Miss Sassy Pants on the Road to Health

Tomato soup recipe.

Here is what you need for Roasted Tomato Bisque:

3 lbs of organic roma tomatoes

1 cup coconut milk (I used Trader Joe's Light)

1 1/2 cup bone broth or chicken broth

1 medium onion

6-8 fresh garlic cloves

1/2 tsp pepper (or more if desired)

1 tsp salt

6-8 fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 400. Now, start by cutting your tomatoes in half, or quarters, if they are thick. Next, get out a cookies sheet, cover it with foil and spray with your coconut (or olive) oil. Then drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. The salt and pepper sprinkled on the veggies here does not count towards the amounts listed above. Those measurements are for when you are putting all of the ingredients together before blending.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was long and hard. Boss was on a rampage and the stress started to get to me at about 3pm. Normally this would mean a trip to the candy jar in the lobby but today I just took a break and chatted it up for a few minutes with my assistant. Score one for me.

I had ordered meat, eggs and veggies from a farm about 2 hours from where I live and got to go pick it all up today. That was pretty cool. Expensive, but cool. My bill was about $200 but I got a ton of food for that. 2doz eggs, 4 roasts, 2 packs of short ribs, 2 packages of fajita meat, 2 packages of pork chops, 2 packages of stew meat plus a huge box of mixed produce. I normally just don't spend that much all at one time but all of the meat is pastured or grass fed and it comes frozen and in packages that are well marked. So, I don't have to shop much for a bit. The produce box was a bit much for me to be honest. Waaaaay to much stuff but I'm hoping I can find a use for almost all of it. There were a couple of things I couldn't identify. These red ball things that look like a root vegetable with long leafy stems coming off the top of them. I think they might be beets but I don't know what to do with them. Lol. Other than that, I'm happy with what I got for the money plus I'm buying local and supporting a farmer and my own health. Done.

Meals today were funny. I didn't sleep well last night so I got up late and had to toss some meals together quickly.

B: eggs with sautéed spinach in ghee, Mexi meat and pico

L: cut up leftover steak, sautéed mushrooms with garlic and onion, roasted sweet potatoes and the last of the tomato soup. I actually couldn't finish it all.

D: got home late to find that I had set my crockpot to warm instead of low this morning so I just ate the last of the steak and called it done for tonight.

Now, time for some good zzzzz's

That's a pretty good price for all you got. I've spent much more than that on similar amount/quality of food.

Yes those are beets. I was scared the first time I got them but they are pretty darn tasty! I suggest chopping off and saving the greens (basically chard) to use in another dish. I peel mine with a veggie peeler, douse them in coconut oil and rosemary, and roast em up until they are soft. So lovely. Be warned your bathroom breaks might be scary after you eat them. I wasn't prepared but a quick google search put my mind at ease. The greens make nice wraps if you steam them until they are pliable.

There is a thread somewhere on help with CSA box finds...perhaps you should find it and make it active again.

I love roasted beets! They have all kinds of good stuff in them. To roast them I just put them (unpeeled) in a pan with a little water. Cover with foil and roast at 375 for about an hour. After they're done the skins just slip right off.

And beet greens are about my all-time favorite greens. I have a recipe with pine nuts and a few dried cherries that is just luscious. I'm curious to try making it with coconut oil (I've always used olive). Think it would suit the recipe.

And I hear you about the CSA veggies being too much! I was doing a CSA with a friend, and we both got overwhelmed by the amount of food we had coming in (and the amount that ultimately got wasted).

Enjoyed reading your log. You've got a great sense of humor!

Oh, and I have done a lot of restorative yoga. It's great.

Looooong day today. I just got home. I had a meeting with a client after work and then my boss unexpectedly invited me to come to her house for dinner. She said pick some recipes and she would buy the groceries. So I did and then we met at the store where she paid for all of the stuff I picked up and we headed back to her house. We cooked a big whole 30 meal for her hubby, son who just graduated from college and another coworker. Her son said, "THIS is paleo? Wow, I've been wanting to try it and this is all really good." We then discussed the whole paleo way of eating and everyone at the table was very interested in learning about it. At some point, I said "people, it's just food but it can change your whole life." There were lots of questions but no judgement and that was nice.

