Coffee Dragon?

I have a bad addiction to creamy, sugar filled coffee. I had no idea I had such a strong addiction! I've been trying to drink it black with coconut milk. I have no other sugar dragon cravings (cake, candy, etc) but damn I crave a caramel latte like crazy. I think because black coffee just does not taste the same.

Help? Should I go longer than 30 days regarding coffee to try and slay this dragon?

I have no idea what you should do. But I can tell you not giving up my coffee was a unanimous requirement of my family for me. *blush*

I don't drink it anywhere near as often as I used to. But my big achievement from my w30 was to move closer to healthier by only having 1 mug of bulletproof coffee per day. Now I like it way better than milk and sugar. But it's butter. Sigh. I can't find ghee and I don't know if that would work as well, but it's worth a try for w30 compatible coffee. Yes?

I decided to give up coffee for my W100. I do not care for coconut milk in my coffee at all and I simply do not care for black coffee even if it's very high quality. Now I drink an occasional BP (it is just as good with ghee) or tea or kombucha.

I decided to give up coffee for my W100. I do not care for coconut milk in my coffee at all and I simply do not care for black coffee even if it's very high quality.

Ditto.

I gave up coffee for my W30, mostly bc I was having anxiety issues and knew my coffee habit (2-3 cups with half and half, plus a large latte most days) wasn't helping.

When my w30 was over I tried really good coffee with CM and I dumped it out. First bc it was, TBH, hell to quit and second bc it was not enjoyable. (And I like coconut products in general.)

The sugar + cream + caffeine combo is very powerful. If you are still craving it I would, if it were me, stay away for awhile longer. Those drinks really mess with hunger cues and digestive hormones. And it feels great to not be a slave to coffee. I still drink green tea but I can actually function when I wake up--as opposed to before when I could barely form a sentence before coffee.

Bonus: no more $ on lattes or grass-fed or organic half and half.

But it's butter. Sigh. I can't find ghee and I don't know if that would work as well, but it's worth a try for w30 compatible coffee. Yes?

From what I gather, it's pretty straight forward to make ghee. There are threads about it and prob 8,000 vids on YouTube.

Alternatively, you can buy grass-fed ghee on Amazon.

I guess coffee is more of a habit as well. Get to work, turn on my computer, make cup of coffee. Drink coffee while I work. Without coffee, what am I supposed to do? I know it's a rhetorical question but this is more mental than physical for me. I mean, breaking habits I've had for the past 7 years is hard. Thanks guys.

I won't lie. In the days leading up to my W30 I was practically crying thinking about quitting coffee. It was serious grief!

My coffee was often my only self-care. My coffee drinking time, that first hot creamy sip, was sometimes the best part of my day. Sounds pitiful, but it's true. I would use it as a treat, a reward, an escape, a way to socialize, etc.

It's like smoking. Aside from nicotine/caffeine, you get addicted to the rituals, the socializing, the emotional bonds even that come from it.

I still haven't gone back to making a thermos of coffee for my husband, which I used to do daily, bc I know I will want some! I still love the smell. I still want a giant foamy latte when I drop my son of at school, or it's rainy, or I'm tired, I feel bummed out, happy, mad, anxious: whatever!

But I feel much better without it. Sometimes I get a giant green tea at the coffee shop. Still pricey, but $2.50 v $4.95. I never thought of myself as a tea person, but now I am. I walk around with a thermos full of green or herbal tea and I drink it the same way I drank coffee.

Beets that is exactly how I feel. I have 3 little boys under 5 so on the weekend I like to enjoy my cup of coffee on the weekends before the chaos starts in my house.

Now that it is warmer outside, I have been drinking iced coffee with CM. not bad, but i need to think of giving it up :( :(

I had a serious coffee addiction before my whole 30I drank the majority of my calories and grazed all day long ( the highs and lows sucked! I was a moody hot mess! I during my whole 30 I tried black coffee and it was not for me! Then I heard about bulletproof coffee, tried it and was hooked! The best part was after drinking my BP coffee

( after meal one on the way to work) I didn't crave or need coffee the rest of the day, and was energetic and my mood was good.(no highs/lows!) . 19 days post whole 30 I still haven't had a coffee with sweetener/ creamer, and am done drinking coffee before 9 am so my water consumption has gone way up! 😄

I am a HUGE fan of bulletproof coffee (obviously?)

