Starting Day 1 tomorrow 5/20! Anyone else?

JenniferC

Greetings!

I am looking forward to day 1 of my new lifestyle! A little about me: 45 yr old married mom to one rambunctious 7 yr old boy. Full time college student (3 semesters left!) and small business owner. I am the heaviest I have ever been. Ugh. I gained almost 20lbs in the last 3 months due to a medication, I am weaning off of it, and pneumonia. I feel so unhealthy right now and am determined to see this through. I want my son, and husband, to see me healthy. My biggest fear is slaying the sugar dragon. Very nervous about it as I am definitely a sugar-Splenda addict. I would love some support and company as I embark on this adventure! Feel free to ask questions or give advice :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there! I'm starting tomorrow but I may not make it the whole 30 days - which sounds really bad I know but the situation is this: we're planning a trip home sometime between now and the end of July. I havent been back in over 2 years and i KNOW there's no way I'll be able to go without cheating on the Whole30. But I also don't want to wait till after we get back to get started and the fact is I dont know when exactly we are going because there's a few things that have to fall in place first. So my plan is to do the Whole30 up until we go, have a few indulgences while we're there but eat clean as much as possible besides those FEW exceptions and the start over with the Whole30 as soon as we're home. If I make it the full 30 days before our trip, I still plan to start over when we get back.

I know its unconventional but that's the only way i can deal with it and i really want to get off the junk food binge I've been on. NOW.

So yeah - I'll be around!

I too am officially starting tomorrow. I'm married, 44 and have a 7 year old daughter who is quite the Diva! I am committed to the full 30 days as well as getting back on track with my workouts. I'm also nervous about slaying the sugar dragon but I know it can be done if thousands before us have done it as well. I have about 25 pounds to lose. I just want to be healthy again and I'm tired of my cheat days turning into "cheat months"! I'll check back in tomorrow!

I'm thinking of starting tomorrow, too. I say "thinking" because I have not done any planning or meal prep or grocery shopping, but I have already done a whole 30 (in September) so I kind of remember what to do. I may just jump into it tomorrow and see how it goes, if not I'll restart after I have time to plan. I am 43, married and have a 16 yr old daughter and a 11 yr old son. I'd love to lose about 10 - 15 pounds and for the past 3 weeks with careful calorie counting and exercising I have not lost a pound! Feeling discouraged and like I need to do something drastic to kickstart my body. I have definitely been eating too many sweets and think I have a problem with gluten (achy joints). I successfully completed a whole 30 and lost 10 pounds but never felt great. I was constantly tired and never got the enrgy everyone raves about. I really hope I get the energy this time around because I am so tired of being tired all the time. Good luck and I'll check in tomorrow.

Yay it's day one of the rest of our lives! I have to say that it was nice to make myself breakfast this morning with actual fat in it and not feel guilty about eating it. My biggest problems are not drinking anything sweet and making sure I don't do the normal mom thingy of tasting what we prepare or what is left on our kid's plates. Oh, and checking the ingredient labels on everything. How about you all?

I am starting today too!! :) I made up some meals last night :) I can't wait. My best friend did this in January and she has been changed ever since!! I am 29, returning to school to get my Masters, and starting to train for a 5k.... Oy it's going to be quite a month! So glad others are starting today too!! Congrats everyone!!!

I'm in too. I actually started yesterday. This will be my 6th W30 since July. I was doing really well, but somehow over the last month I woke up my Sugar Dragon, Rocco. He is wide awake, very hungry, and very cranky.

I'm a sugar addicted stress eater who can't say no to homemade cookie's n' cream with chocolate sprinkles. My weight is creeping up. I know this by the way my clothes feel - I refuse to even look at the scale.

So I'm starting over. So far so good, but I'm hungry and craving sweets like crazy. I know I will get through it but I'm going to be white-knuckling it for a few days.

Good luck to everyone. It's going to be an exciting month - we can do this. :D

Hey! I am starting today too! I need to try and kick my addition to stevia! I have been eating Paleo for awhile but decided I needed the final push! I am 22 and about to start my Master's program... what better time to do a Whole30 than right now?! My biggest concern with this is my mindless snacking... three meals a day is going to be a challenge! Good luck to everyone!

I am starting today too. I am a working mother of two little girls and life is pretty busy. We just moved in the last few months and I think the stress of a job transition and school changes and everything just allowed my eating to get off track. I also hit 36 years old just a few months ago. I know, not too old, but usually I can just start kicking my workout in gear and the lbs come off and I feel great. I have been working out for the last month and find I am still feeling sluggish and all my summer clothes are too tight :( .

So what better time to get my diet in check. I have never done something like this before. I have always just been mindful of my eating and thought I ate pretty healthy. Although I am seeing that my carbs have constantly put me in a state of hunger.

I think that is what I am most excited and interested to discover- I have huge blood sugar drops during the day and hit a lot of famished states. I know when I eat more protein this changes. My husband thinks I am wacky, but it's true. So here we go....

I'm hopeful.

My goals:

Fitness: work out 5 days a week (1 day of yoga) and walk everyday

Eating- follow the program

Spirit- work on my devotional life

Mind: I need to start reading again. 2 books a month.

Looking forward to this journey with all of you.

Joanna

I think this is symbolic! I've just found this site and today is a starting day. I have to do it!! And my birthday is in a month,

so it would be my own birthday present if I do it.

So I am starting today. My biggest problem- eating at night, after 8 pm.Then I am most hungry and eat whatever is available.