Meals today:

Eggs scrambled with spinach and mushrooms in ghee

Spinach salad with sautéed beef and balsamic vinegarette

Steak with strawberry spinach salad, sautéed mushrooms and roasted sweet potatoes

Good thing I like spinach and mushrooms. Lol

Had a good day today. Work was a nightmare but I'm not here to focus on that. So I've got a list of changes I've noticed in myself so I'm going to post them here to keep me from wanting to get on the scale:

My sense of smell is better

My boobs stick out further than my gut

My overall mood is better

My sleep is uninterrupted and sound

The amount of food I want to eat is dwindling naturally

My back boobs are no longer a d cup

The foods that I thought I couldn't live without, I can

I have taken the control back

I want to do more for myself than ever before

I no longer have to unbutton or unzip my pants to take them on and off

My skin is brighter...or so I've been told

Overall health is a priority for me instead of something I don't ever think about

A balanced life is something I'm not willing to sacrifice

I'm falling in love.....with ME

All done with food? Ah-maze-sing

Meals today:

B: eggs with broccoli

L: chicken breast with avocado and pico, apple slices

L(part 2): hard boiled egg, cucumber.... I didn't eat enough for lunch so I was still hungry 30 minutes later

D: pork chop with apples sautéed in ghee with cinnamon (like pork chops and apple sauce but better)

Was looking for inspiration and saw your posts. I laughed-snorted out loud when I read about the plank...been there!

You got this! You are on your way.

I'm on day 17 and it's easy one minute and a struggle the next. I was on a walk w a friend and saw ants on a Cheeto...I wanted to be an ant. Another day a nice looking fella walks by...I stare at the donut he was holding.

Go to the gym, have fun w it. I love Zumba, hip hop, etc...but I'm like Cameron Diaz singing in My Best Friends Wedding or Ben Stiller in Along Came Polly...it ain't pretty. I have fun, I get a great work out and people have been very welcoming.

Was looking for inspiration and saw your posts. I laughed-snorted out loud when I read about the plank...been there!

You got this! You are on your way.

I'm on day 17 and it's easy one minute and a struggle the next. I was on a walk w a friend and saw ants on a Cheeto...I wanted to be an ant. Another day a nice looking fella walks by...I stare at the donut he was holding.

Go to the gym, have fun w it. I love Zumba, hip hop, etc...but I'm like Cameron Diaz singing in My Best Friends Wedding or Ben Stiller in Along Came Polly...it ain't pretty. I have fun, I get a great work out and people have been very welcoming.

Heh, I love a good snort laugh!

I plan to start my working out this weekend. I had to break the news to my boss slowly so she would understand that my schedule will need a little adjusting so I can get some classes in. The jury is still out with her on that I think but my intention is to stick to my plans. She'll adjust.

Lol about the ants and the guy. Yeah, I soooooo get that. I have to say however, I'm not having a lot of struggle yet. I'm lucky really because I like a lot of veggies and healthy food in general. That said, if you put ice cream in front of me right now it might get ugly. I'm not anywhere near "over" everything when it comes to food but I feel like I'm finally healing.....from the inside out.

Thanks for the post. They really help me keep going and stay true to myself!

Tomorrow will be two weeks since I've started this journey. Wow, I'm simply amazed by how making some small sacrifices can impact your whole life. The funny thing is, I don't even see the lack of sugar a sacrifice any longer. I feel like I've gotten a handle on the cooking portion of this so it's time to tackle the working out. Maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe I'll learn to love it. Maybe it will help make me feel even better than I feel now. This is a huge hurdle for me so I'm going to have to follow my goal I set in the beginning to ensure long term success. Really it's simple, move my body each day instead of just sitting. For a minimum of 30 minutes. It could be a walk or a class or scrubbing the bathroom from top to bottom but I need to start moving.

Onward......moving forward!