And clarifying butter is easy ( I prefer clarified butter to ghee... )

Bethann - that's been my experience too. One cup of bulletproof and I'm good for the day. I did make a rule for myself that I must eat breakfast first or with it, but on my really busy days, I still do way way better with only bulletproof than regular coffee with milk and sugar. I never crave more than the one 6am morning cup ritual. Even when I pour a cup to share socially with company, I rarely have more than a few sips. And I don't have the high/lows like I used to either. It's not as perfect as giving up coffee entirely. I have no problems admitting that, but it's light years better than cream or milk and sugar for me.

I'm going to look into where I can buy some ghee again bc I want to see if that further improves things.

Maybe someday I will be able to give up coffee entirely, but today isn't going to be that day, so I'll make it as best I can. :)

It is my one indulgence. I might have a Chardonnay twice a month, but other than my bulletproof coffee once a day, my only beverage is water.

I've read multiple times about this bulletproof coffee. I'm not convinced butter will taste good in my coffee. I will try to experiment this weekend, as I dont have time in the morning to mess with my blender.

I am currently drinking tea at my desk. Not the same, but it tastes way better than black coffee ;)

I highly recommend the bullet proof coffee! I too, loved my coffee with cream and sweetener. At least I had switched to stevia, but still. I've been on other diets that cut out coffee completely and had a really hard time. I was dabbling in Paleo so the Whole 30 seem like a good fit and the fact I can have coffee sold me. I'm on day 7 and it's been pretty easy. I was leery about the coconut oil and ghee in my coffee but compared to black its fantastic. No, it's not the same as cream and sugar but it's not that bad either. The trick it to blend it so the oil does not rise to the top. I still have 2 cups a day but the fat satisfies me till lunch and I don't crave anything else.

So, I'm still on my coffee... But I'm down to 2 cups/day instead of 3. I put coconut milk in mine, occasionally add some coconut oil or clarified butter to it too. I'm too lazy (& often too rushed) to break out the magic bullet to blend the coffee, so I just continually stir mine as I drink it. I've managed to cut back on the coconut milk I add to my coffee, and hopefully I can cut back to 1 cup of coffee per day, at least on days that I don't workout in the mornings before work (sometimes those early workout mornings before work just require 2 cups of coffee). Either way, I was a splenda nut with my coffee. Not a ton of it (2 packets per cup), but on days that I'd have 3 cups, that's 6 packets every morning. I will say that I'm not missing the splenda/sweetness in my coffee and adapting quite well to only having CM. It is a habit that I'm fairly certain will continue after my W45 (extending due to an overlooked soy ingredient in my canned tuna... *facepalm* <_< ). Now if I could just get my husband to ditch the sweeteners... no longer would we have to buy those stupid 1000-count boxes of splenda packets at Sam's!

Anyway, JustAMom... you can clarify your own butter... just melt it down on the stovetop, let all those milk proteins come to the top, then strain it through fine mesh sieve/coffee filter/cheesecloth, and put back in the fridge! From what I've read, letting the milk proteins brown at the bottom of the pan is what makes it more like ghee than clarified butter, which is what I'll be doing next (I was short on time when I made the clarified butter).

I actually BECAME a coffee drinker so that I could do the W30. I was a diet soda drinker and I can't go without caffeine b/c of migraines. Months ago I started with heavy cream in mine -- and that's def how I prefer it, but I am now using coconut milk and spoonful of coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Sometimes I toss some butter in there, but I don't mess with the blender -- just make sure it's melted and throw it in, and stir a lot. It's a great, creamy taste.

I can't stand coffee with coconut milk either. I got used to having it black, although I usually use a very freshly roasted coffee (I buy direct from a local roaster)

My rules are to only have the first coffee after breakfast, no more than 2 cups a day, and the second one no later than lunch time.

Archived