Pam's Honest Whole30; take 2

PamH

Day Three (for anyone who looks at my blog it must be confusing. Day Three? Take two? Take Three?)

Crio bru upon waking at 7am. Used the 2T coconut milk. Gosh, I love that all emulsified up. Simple pleasures.

"Breakfast" 9:45am

Just a small bit to eat before I go work out for an hour before heading to the job. I don't have any protein thawed and I didn't feel like eating eggs. So, to get a little bit of fat I did this:

1/3 acorn squash with 1T ghee and sea salt.

Went to the gym for an hour before heading off to work. Averted a non-compliant moment by resisting buying a lovely piece of BBQ chicken from the deli after telling myself it would be OK to just peel of the luscious skin! I have no ready to go protein at home and needed something to hold me over on my 6 hour shift. So, instead of cutting corners, I was able to find some simple sliced flank steak and an organic sweet potato. Normally I only eat grass fed beef, but this was better than chicken that had been cooked in sugary BBQ sauce or an obvious cheat like a chicken pasta (sugar or no sugar).

No picture since I did not cook it myself. ;)

Taking a pear to work to eat on my short break. I found that sugar level was not bad for me yesterday. It is one of those things that you can eat sparingly or drink sparingly (pear juice) when you are fighting yeast (at least that is what I remember from my autism mommy days).

Snack: 3PM

Ate the pear. It was too ripe for me but I ate it!

"Dinner": 8:30PM

1/3 acorn squash with 1T ghee

1/3c chopped roasted almonds

Too late to eat a lot.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DayFour

Woke up at 6:30 to some crio bru and 2T coconut milk. Ran off to church, so must wait for breakfast

Breakfast: 10am

post-24563-0-47439900-1370185986_thumb.j

1/2 large sweet potato with baby spinach, ~3oz italian sausage and mushrooms

Snack: 2PM

Lots of raw jicama

1/3 c chopped almonds

Dinner: 6PM

1 bratwurst, no bun

1 small burger patty, no bun

big pile of sauerkraut and tomato

Took one bite of a broccoli salad with raisins and realized it had a dressing with sugar. How deceptive; it looked like it had no dressing at all. Since I was at a table with other people, I had to swallow it. How sickenly sweet. I'm OK with it. Nothing exploded and nobody died.

Snack: 8PM

I had to try the butternut squash I baked right before I left. Ate maybe 1c squash with some sea salt. So sweet! I could eat an entire squash every day. Actually, for a while I did and turned a delightful tint of orange. haha (I did)

Pam - are you hungry? It seems like you don't eat much protein...for me, that "palm size" portion is at least 4 ounces, often 5 or 6, or 3 eggs...I know if I don't get enough protein, it really throws me off.

I'm not hungry at all. I am estimating the amount of sausage (plus the fact I ate several chunks of it while putting away leftovers) so the 3oz is probably closer to 4-5oz in the long run. The sweet potato was enormous, too.

I am eating at a BBQ tonight where I will be having only the meat so I know I will be getting a ton of protein later. All of the sides I am going to avoid except for the raw veggies we are bringing ourselves.

I do know I need more protein, but I am trying to spread it out over 3 meals. I'm not a big person and I'm trying to rebalance my plate a bit!

Day Five

Same old crio bru with coconut milk first thing in the morning.  I woke up with a less than pleasant surprise from my pelvic organ prolapse, and I hope I am not getting the beginning of a UTI.  Bad timing!  When I don't feel good, I eat (stress eater).  Rarely do I lose my appetite!  

Breakfast:  8:30am

2c buttercup squash with baby spinach, mushrooms and italian sasuage.   1t coconut oil/ghee and salt

post-24563-0-23906400-1370277319_thumb.j

Made a ground bison, vegetable stir fry to keep for the next few days.  I'm working a ton and need go-to food.  NO RAISINS... that was hard to omit.

Lunch:  1:30pm

2c buttercup squash with bison stir fry and rest of italian sausage  (6oz meat) and 1T ghee with salt

Snack at work:  5:30PM

1 under ripe pear (yum; much better than the overly sweet juicy ripe ones)

about 15 raw macadamia nuts

I'm just not hungry when I get home from work at 9PM and I don't have the time to eat a great dinner on break so I'm not sure what I am going to do.  Right now, I'm just going to eat huge mid day meals like today before my shift and then have a small healthy snack.  I did sneak a few bites of the bison stir fry when I got home but I didn't want to eat more.  I guess I could just eat a hard boiled egg and get ready for bed?  Nah  Not today.  