Today I discovered that apples are not my best friends on this W30 adventure. I had some cravings yesterday for sweets and today it was bad in the afternoon. I really wanted some chocolate. I thought for a minute about what had changed. Not much except I picked up a bag of organic apple slices at TJs the other day. I've been eating them for two days now. Not the whole bag but here and there with my meals. I thought it would be a nice refreshing sweet treat. They are and they also seem to be a bit of a trigger for me. Not sure why but I'm cutting back on apples. Maybe it's the fact that they are so sweet and it caused me to crave more sweets. Dunno. I would imagine I can have one every now and then and be fine but they can't be a daily thing. It's not a fruit in general thing, it's apple specific because I've has berries and oranges and been fine. I came home tonight and had a very savory dinner of pot roast I had put in the crockpot this morning and that seems to have stopped the cravings.

Tomorrow I start my walking. I'm trying very hard to pump myself up for it. I'm not sure why the food seems like less of a challenge. It's a walk for crying out loud but it just feels like such a huge deal in my mind. It's incredibly frustrating to be honest. My mind and my body are at odds over this. My body is ready to move and my mind is stuck in first gear. Much like my first time driving a stick shift car, I feel like I may have some grinding of the transmission to do before I get the hang of it.

Meals today:

B: eggs with spinach and mushrooms and pico with an avocado

L: leftover pork chops and apples with cinnamon ghee

D: pot roast with sweet potato

The foods that I thought I couldn't live without, I can

That was an awesome list of benefits, but this one really rang for me. I've thought for ages that I just "couldn't" give up gluten and/or grains. And for right now, I'm not even missing them.

Hope the movement goes well! Sometimes you do just have to push your mind through this sort of thing, and let you body do what it knows it needs.

It's not quite 8am yet and I woke up feeling..... Ehhh..... It's my two week mark and I feel a little like I did on day 3. After reading my daily email and some other posts out here in the forum, I'm realizing this is (I think) normal at the half way point. Anyone else get a slump at the half way point? I need to change a few things up next week and try some new recipes. I'm getting bored, oddly enough, and I can't let that happen. I've got a mix of "I've come so far" and "I've got a long way to go.....can I really do this?" going on emotionally. I've got to find a way to pump myself back up.

So, like I said, it's early and I woke up thinking about.....not cake, cookies, ice cream, candy, bread, chips, milk....nope...WINE! So, a little whine about wine. I love wine.. Red in particular. I don't drink but maybe once a week and even that is probably more than I actually drink but let's just say once a week for ease here. When I do drink, it's not that much one maybe two glasses. Not to say that I haven't ever gone overboard, I have. Wine is such a part of my social life. It's a conversation starter, "do you like Pinot or a a Cab? I got this at that wine shop and the lady said its a great pairing with steaks on the grill" I like to open the bottle. It like a mini show. The pouring and the cheers of the first glass....Delightful. I like the learning process of the different flavors you get from wine. Now, lets be clear, I'm not wine snob. I'm not talking about wine tasting or conversations about the "legs" or "hints of oak with a strong finish". When people talk like that I just smile and nod because the reality is, I don't really know jack about wine (neither do my friends) we just know we like it. There is now swirling the glass or swishing it around in mouths and spitting it out. I look at the wine spitting like using dollar bills as toliet paper. Kind of silly. Three buck Chuck is the norm but a $15 bottle is an event to be celebrated. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm missing my wine at 8am at the half way point. Maybe because I know I want to continue with this new way of eating. Maybe because I've had several social event s where I couldn't have any wine. Not sure but man oh man, I miss my lovely glass of wine at a dinner or event. Now I'm wondering how I can keep my wine consumption healthy. I hear there are organic wines out there. Maybe a new discovery is around the corner? Dunno, but I'm looking forward to trying a glass.

Okay, time to start the day. I have a dinner tonight at a friend's house. I'm a little worried because I explained what I'm doing and there were zero questions about what I can or cannot have. I don't think she quite understands that no sugar means zero. Not "oh it's just a little bit" or "she won't know it's in here". I will know and if I'm not sure, I'm not eating it. I plan to bring something to share as well. Time to look up some recipes......okay, off to do my 30 minutes of movement.....more later.....

Good day today. Just home from having dinner with friends. It was nice but it was a little awkward with the food situation. This is a work friend and his wife. I don't know them really well so when they invited me for dinner I probably should have declined for now but I didn't want to do that. So I explained to him about what I'm doing with the W30 and he seemed to understand. She didn't quite get it. I couldn't eat most of what she made but she was very nice and made me some broccoli to go with my grilled shrimp. The only awkwardness was when we had to play the "can you eat_______(fill in the blank)." No, three bean salad does in fact contain beans so, no thank you. I'm sure it is delicious and I appreciate it, but no thank you. This continued for about half the meal but it did eventually end. Thankfully.