Good luck everyone!

I am starting today - May 20th! Made ground pork and sweet potato hash for breakfast. Not so used to eating meat in the morning, actually felt a little nauseous. But it's 11:30am now and I feel great, not a bit hungry. Usually I'm starving again by 10 am! Good luck everyone!

I am starting today too. I did a Whole30 back for the month of March and felt awesome! But a few bad habits have crept bag in so I am doing another one. I am nearly 44, and a working mother of a 6 year old Diva (ha ha ha). My husband isn't doing the whole30 with me but he and my daughter are supportive and help me to stick with the program.

For me, breakfasts and lunches (and no snacks) are pretty easy for me. My challenge is after-dinner, when I am cleaning up the kitchen or handling tasks and my daughter has gone to bed and my husband is out working out. I am too quick to enter the pantry that has my daughter's snacks... frankly I like them more than she does! I know that I feel better when I get 2 strict days under my belt, so am starting today then have a 2 day business trip later this week where I think I can maintain discipline.

What I love about whole30 is that there are no "decisions" or negotiations to make... there is no leeway... the rules are simple and not subject to bending. There is something liberating to be able to say "I don't eat that kind of food for 30 days".

Hi, I've started today too! I'm looking forward to feeling good about what I eat. I've gained weight over the last year due to medication and bad choices and want to get back in charge of my food, not the other way round...my only worry is breakfast, not sure about eating anything other than fruit, but it's only for 30 days. Here goes, best wishes to everyone

I love seeing all of the posts! I just made my first batch of ghee and used some on a plate of steamed veggies... So yummy! My biggest problem so far, other than my kiddo overflowing the toilet (gross), is craving something sweet to drink. I'm drinking seltzer and trying to stay busy. I already feel a little less bloated but I have about 70 lbs to lose so its hard to tell. How is everyone doing so far?

Snap! I made my first ghee too...it looks like lemon curd. Today has been good, I've been busy reading up on what I can and can't eat as well looking through endless recipes trying to find something for breakfasts, sorry meal 1, when I decided to throw in the towel and go for it so have made a big pan of chilli; I have always eaten cereal and fruit for breakfast so is a challenge for me but intend to meet it head on!

Love not feeling hungry 2 hours after I eat. Feeling good today and meals were all tasty. Didn't have time to plan meals and found myself at the grocery store just loading up on veggies and some meat. I usually have to shop every 3 days as I don't have a big fridge and seem to run out of fresh produce quickly. Hopefully I can throw together a few meals and hope to sit down tonight and plan for the week. I've made some great and not so great whole 30 recipes. Please post any recipes you've tried and loved and where you got them from. I need some ideas!

I started today, too! I am a 33 year old working mother of a 2 year old boy. I found today challenging... My husband works evenings so I am on my own with the baby after work. It's almost impossible to cook and take care of my son. I don't really like to cook, either.

I have TERRIBLE eating habits that I really need to change. This will be good in the end. But today I'm just missing all the foods im not eating right now.

Happy Day 2! Or not, lol. The sugar dragon has reared it's massive head and my sword feels dull. Worst. Craving. Ever. I'm filled with determination to not let it get it me but holy guacamole this part isn't easy. Off to make my Whole 30 breakfast: scrambled eggs with tons of green peppers and onions- very delish and filling. Have not had any fruit yet as I'm afraid it will make me want more sugar. Any advice?

Good morning everyone. Well day one went well minus a dull headache after 3pm until I went to bed. I think it's from my decision to cut my coffee out of my life for a while. I felt really full. I guess that would be my concern that I ate too much. We had flank steak for dinner with fried plantains and then veggies in guacamole. It was good, but a lot. My headache seems better this morning. Yeah!

I had a crazy dream last night about eating pretzels and that I accidentally ate one so had to start the whole 30 over. I don't even like pretzels and so I was really annoyed about it.

Here's to day two!

in reply to Jennifer C's post about the sugar dragon: I also fight the sugar addiction everyday, so I have two tools I am using for this 30 day detox. First, this is a 4 part article on sugar addiction and has some really good tips. http://app4mind.com/...to-do-about-it/ Second, I made a list of other things to do to calm or reward myself and I am using those instead of sugar. Things like a glass of tea, mineral water with lemon, a bubble bath, 60 seconds of deep breathing, yoga, etc. Hope this helps!!

I say go for the fruit, I think it helps. I tried to avoid fruit and sweet potatoes on my last whole 30 (i guess I thought they would make me want sugar) but I eventually started eating them and felt better. I've eaten both these past 2 days and have not had any cravings. I was not even hungry for dinner tonight. I had a few bites of the pulled pork I made and a small banana with almonds and coconut flakes just so I would not be hungry at 11 pm tonight. I would start by eating fruit once a day and see how you feel. I still plan to limit to once a day because I am trying to lose weight too (also trying to limit nuts for the same reason).

Thanks so much for the great advice! I really appreciate it. I'm currently in day 3 misery : headache, nauseous, indigestion and fatigue. Oh, and the most horrible taste in my mouth. Willing myself to persevere through it! It has to get batter!

How is everyone else doing?

I had a harder day too. I thought it might be my late meeting last night, but think its the food change as well. I broke down and had some green tea to get through the headache. I know I can have caffeine, I was just trying not to. Ate lunch out for the first time too, which resulted in my being hungry, as I could only have a salad with minimum protein on top. Dinner went better but I am ready to put this day behind me.

Archived