Day Six

HAH!  I finally felt like I could change my profile picture from Pete Puma banging his head repeatedly to *me*.  The sugar cravings are so under control and I have confidence in my grasp of Whole30.  I still find it difficult to navigate at times, but usually due to my own fault of not preparing for known social situations or work situations where eating compliant will be difficult.  I feel good.

Woke up early to my crio bru with 2T full fat coconut milk.  

Breakfast:  8:30am

2+ cups bison veggie stir fry with 2T full fat coconut milk

Lunch:  1:45PM

half dozen slices of raw jicama

1 large sweet potato, small chunk butternut squash, italian sausage/mushrooms with 1 bunch of broccolini sauteed in 1T ghee and sea salt.

post-24563-0-12519000-1370371668_thumb.j

Training tonight will keep me busy between 3-9PM.  I'm counting on this massive sweet potato and sausage to keep me full until I get home at 9 for a hard boiled egg before bed.

Dinner:  8:45pm

I was hungry when I got home!  So, I ate

1 chicken thigh with skin

4 stalks broccolini that seem to have soaked in the chicken fat for a bit.

4 raw macadamias

Not a fan of eating dinner this late, but I was too hungry to go to bed.  I am still struggling with eating this much animal protein, but I guess if I am not getting protein from dairy, grains or legumes it has to come from somewhere!  I am not quite sure how I am going to handle protein post Whole30.

Hi there!!  I am on my third attempt at the Whole30 also.  First time, quit at Day 12 because I wasn't eating enough (was too stuck in counting calories and over-exercising) and my hubby and trainer basically told me to quit.  Second attempt I started right before Memorial Day (whoa bad idea! and I caved)...but excited to say I am here on my Day 8 and making it.  Feeling stronger than either of the previous attempts.  

I am glad you are feeling good and best of luck keeping at it this time!!  Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Hi there!!  I am on my third attempt at the Whole30 also.  First time, quit at Day 12 because I wasn't eating enough (was too stuck in counting calories and over-exercising) and my hubby and trainer basically told me to quit.  Second attempt I started right before Memorial Day (whoa bad idea! and I caved)...but excited to say I am here on my Day 8 and making it.  Feeling stronger than either of the previous attempts.  

I am glad you are feeling good and best of luck keeping at it this time!!  Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

It really is funny how simple and impossible this can be at the same time!  I wish you completion on your third attempt, too!

Day Seven

This keeps getting easier and easier.  I realized yesterday that my habit of eating while cooking has basically disappeared.  I still think about popping the cheese or the chocolate chip into my mouth but there is no angst when I opt not to do so.  I still cook for the other 4 in my house who are not restricted eaters so this new found freedom is great.

Woke up today and had my crio bru with 2T full fat coconut milk.  I am not enjoying this full feeling from eating that chicken thigh at 9PM last night.  Typically, I am at about 12 hours fast when I wake up.  I just realized I have to leave in an hour already.  This forum sucks me in!  Treating myself to a massage today.  I have mild scoliosis (boo) and my new job is aggravating it.  The chiropractor will be seeing more of me now which I suppose he enjoys.   :rolleyes:

Brunch:  11am

Yes, I waited until 11am to eat.

Huge bowl baby spinach with Moroccan spiced carrots, buffalo stir fry, 3T chopped almonds and 1T coconut oil/ghee

Day Seven

This keeps getting easier and easier.  I realized yesterday that my habit of eating while cooking has basically disappeared.  I still think about popping the cheese or the chocolate chip into my mouth but there is no angst when I opt not to do so.  I still cook for the other 4 in my house who are not restricted eaters so this new found freedom is great.

Woke up today and had my crio bru with 2T full fat coconut milk.  I am not enjoying this full feeling from eating that chicken thigh at 9PM last night.  Typically, I am at about 12 hours fast when I wake up.  I just realized I have to leave in an hour already.  This forum sucks me in!  Treating myself to a massage today.  I have mild scoliosis (boo) and my new job is aggravating it.  The chiropractor will be seeing more of me now which I suppose he enjoys.   :rolleyes:

Yes, I waited until 11am to eat.

Huge bowl baby spinach with Moroccan spiced carrots, buffalo stir fry, 3T chopped almonds and 1T coconut oil/ghee

Early dinner:  2:30PM  

I have another night of training from 4-8 so another early dinner with something after I get home late.

