Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

Made it through the Walmart trip without a hitch! Not even a HINT of temptation, for which I am utterly grateful. The thought has entered my mind multiple times tonight, though, so I'm glad I'm at home with no need to go out again.

Finished all my cooking, preparation, and dishwashing (my least favorite part - now I wash them as I go so the pile is not as daunting when I finished. Got some exciting things, LOL - air fresheners, olives, carrots, and some macadamia nuts. These can be "no brakes" food for me, so I was grateful that I was able to keep it to the prescribed handful.

Dinner: celebrated a little with some bacon from US Wellness, eggs, a sweet potato with Paleo mayo, tomatoes, and blueberries. Managed to take my digestive enzymes WITH my food this time, hallelujah!

Time to relax in front of the TV and try not to miss my hubby too much...

Christi, saralee, bikergranny...how is everyone?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planning meals for the coming week...

Meal 1: turkey & veggies and avocado, carrots, and olives

Meal 2: beef & veggies and avocado, salad with Paleo mayo, green apple

Preworkout: Egg and hazelnuts/macadamias

Postworkout: Salmon and jicama

Meal 3:

Salmon, mustard chicken, Paleo meatloaf - have lots of stuff ready to go

Have spinach, cucumber and celery chopped up and ready to go for salads

Tomatoes

Blueberries probably

Maybe 1/2 a sweet potato?

Will continue to take my fish oil with D3 and my Lurong Living, and my digestive enzymes WITH my meals. ;) Have some probiotic stuff on the way, LOL.

Workouts:

Crossfit - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

Extra cardio: run 1 mile Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, row 2K Tuesday and Friday

Chiropractor Wednesday

On to days 31-35

I'm so happy to find this forum! I have started and stopped the whole 30 a couple of times. I even started again this morning, and already have to start over tomorrow. Ugh! My 80 year old mother lives with me and she made a pineapple upside down cake. I thought I could have "just one bite". Wrong! So, I have not ever completed a whole 30, and will give it my best shot. I also registered for my first CrossFit competition on August 10th. I am 50, and scared to death! Haha! Any suggestions on tackling the sugar cravings are appreciated!

I'm so happy to find this forum! I have started and stopped the whole 30 a couple of times. I even started again this morning, and already have to start over tomorrow. Ugh! My 80 year old mother lives with me and she made a pineapple upside down cake. I thought I could have "just one bite". Wrong! So, I have not ever completed a whole 30, and will give it my best shot. I also registered for my first CrossFit competition on August 10th. I am 50, and scared to death! Haha! Any suggestions on tackling the sugar cravings are appreciated!

Oh, I see they fixed the quote button!

Welcome!  My best way of tackling to sugar cravings was to eat a lot of fat with my meals.  Fatty meats, avocado, ghee, etc.  I felt fuller and didn't crave as much.  I found I had to toss aside any hope of weight loss (or maintenance) during the first two weeks as I ate lots of Whole30 food to keep me from eating sugar.

Try NOT to use raisins or other dried fruit.  No coconut or coconut water.  Limit nuts.  Those were triggers for me.  I have quite a few Paleo recipes that use dried fruit that I had to modify.

Plan, plan plan!  Have ready-to-eat or ready-to-heat meals in the refrigerator at all times.

I have not completed 30 consecutive days myself, but I have gone 53 of the last 57 days without sugar.  My body feels great (no more hot flashes) compared to how I started back at the end of April.  I can't seem to get past the 2 week mark without eating sugar, so sometimes I wonder if I am still having those mid-cycle cravings (I'm 48).

Yay for your cross fit competition!  I was heavily into competitions until November 2012 and I miss it greatly.  Injury.

~Pam

Welcome! What's your first name? I'm Linda (and earlier in this log you can see an introduction from me, if you haven't already). That would've been hard, to pass up a homemade pineapple upside down cake...yum!

I hadn't completed a Whole30 either until this one. I'm honestly not sure how...I will tell you that one thing was that I got sick of the drama surrounding me and sugar, and I was bound and determined to get control over it once and for all. I think the other thing is that I decided this wouldn't be just 30 days - it is the first 30 days of a WholeLifestyle.

Have you talked to your mom about what you're trying to do, so maybe she can hold off on the sugar-y treats for 30 days?

I think one of the other really big things is to eat ENOUGH. Enough protein, fat, and other carbs. 

And get on here! It felt so good to me to log on here, every day, and talk about what I was doing, feeling, and so forth. You see that I had a fall and had to start again, but that happens, and it doesn't mean you can't make it through. YOU CAN, you really can!

Let us keep hearing from you!

I also registered for my first CrossFit competition on August 10th. I am 50, and scared to death! Haha! Any suggestions on tackling the sugar cravings are appreciated!

Good for you, for your competition! Tell us more...

Thanks so much for the support! My first name is Jakki. 2 eggs with green chili (I'm from NM) 1/2 chick breast and 5 cherry tomatoes for breakfast. Salad and the other half of the chick breast for lunch. Peach for snack. So far, so good. But it's only 7:14 am my time. Haha!