I went to Macy's and got myself two gifts for my two weeks of eating clean. A food processor and a stainless steel spice rack. The spice rack wasn't on my wish list but I fell in love with it when I was looking around.

Tomorrow is my cook up. I'm making more tomato soup and I need to look for some new recipes. Time to get all of the new spices working! Yay!

Food today:

B: hard boiled eggs with pico and an avocado

L: chicken thighs with fresh pineapple pico and spinach (I forgot my fat here) need to watch that

D: grilled shrimp with dipping sauce made with olive oil, lemon and fresh herbs and broccoli

Movement: walking

Up early. I didn't get to sleep until almost 1:00am but for some reason I woke up at my normal time. I'm just going with it.

Today is my cook up day. I've got a freezer FULL of meat and a fridge full of yummy produce so I plan to have some fun today in the kitchen. I'm making the tomato bisque again and I'm going to give my new food processor a workout by taking my first crack at making mayo and some salad dressings. I need to get some new flavors going here. I love spinach but I need to mix things up a bit. I'm on the food rut train to cheats-ville and I know it, so I'm correcting it now before I get stuck.

I'm also making this shrimp recipe:

Gambas Al Ajillo {Garlic Shrimp}

Print

Prep time

5 mins

Cook time

10 mins

Total time

15 mins

Classic tapas dish, tweaked just a tiny bit to make it Paleo. These are extremely flavorful, quick and versatile!

Author: http://meatified.com

Recipe type: Appetizer, Main, Seafood

Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tbl duck fat or coconut oil

6 cloves garlic, minced

½ tsp smoked paprika

Juice of one lemon

Salt, pepper & red pepper flakes to taste

Drizzle of olive oil

Chopped cilantro to garnish

Instructions

Lay the shrimp out on some paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.

Over a low-medium heat warm the duck fat or coconut oil and minced garlic for a minute, until it just begins to brown at the edges.

Add the lemon juice, paprika and any additional seasonings: be careful as the oil will spit when you add the lemon juice.

Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for a minute or two (depending on the size of the shrimp) on each side, until fully cooked.

Remove the pan from the heat. Drizzle with additional olive oil to taste and garnish with the chopped cilantro.

Serve as an appetizer, add to salads or pour over mashed root vegetables – make sure to use the flavored oil!

And this steak rub to have on hand:

Santa Maria Style Steak Rub

Author: adapted from Simply Recipes

Makes enough to rub on 4-5 lbs of meat. Prep it in a container and it'll keep for weeks!

Ingredients

2 Tbsp salt

1 Tbsp finely ground black pepper

1 Tbsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne (or more if you like more heat)

1 Tbsp dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

½ teaspoon dried sage

Instructions

Mix everything together

Sprinkle liberally on steaks

Massage into meat (ah! meat hands!)

Let sit for 5-10 minutes

Spray steaks with a little olive oil or grease your grill

Grill those suckers!

Enjoy life with out preservatives, weird stuff, or the judging looks of others considering how much money you spend supporting the Guy Fieri empire.

Sent from my iPad

This is the rub we made at my boss's house and it was OMG good!

I'm thinking of taking a look at some egg cup type breakfasty type of things too. I need a grab and go option for the mornings. I just saw a frittata photo in the forum that looked delicious so maybe some version of that.

It's pouring down rain this morning so walking outside wont be an option. I'll need to find something else to do for my 30 minutes of movement today. Maybe the walk in closet gets done today. We shall see.

Your cook-up sounds like fun! I've not been a big fan of shrimp, but have found myself sort of craving them this week. Maybe I'll put them in this week's meal plan. There are already several things fighting to get on the meal plan. Well Fed's Bora Bora Fireballs are high on the list. They sound so good! How could you go wrong with pork, pineapple and coconut?

I'm also thinking about making a steak. Haven't done that in awhile (I tend to focus on the less expensive cuts). But a steak sounds pretty yummy. Thanks for the rub recipe.

Hope you have a great day!

I'm giggling about the three-bean salad containing beans! Imagine that!

