Starting Day 1 tomorrow 5/20! Anyone else?

JenniferC

I had to work early today which threw off my normal eating schedule. I ate breakfast even though I was not hungry and a small lunch. I was late getting dinner started and I was starving. Also, kinda craved something sweet after dinner but I think it was the kid's eating candy and me being stressed about dinner. I did not have any desire to eat the platters of doughnuts and pastries or the candy from the candy bar at our work meeting today. I'm feeling fine but remember having a hard time my first go around so hang in there, it'll pass.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else having headaches & muscle cramps? My calves woke me up SCREAMING this morning around 4:30 am! I, too, started on the 20th so this is officially Day 4! Wahooo!!! Last night was my 1st severe temptation -- eating at the Mother-in-Law's! She had peanut M&M's ON.THE.TABLE. I nearly died. Had to remove myself from the table & eat in the living room instead. I came prepared though - brought my own sweet potato chips to dinner & everyone was jealous that I was eating something different! They are really delish! Slice sweet potatoes very thin "chip-like", then toss in olive oil & rosemary. Bake @ 425 for 15-20 minutes or until crispy. Be sure to flip once, halfway thru baking. Also, my friend said brussel sprouts are very good this way: cut in half (lengthwise), tossed in olive oil & sea salt & baked at 400 for 10-15 minutes. These have helped me get through the last couple of days! Hope they can be of some help to you all! :)

Yay for Day 5! I definitely feel better than days 2 & 3. Headache isn't as bad. I can relate to the aching calves. My back has been aching but I think it's due to my gut being irritated. The awful taste in my mouth has subsided slightly too. I think this is one of the most difficult things I have ever done. In the top 5 anyway ;) Thanks for the chip recipe! Those sound great!

My back has been hurting too. Good to know I am not alone. We are throwing a BBQ on Sunday. I am glad it's at our place since I can control some healthy food options. Still a little nervous about it and eating well. Looking ahead its going to be a tough month with grad parties and family birthday celebrations. I have to remember to take a day at a time.

I discovered I am not a fan of sweet potato cakes, anyone found something other than eggs they are loving for meal 1?

The headaches are the absolute worst for me! Day 5 - 4th day of headaches. All day. Hoping a nice relaxing weekend will make them melt away! Birthday party this weekend - will be bringing my own food to the party & sipping a mocktail :) Sparkling water & frozen raspberries in my wine glass make me feel fancy!

I've been drinking my sparkling water out of a wine glass but my mouth is not fooled. It just wants the wine. Oh well. Today's meals were not that good so not feeling quite satisfied. I think that I do not like any kind of egg bake (casserole, muffins, etc.). I've tried a few for quick reheated breakfasts and just don't like them. I also feel that way about reheated chicken (darn, I have one more cooked chicken breast to choke down). That means less precooking and more cooking at mealtimes for me. I'm off to find some tasty recipes.

Yeah day 6. Well my back still hurts while I sleep, but overall I feel pretty good. I made a whole chicken yesterday, and it was awesome, and am in the process of making chicken stock. The curry recipes have been a good go-to for lunch especially if I have left over meat.

Congrats to everyone. You are all doing great.

Day 8!!!!! We made it through the first week! How is everyone? My back and legs are still achy, although not as bad. Headaches are subsiding too. I have found my sugar cravings aren't as constant more like super strong on occasion, but I would kill for a plain baked potato with sour cream. I'm getting a little bored with meat & veggies. I think I need to try out some recipes. I'm thrilled to have made it this far though!

Yeah bored with meat and veggies, too. I find myself not wanting to eat a meal because I don't want the meat and veggies I have prepped in the fridge. Made a casserole tonight ant it was better than meat with a side of veggies. Found myself craving a smoothie and I don't usually like them. Think I just want something cold and creamy.