Hi

sorry I've been missing

been off the whole30 wagon...and feeling embarrassed.

it was sugar...here I go again, to slay that dragon.

I can't have ANY!   probably for life.

yeast attacks - pain - inflammation....why oh why don't I learn?

Maybe I am.

it's so hard when all those around you poo poo the point.

but, here I go again!

Lindalee - you are so sweet!  I'll take your friendship over sugar any day! 

Hi

sorry I've been missing

Maybe I am.

but, here I go again!

Don't be embarrassed, and realize you ARE learning even when you 'fail'.   Fighting this sugar demon isn't just about knowing better, it really is a physiological response that hopefully will lesson as we avoid sugar more days than we eat it.  I am the same way.  I have not put together 30 days but I am still happy with my progress.  I hope you are, too.

I wouldn't even discuss what I am doing with the people who poo-poo it.  Why give them the opportunity to spout off about something they know nothing about?  

Here you go again!  I wish you the best.

Pam H, thank you. Good point about not even discussing with the nay sayers!

Last night, as i was fighting an ice cream craving, I remembered, I am a sexual abuse survivor. My mantra to heal was"I will not let this control me! " that is going to be my mantra against the abuse sugar does to my system! I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTROL ME! I CONTROL MY CHOICES, THEY DO NOT CONTROL ME!

Thanks for being here!

Pam H, thank you. Good point about not even discussing with the nay sayers! Last night, as i was fighting an ice cream craving, I remembered, I am a sexual abuse survivor. My mantra to heal was"I will not let this control me! " that is going to be my mantra against the abuse sugar does to my system! I WILL NOT LET THIS CONTROL ME! I CONTROL MY CHOICES, THEY DO NOT CONTROL ME! Thanks for being here!

OH, so sorry to hear your back story a bit.   :(    I think you also need to remember that your body and brain are calling out for something.  So, don't just work to control your urges, thoughts and actions, but find another way to calm and nurture you body and spirit.  You filled that void with food.  Find another filling!  It won't be smooth and it won't always be easy, but there are healthier ways to manage the stress and the anxiety and the sadness and the cravings that come along with it.

Feed your body well and it will reward you.  For that I am certain.  Your mind will follow in time.  You have a lot of history that molded who you are today and you cannot expect 30 days to fix it.  Even 30 consecutive compliant Whole30 days!

Each day you don't eat sugar and each day you treat yourself well is a victory.  <3

Hi

sorry I've been missing

Maybe I am.

but, here I go again!

Lindalee - you are so sweet!  I'll take your friendship over sugar any day! 

Christi - don't be embarrassed! I can't tell you how many times I tried - for a year - before I finally finished this one. Every day, every hour you fight the fight, you are winning, just like Pam said. Even if you don't string 30 days together, my guess is that you are eating better than you ever did before.

I finished my 30 days on Sunday! Yay! 

Monday and Tuesday I ate Paleo all day, then indulged with some ice cream after dinner. I have to say, though, it wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be. It was kind of meh. I was kind of jigging - thinking "AT LAST! ICE CREAM HAS LOST ITS HOLD OVER ME!" 

Monday and Tuesday Crossfit also kicked my butt. Yesterday we did deadlifts. Now, most Crossfitters love deadlifts - big weights, easy lift. Not me. I have a hard time maintaining my lumbar curvature because of my bad sacral joint, and when I get heavy, it's hard for me to maintain good form. So my deadlifts are ridiculously light. And last night I should've gone lighter. Man, was I hurting afterward. Scary hurt. I resorted to Ibuprofen when I went to bed, and I never do that - it's usually ice and Biofreeze.

I've come to the conclusion that I can continue to Crossfit, but I've got to check my ego at the door and keep my weights light. I simply cannot lift heavy or I'm going to hurt myself. When I workout smart, I get stronger, but when I push too hard, I make things worse. It's kind of hard, knowing I may never have a 200 pound deadlift or even a 75-pound snatch, but on the other hand - I don't really care. I just like being with my Crossfit community, and I know they don't care how many bumper plates are on my bar. My workout is just as hard. And I'd rather keep going than do that one lift that takes me out for weeks or months or even for good. 

So.

Today was a rest day. Thank goodness, because around 11:30, I started to feel really, really lousy. Flushed, like I was getting a fever, and kind of sick to my stomach. Maybe the ice cream, maybe not. I made it through most of the day, though I'm not sure how useful I was, then headed home about a half-hour early. I planned to take a nap, but I never quite made it there - I got a phone call while I was making some nice eggs about an emergency admission to our facility tomorrow. Crazy evening.

Had some eggs, bacon, tomatoes, and green apple...

OH! And my husband and stepson came here yesterday! So the ice cream Monday was to celebrate finishing my Whole30, and Tuesday because my husband was here. :)

But today I have been strong, and that was one of my other goals...to be able to just have a treat day (or two) and then get right back on. I'm hungry now and have a sore throat, so I'm a little crave-y, but I'm going to be strong. :)

Pam is right on target about the other things too...you gotta nurture all of you, and as you do, the hunger that has nothing to do with food will subside.

And when people poo-poo...come on here! We will NEVER poo poo you!

Archived