Sauteed up 1 onion, 1 yellow pepper, left over Moroccan carrots in 1T coconut oil/ghee and salt.  Added raw jicama.  Yum. Missing herbs; but I only had dried.

Snack:  7PM

1/2 c raw macadamia, hazelnuts and walnuts

Is there a way to delete our posts?  I see some are duplicated.

Day Eight

Woke up to my Crio Bru!  I think I am a frequent customer:  they sent me an "I <3 Crio" button with my last order.  hahaha

Breakfast:  9am

Big bowl of raw greens topped with buffalo/cabbage stir fry, 1T coconut oil/ghee, 1 egg white and 2T chopped toasted almonds.

post-24563-0-38456900-1370529079_thumb.j

Early Lunch:  11:30am

another bowl of buffalo/cabbage stir fry with 1/4 c sweet corn/herbs/evoo (maybe 5oz buffalo)

1/4 c dried coconut flakes

My lunch seems to be extending into the noon hour.  I have to get out of the house and stop the snacking.  It might be too tempting to go for something non-W30.  I'm tired today and that is a great big bad trigger for overeating.  Off to the gym!

Dinner:  6PM

Had a vegetable meal since I think I ate about a pound of meat between breakfast and lunch.

1 large sweet potato with sauteed broccolini, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt and 1T ghee.

1/4 c sweet corn/avocado/evoo relish

1 carrot

I am probably breaking rules, but I picked the feta and black beans out of the relish.  I had to look twice at the co-op label to make sure it had no sugar because the corn was soooo sweet.  Makes me look forward to the dead of summer when organic sweet corn is cheap.

"Dessert"  7:30pm

small handful raw walnuts and almonds.  I picked them out from a California mix that had figs, prunes and raisins, so the nuts have a tinge of sweetness to them.  mmmmm

Day Nine

Same old crio bru at 6am with 2T full fat coconut milk

I just can't get used to eating within an hour of waking.  I'm OK with that for now.  We'll see what happens in the summer when I don't have to get up at 5:45am.

Finished the buffalo/cabbage stir fry (3oz meat) with added 1/2 avocado, salt and 1/4c toasted almonds

Lunch:  2PM

Resisted the chocolate chips and batter tasting from the coffee cake I made the kids to celebrate the end of the school year.  It wasn't even difficult. I still love dark chocolate, but the difference is now I don't feel the urge to inhale it multiple times a day.  I know i am not ready to add it back yet...

1 med sweet potato on a bed of greens with 1T ghee and salt.

carrots

1-2oz lamb from Mark's Daily Apple Gyro Taco Salad

Stupid ass Imagine brand chicken broth has evaporated cane sugar!  I used 1/4 c in the ground lamb recipe so I stopped eating it.  I don't count that as a break in W30 for me but that sucks.  The carton was already open from another recipe (which wasn't W30 so I never ate it) and I didn't bother to label read.  It is chicken broth, no???  Grrrr

Not too sure what i am going to do about tonight.  I work 4-9:30 with a 20 minute break.  This would be a good time for a yogurt with nuts or cold pizza!  I guess I'll bring a barely ripe pear and some nuts and see what happens.  No real time to make anything while I am at work.  Lots of food to eat at the co-op but most of the deli/hot food is non-compliant to some degree except for the sauteed vegetables.  A little bit of dairy, a little bit of gluten, legume salads and such.  Ah, well.

Unfortunately most store bought broths have sugar in them. Have you tried making your own yet? It's so very easy. I buy a whole chicken about once a month and cook it in my slow cooker. When I pick all the meat off I put all the bones back in the slow cooker and cover it with water and add some ACV and cook on low for 24 hours. If you want a lot of broth pull out and strain as much as you can than refill with water and wait another 24 hours. You can do this for a whole week. Broth freezes well too.

Hope you can find a good option for dinner. What about a can of tuna and a bag of salad with lemon juice and avocado?

Unfortunately most store bought broths have sugar in them. Have you tried making your own yet? It's so very easy. I buy a whole chicken about once a month and cook it in my slow cooker. When I pick all the meat off I put all the bones back in the slow cooker and cover it with water and add some ACV and cook on low for 24 hours. If you want a lot of broth pull out and strain as much as you can than refill with water and wait another 24 hours. You can do this for a whole week. Broth freezes well too.