I am glad to know I am not the only one with a sore back. My lower back is really bothering me, and way more than usual. I am starting to question if this is bad. When am I supposed to feel good? This was a tough weekend. We had a party, and so I could control having some healthy foods, but temptations were everywhere. My mother in law made one of my favorite pasta salads and an artichoke dip to die for. I ate a lot of almonds just to make it through. I did it, but wanted a cracker so badly! I am ready for the work week to stop so all the temptations diminish. Did any of you struggle too? Plus, all of the spring get togethers. I haven't seen a good friend in forever who wants to meet for a glass of wine. Would love to, but.... Alright it's been a whole week of good food. I can do this. I can do this. Thanks for the support.

Have any of you bought the ISWF book? There are TONS of good recipes & variations of food in there. This weekend I made homemade mayo, bbq sauce & a TO-DIE-FOR avocado dressing! These few items really spiced up my food choices for the holiday weekend. From that, I was able to make ribs w/ my bbq sauce; a delicious Mexicali Meat (deconstructed taco) w/ avocado dressing, and some homemade chicken salad (w/ the mayo) that I served in a romaine wrap. All very very good! I, too, was starting to get bored w/ my food... until I started reading this book. The weekend was pretty tough, as I had visitors the ENTIRE time. Last night, everyone was drinking beer; eating chips & dip; chowing down on ice cream & burgers; etc. etc. BUT I felt so much better doing something different! Yeah I had a burger - but no bun; I had my sweet potato chips & my delicious new take on coleslaw; and I had a slice of watermelon, which made me feel festive! No, I wasn't drinking; but I still had a great time. Kept myself busy playing ping pong & serving delicious food. I feel so much better because of my choices, too! I'm starting to feel the *magic* and have more energy to boot! Last day in the single digits y'all! Keep up the good work :D

I am also starting to feel pretty good! I have been adding a lot of variety with recipes from the Mark's Daily Apple site http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ and PaleOMG site http://paleomg.com/. This has kept the boredom at bay and also gotten me through the holiday weekend with a ton of temptations all around! My in-laws were also in town for the weekend and they are both very over weight and dealing with health issues, so it felt really good to a be good influence on them and have them asking questions and actually thinking about their food choices. :rolleyes:

How is everyone doing? Day 10! Woot, woot. My back pain is almost gone and I do feel better than I have. Although I have really wanted to snack, not even because I am hungry but just to have a treat at the end of the day. Perhaps I need to research a evening tea or something other than sleepy time, which is fine but kind of blah. I have a big weekend for work and organized meals that I think will be hard, but attempting to take a day at a time. What are people's favorite meals so far. I do like the plantains with salt and have enjoyed a red curry with coconut milk over various proteins for lunch. Others?

Have a good one!

Thanks for the great recipes. How is everyone doing? I had a two day assembly which made eating tough. The first night I lucked out and they had a chicken salad with dressing on the side so I held the dressing and ate everything else. The second day I was smart and thought far enough ahead and made my own lunch (chicken salad with grapes and almonds so good). I feel good about making it through another weekend. Only two more to go. Weekends are the hardest. I will say that overall I feel good. My back ache has been gone for a while now as has the headache and the abdominal aches.

How is everyone else feeling? My hardest times are when I need a quick meal and I don't have the ingredients on hand. I am also struggling with breakfast. I think I might try to make some egg muffins. Has anyone done that?

Hi all - Just jumping on this thread now - but I too started my first Whole 30 on May 20th. So far so good. Last week was the toughest for me - sugar cravings galore. I managed to make it through a summer bbq today without cheating. I made and brought an awesome salad that I'm hooked on. So basically I ate that and a burger and I was good although the cake and ice cream were soooo tempting!!! I feel like I can do this all the way though - 14 days in now and feeling great. I decided to do this because I needed to do SOMETHING to help me get rid of some baby bulge and squeeze into a bridesmaids dress that is one size too small for my brother's wedding in the middle of July. I know that we're not supposed to take measurements or weigh or anything but I've been trying on the dress once a week for quite some time because I have to know if I will need to get it let out in time for the wedding - but today it ZIPPED!! Hooray!! No alterations for me!

