Third time lucky

melbournegirl

Day2 9 hours sleep. Thought about an early morning walk but it was icy, 2 degrees C

M1 leftover chicken curry, pumpkin soup and a handful of blueberries all mixed together. The good thing about being an old hand at this is having plenty of compliant food around!

Managed a fast walk at lunchtime

M2 chicken and celery soup, vege soup and a tin of salmon

M3 steak, ghee, tomato, zucchini, broccoli, potato and bacon plus some blueberries.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 insomnia and the carb flu... Headache and nausea :(

M1 chicken curry with celery soup which I discover has a small amount of corn kernels in :(

Since I am doing this more for behavioural changes re food and reducing inflammation from coffee, cocoa and coconut I won't make n issue of it. I no longer exclude white potatoes but I do want to avoid corn generally.

M2 at 2pm after taking my mum to chemo... Turkey mince with sweet potato, zucchini, cinnamon, salt, pepper, blueberries and eggs plus a mandarin from my tree.

M3 salmon, sweet potato, beans, potatoes, pumpkin

Day 4 still got the nausea but slept much better

Early M1 three chicken bits, half a carrot and some soup then off to the market

M2 some beef burger, avocado, bacon and celery soup

M3 eggs, sweet potato, blueberries, cantaloupe

M4 pork carnitas, broccoli, pumpkin, potato, raisins, pumpkin seeds and one cup of cocoa

Windy tummy today, eggs? Or cantaloupe?

• 3 weeks later...

Day 1 went well,

Three meals, a walk at lunchtime, some berries and nuts after dinner, mainly decaf coffee and a good nights sleep

Day 2 off to a good start with an early morning boxing class. Too busy today to eat more than a reasonable minimum.

Made a pot of soup and a pot of breakfast mince after dinner to keep me going for a few days

Hi Juzbo, just wanted to read up on your story, I so appreciate your encouragement on mine!  Wow, a Whole100!  I know that was a while ago, but how was that?  Was it just normal after awhile?  I wonder if I could pull that off.  It must be hard not to absentmindedly "cheat" by accident in that amount of time!  That's really impressive. How did you feel at the end of that?  

Thanks Bethany, I really needed the 100 to break my sugar addiction and discover and accept my limitations. It really changed my life. I know I can live without grains or dairy. And my perspective on junk food has changed completely. I still have some but is has to resemble real food, frankenfoods are completely out.

Unfortunately the 100 never really became normal and I did react to the limitations by eating too much. But I also learnt just how much nuts, coffee, cocoa and coconut really stuff me up.

I don't get sick and all my blood work and health tests are normal for the first time in years. I still have some skin problems but way better and without any meds too.

Now I just have to keep the balance.... When I don't have coffee it is easy. Unfortunately I have just had a stint of coffee for about 4 weeks... Travelling didnt help.... Also still recovering a bit from my surgery in may and dealing with the stress of helping my mum through her chemo treatments. So I have been struggling to get into a good routine.

But enough with the excuses, going to have my First coffee free day today!

Thanks for caring!

How did your coffee free day go? I gave up caffeine on may 15th during my 75 days. I was so tired for a few days. I hope that if you get tired you can power through it. I'm still off that 1 cup of caffeine at 6am and I'm sleeping so much better. Who knew it could make such a difference! I'm sorry about your mum. That's great news about your blood tests.

Hi Calee. Yesterday was fine... It's today that I'm hurting :(..... It's really cold here and I have a really sore stiff neck but I know it's the caffeine withdrawal primarily. I'm usually fine by day four so only tomorrow to get though now.... It's 5 pm here. Thanks for the encouragement. I really am healthier without coffee and its good to hear others find that too! I must say I was surprised that the tests I had last week were so good, just goes to show that these days even when I am feeling unhealthy I am still way ahead of the game due to having such a good nutrition base.

So I'm still looking to complete my third 30 successfully, or at least 30 days of template meals and near compliant foods... Not worried about less than 1% sugar in bacon or white potatoes...

I've spent the last three days recovering from coffee withdrawal after my longest stint on coffee for awhile ... 4 weeks... Which has messed up my skin and mood.

And like Derval I'm ready to get back on the train!