Hope you can find a good option for dinner. What about a can of tuna and a bag of salad with lemon juice and avocado?

I have made my own broth before with my pressure cooker and a whole chicken or with a carcass.  Not the 24 hour broth but good enough.  I should do that more often.  

I ate raw cashews and a pear.  Not ideal.  I will probably just buy from the hot bar since they always seem to have a chicken that is cooked only with olive oil and spices.  There is SO MUCH to choose from at the co-op, but many options aren't Whole30 that can be made/eaten within 15 minutes.  :(  Best thing is that I'm not really that tempted to blow W30 even though I'm surrounded by food.

Day Nine

Same old crio bru at 6am with 2T full fat coconut milk

I just can't get used to eating within an hour of waking.  I'm OK with that for now.  We'll see what happens in the summer when I don't have to get up at 5:45am.

Finished the buffalo/cabbage stir fry (3oz meat) with added 1/2 avocado, salt and 1/4c toasted almonds

Lunch:  2PM

Resisted the chocolate chips and batter tasting from the coffee cake I made the kids to celebrate the end of the school year.  It wasn't even difficult. I still love dark chocolate, but the difference is now I don't feel the urge to inhale it multiple times a day.  I know i am not ready to add it back yet...

1 med sweet potato on a bed of greens with 1T ghee and salt.

carrots

1-2oz lamb from Mark's Daily Apple Gyro Taco Salad

Stupid ass Imagine brand chicken broth has evaporated cane sugar!  I used 1/4 c in the ground lamb recipe so I stopped eating it.  I don't count that as a break in W30 for me but that sucks.  The carton was already open from another recipe (which wasn't W30 so I never ate it) and I didn't bother to label read.  It is chicken broth, no???  Grrrr

Not too sure what i am going to do about tonight.  I work 4-9:30 with a 20 minute break.  This would be a good time for a yogurt with nuts or cold pizza!  I guess I'll bring a barely ripe pear and some nuts and see what happens.  No real time to make anything while I am at work.  Lots of food to eat at the co-op but most of the deli/hot food is non-compliant to some degree except for the sauteed vegetables.  A little bit of dairy, a little bit of gluten, legume salads and such.  Ah, well.

Dinner/snack:  7pm and 9pm

Ate an under ripe pear at 7PM with a few raw cashews and then finished the 1/3 c cashews on the way home in the car.  I'm not hungry now that I am home.

Day Ten

Why should I even bother typing my crio bru and 2T coconut milk any more?  Restating the obvious

Waited until close to 11am for food because I was out without access.  I needed to shop for food...

Big sweet potato with 1T ghee, salt, cinnamon topped with 1 bunch of broccolini sauteed in coconut oil topped with 1/4 c diced almonds

several slices of raw jicama

Not hungry for meat or protein.  This was very filling.  My body does well with less protein than what is recommended in both Paleo and W30.  I'm going with what feels good.  I'll eat some chicken on my break this afternoon.  Working until 9PM again.

Tomorrow is my daughter's 15th birthday.  Being an eating disorder kid in the 80s, I really don't enjoy showing my sugar free "diet" in front of her.  I won't eat the cake, but I honestly feel a little guilty.  I do try to explain my reasoning behind it, and the kids all know I pay attention to my food, but I don't want to seem restrictive and controlling... teens never pick up what you want them to!   ;)

Snack:  2PM

1/2 orange bell pepper

2, 1" chi energy chunk (technically W30 compliant but not my best option)

2 fork fulls of kimchki

Dinner:  6PM

beef ragout with green olives

under ripe pear (crunchy!)

1/2 bottle plain kombucha (no stevia)

Snack:  9pm

found some left over raw cashews in my purse on the way home from work so I ate 'em.  1/4 c at most

Pam which Criu Bru do you drink? I see 3 versions on Amazon. Or I could order a sample pack. Guess I could look at my local stores too and stop being such an Amazon addict.

I buy directly from Crio Bru.

http://www.criobru.com/

My favorites so far are the Maricaibo, Cavalla and Vega Real.  I haven't tried one I don't like, and to me the differences are quite subtle except for the Maricaibo seems richer/chocolaty-er than the others when I add coconut milk.   They sell a few variety pack options.

I use it in a french press exclusively, so I'm not sure how it tastes in a drip maker.

I have not seen it at any of my local co-ops or natural food stores.