1/2 way there! Day 15!!!! Yay us!

I can't believe it has been 15 days already. I am feeling so much better, better than I have in years. It is amazing to realize how much processed crud I was putting into my body. Yuck! My energy isn't through he roof yet but it is a vast improvement. I can also see that I have lost some weight. I am glad that I gave the scale to my husband to hide or I would probably have weighed myself and started obsessing about it. I conquered 2 fears this weekend: went to my son's school carnival and did not indulge in even one morsel of fresh, hot cotton candy being eaten by everyone with me 2. Went out to dinner and didn't eat the chips/salsa, drink a margarita ( that everyone else was having) or eat the ice cream. That being said, the margarita craving was brutal. Today I am taking cupcakes- from a bakery, could not do it myself lol - to my son's class for his birthday. This will be tough as they are in my top 10 favorite foods. I need some breakfast ideas. Really bored with what I have been eating to get veggies in.

How is everyone? Looking forward to hearing how you all are faring!

Thanks for the great recipes. How is everyone doing? I had a two day assembly which made eating tough. The first night I lucked out and they had a chicken salad with dressing on the side so I held the dressing and ate everything else. The second day I was smart and thought far enough ahead and made my own lunch (chicken salad with grapes and almonds so good). I feel good about making it through another weekend. Only two more to go. Weekends are the hardest. I will say that overall I feel good. My back ache has been gone for a while now as has the headache and the abdominal aches.

How is everyone else feeling? My hardest times are when I need a quick meal and I don't have the ingredients on hand. I am also struggling with breakfast. I think I might try to make some egg muffins. Has anyone done that?

I have made egg muffins before. They are tasty! You just gave me the reminder to make some. I like them with baby spinach and sausage in them. You can even wrap them, freeze them and then microwave for a quick go-to snack or breakfast. Let us know if you make them!

FYI, I conquered a MAJOR goal this weekend!!! I bake for all my friends and family in my "home bakery" (not my job, but definitely my passion) and had a special request put in for a birthday party on Saturday. The recipe for the icing was SO crazy! It called for 4 CUPS of powdered sugar, strawberry jam, cream cheese, butter AND heavy whipping cream! Not ONCE did I lick my fingers while making this icing and that, my friends, is a huge obstacle! As a matter of fact, it nearly made me sick knowing that I was actually going to serve up all this sugar to so many people :(  On the flip side, I was able to eat some strawberries while every one else noshed down on cake! Made me feel empowered!

So proud of us all for making it to the half way mark! :wub:  :D  I ate a couple of Laura bars yesterday, so probably a little too much fruit sugar, but we were on a boat and it beat out the other food choices by far. Otherwise feeling great. The not weighing myself is killing me, because I JUST WANT TO KNOW! :) Though I seem to have a mental block at certain weights, so I think it is smart that the WHOLE 30 crew suggests you do not weigh in until the end.

<b>

Jennifer C I have made the muffins, but they were only ok, so share if you have a great recipe!

I think I might try these. http://theskinnyconfidential.com/2012/09/25/ummm-seriously-dying-ingredient-pancakes-flourless-full-protein/ this looks like a nice change for breakfast and I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course no maple syrup, but some fruit on it sound delightful. I made the egg muffins and they are so, so. Congrats everyone on being over half way done! Yippee!

So how is everyone doing this fine day 18? So I have a Whole 30 dilemma. When I started this, I knew we had plans to go with a few couples for drinks on the 8th, and I had given myself permission to still do that when the time came, but honestly I am feeling so good I am just not sure I want to. Thoughts?

Congrats on making it to Day 18, it's great that you're feeling so good! I would skip the drinks and finish out strong if it were me. Just becuse you gave yourself permission before doesn't mean you have to follow through with it. Plus, I bet you'll feel a whole lot better about yourself on Day 30 when you know you gave it your all. There will be plenty of other opportunities to indulge in adult libations in the future. 

Archived