Lol Shelda, I did too on the inside when she kept telling me to eat it. My mind was literally racing with "how exactly do I clarify NO BEANS? I'm feeling like that's pretty clear". Of course I just smiled and continued to say "no thank you". It was a great night and I enjoyed knowing that I can have dinner out without (much) issue. She was a very gracious hostess and was very sweet about it. I think she was just worried I wouldn't have enough to eat. The secret is, I ate about 30 minutes before I went so I would be okay if there was nothing I could have. *wink*

Your cook-up sounds like fun! I've not been a big fan of shrimp, but have found myself sort of craving them this week. Maybe I'll put them in this week's meal plan. There are already several things fighting to get on the meal plan. Well Fed's Bora Bora Fireballs are high on the list. They sound so good! How could you go wrong with pork, pineapple and coconut?

I'm also thinking about making a steak. Haven't done that in awhile (I tend to focus on the less expensive cuts). But a steak sounds pretty yummy. Thanks for the rub recipe.

Hope you have a great day!

I love the name of that recipe. Bora Bora Fireballs sounds like a total food adventure! I'll have to look that one up!

I normally don't do shrimp (not budget friendly enough for me) but I like it and I need to change things up a bit this week. Oh and the steak rub is also good on chicken and I would imagine it would be good on pork roast as well.

Sheesh, not a good day for me. Not an "off the rails" kind of bad, just not on plan. I just didn't eat according to guidelines and now I'm bummed about it. Tomorrow brings a new day and another chance.

I made the shrimp and it was oh so yummy. I'm glad I tried it. Unfortunately, it was the only thing I ate for dinner. I made the tomato soup and it was good. Other than that, not much cooking took place today. Maybe it was the rain or the fact that I didn't sleep enough. I was just puttering around and not getting much done (besides the power nap I took).

I made some mayo and have plans to turn it into paleo ranch dressing. I found this recipe that seems like its worth a shot. I need to eat some salads because its getting very hot here and I don't want to eat hot food normally in the summer here. Ahhhh Texas summer.

Meals:

B: eggs, pico and an avocado, leftover stew meat sautéed in olive oil

L: chicken breasts and tomato soup

D: shrimp

Movement: unless bed to kitchen to couch counts.......none

Okay, the ranch is pretty good. Easy to make. Recipe follows.

Paleo Ranch Salad Dressing

¼ cup Paleo Mayo

¼ cup Coconut Milk

1 tsp Dill

½ tsp Garlic Powder

¼ tsp Onion Powder

¼ tsp Chives

1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Optional * ½ tsp Parsley & ½ tsp Thyme (I say, try it without and if you think it needs a little more zing, then add these 2 optional spices ;)

Sea Salt and Pepper (to Taste)

Mix all until incorporated. I like to use a blender to make sure everything is nice and smooth, but that's just me…

**Note: I use fresh dill, but you can use dried if you don't have fresh. Just cut it down to ½ tsp, so it doesn't overpower the rest of the recipe.

Time to reset my attitude! I realized this morning when I woke up feeling .....ehhh....that the reason I haven't had the extra pep in my step is simply from two days of not following the plan.....mostly. Why? why in the middle have I decided that i dont need the extra fat or the veggies with a meal? Fear. Plain ole' fear. Fear of failure? No, fear of success. I've finally found something that is working for me and is pushing me to put myself first. Giving me a feeling of self worth. I'm changing and that's scary. I don't know who I'm becoming, I'm more comfortable with who I've been. Even if it's unhealthy me. It's what I've gotten used to. So I'm ringing the bulls**t bell on myself and pressing forward.

Time to get uncomfortable and be okay with it. I'm totally worth the effort!

Okay, better today than yesterday. I think my meals were a little better anyway. I'm just home from work and put some chicken in the oven but I can't wait to eat any longer. I think I'm going to need to toss together something for speed. The chicken will be good for lunch tomorrow. I didn't eat enough at lunch so I'm ready to chew my own arm off.

B: eggs with spinach and pico

L: shrimp, tomato soup and a salad with ranch dressing

D: hard boiled eggs with pico and an avocado**

**annnnnnnd add some chicken hot out of the oven. Yep, I was in fact very hungry. Heh.

Archived