Day 1

M1 heirloom yellow carrot, cucumber slices, half tomato, bacon and an egg. Licorice tea.

M2 beef and vege stirfry, black tea

M3 small grapefruit, stuffed mushrooms, small avocado

M4 roast chicken and veg, blueberries, egg, macadamias, raisins..... But no wine - yay!

Short walk at lunchtime before the rain.

Depressing visit to see my sister in hospital :(

Day2 woke up with a head and neck ache still....

M1 bacon, potato and carrot soup with some cucumber and raspberries

M2 avocado

M3 chicken and roast veg plus broccoli, cocoa

M4 pumpkin soup, turkey mince, veg and salad, pumpkin chips with ghee, egg and blueberries. Sounds like a lot, didnt seem like it at the time.

Went for a lunchtime walk.

Skin is healing...avocado and no coffee

Stomach is bloated...avocado

I miss coffee too, but I think it's mostly the social ritual whether at home with family or during the day with collegues or friends.  I mean, I live in SEATTLE! Switching to tea is ok, but I really like the taste of coffee as well. Sometimes I do decaf, but if I can't have cream and sugar in it I don't like it. And Starbucks doesn't have coconut cream... yet.  I gave caffeine up about a year ago to help my adrenals and don't need caffeine any more. 

Good luck with the coffee detox!

Thanks Megan, yeah I had severe adrenal fatigue for awhile too and avoided coffee for a long time. Problem is I like the bitter taste.

I drink raw cocoa too, undecided if that messes me up also but I have just got this week some crio bru which I heard about from this site... Hoping the plunger version will be less irritating than the dissolved version?? Going carefully with this and tea.... Having more initially to help with the coffee detox then will cut back.

Are you over your fatigue now? I also stopped running above a heart rate of 160, that seemed to help too.

Fed up with not feeling like running in the cold dark mornings so taking my gear to work today....

adrenals much better thanks!

but daily stress also still a culprit.  I was an endurance athlete but have kind of given it up for the last year after reading about chronic cardio and primal lifestyles.  Not running I gained about 20 lbs (pre-paleo).  My eating didn't really change but I realized how much running was keeping the extra calories from packing on.  I have just started running short, slow runs again.  It's been so long even 2-3 miles feels difficult now! But I figure it's a good workout because I'm not used to anymore.  But no marathons for me any time soon.

Have not heard of crio bru, but if you like bitter drinks, most of the chinese herbal teas my acupuncturist makes are terribly bitter! One brew even looks black and I pretend it's coffee to choke it down. 

Thanks for the reminder... Managed some green tea this morning. Yay I did my lunchtime run, 6 km in about 43 minutes. I'm surprised it didn't take longer... This is a reasonable time for me, but it felt hard all the way. Before my op I was running 6 km slow 52 minutes while 'walking" with my husband 5 times a week, since I stopped I have stacked on the weight.

Baby steps though eh? Glad you are back into it Megan in a healthy way. Crio bru is ground cacao beans, so cocoa but grits for plunger or filter coffee style

Day 5 woke up a bit happier today, went to my gym for a interval style class, legs sore already from the squats but they were still sore from Thursdays run so no matter :)

Late M1 apple, cucumber, carrot, mushrooms in ghee, steak, half a sweet potato, crio bru

Feeling bubbly inside today... Yay

Hubby brought back lots of meat and fish from the market and I'm off to the Chinese grocers for coconut oil and veges soon !

M2 half a beef burger, pumpkin soup, something else??

Snack of dates and nuts

M3 carrot, beans, pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potato, T-bone steak, ghee

Day 6 hubby commented this morning that I m much happier this week! My weekend pants are still uncomfortably tight but I am starting to feel a bit thinner.... Long way to go.

M1 leftover steak and veg plus an egg and some cantaloupe

Pre WO chicken and avocado

25 minute run plus 20 minutes at the gym (bike, rope pull, Jacobs ladder and free weights)

Post WO chicken, date, walnut, two strawberries

Late M2 beef and veg coconut curry soup plus blueberries with coconut cream... Bought a small tin so I wouldn't overindulge

M3 chicken and veg plus too many fruits and nuts

Archived