The cavala sounds good. I like the idea of notes of coconut and cinnamon. The price is the same on Amazon. I use a french press already so I am set. :) One more question..do you ever drink it iced?

The cavala sounds good. I like the idea of notes of coconut and cinnamon. The price is the same on Amazon. I use a french press already so I am set. :) One more question..do you ever drink it iced?

I have not tried it iced, but I have yet to drink Crio Bru in the summer months!  This was a new find for me this fall.

Day 11

Spent my Sunday morning with my crio bru and coconut milk

Breakfast:  10am

bowl of Mark's Daily Apple Gyro Taco salad meat on a bed of mixed kale/greens with 2T chopped almond

Snack:  11:45am

big bowl of raw jicama sticks

1/2 c raw nuts

Lunch:  2pm

2 pieces spicy chicken breast

2T almond butter

I ate some sugar.  I can feel it with my hot flash just experienced!  What was in that spicy chicken I ate?  It didn't taste sugar-sweet but my guess is there was sugar in the spicy rub/coating.  I was told no breading but I guess I didn't consider sugar.  Rats.  Not starting over to Day One.  It wasn't chocolate, cookies, cakes, sauces, ice cream, honey, etc.

Too many nuts today.  Time to stop the almonds on the sweet potato or greens.  

Dinner:  6pm

12 pc sashimi with coconut aminos

1 lg sweet potato with 2t ghee

Did not eat the 15 yr old's birthday cake, and feel odd about that.  I just don't want my daughter to walk away from this thinking I'm dieting, but no matter how you talk to some kids (girls) they come away with the idea that it is about calories and weight.  I talk until I am blue in the face about feeling good and being healthy but to most the idea of removing all sugar is just bizarre.  So, I stay sugar free and won't have hot flashes all night; I hope.

Day Twelve

No hot flashes at night, so that sugar in the spicy chicken must have been minimal.  I was told there was a bit of white sugar added to the rub.  Sigh.  Why?  It wasn't dessert, so I'm OK with the mix up.

Morning Crio bru with 2T full fat coconut milk.  Yay.  No sun today, so even the psychological boost (caffeine free) is needed.

Breakfast:  10am

2 egg omelet with a huge handful of baby spinach and 2t ghee.  I realized I forgot to snap a photo until it was too late, but I took one anyway to continue my photo journey.  It was a beautiful and tasty breakfast!  I am hoping it holds me until 5:30 for the most part.  I will bring a snack to work but that is it.  I don't like to eat a meal in a few minutes on my break.

post-24563-0-00395400-1370877659_thumb.j

Lunch:  3pm

1 chicken breast with skin  6oz?

1 c vegetables in evoo

water

Dinner:  7pm

1 split chicken breast with wing (skin)  8oz?

Snack:  10pm

2 slices dried mango (no sugar)

Day Thirteen

Crio bru with coconut milk.  WHO KNEW?   ;)

Breakfast/Lunch divided over a few hours when I had the chance:  8am-11am-3pm

1/2 c mixed raw nuts and raisins

1c mixed vegetables sauteed in evoo

1/2 bottle unsweetened kombucha

Dinner:  5pm

3 slices unsweetened dried mango

1 lg sweet potato with 1t ghee topped with lots of pan fried mushrooms/onions

I'm having a vegetarian day, I guess.   For me, that works better for my body than eating meat, meat, meat every day and lots of it.  I know even cavemen didn't eat meat every day...

I can't believe I have gone this long without eating hardly any sugar.  Only 3 days this entire adventure.  I think I started on April 28th or something like that!  Still not getting 30 consecutive days, but even if I don't get there I am so excited to know how to rid myself of hot flashes!  No sugar!

Snack:  9pm

big handful of raisins

No hot flash from raisins!

I'm so glad this has gotten easier for you. I too have days when meat doesnt sound appealing. I just eat more veggies. Isn't it great to be able to see how you respond to even traces of sugar? No hot flashes must be great for you.

Day Fourteen

Up again with Kevin the foster dog at the crack of dawn.  He came from a hoarding situation and has little idea what it is like to be part of a normal family.  He is getting better by the day, but I am tired!  God Bless Crio bru with coconut milk.   :D

Breakfast:  10:30am

I whacked my head on the shower door this morning when I wasn't paying attention.  Totally lost my appetite for a bit, and went to the gym to shake it off.  Now it is 10:30 am and I am just eating.

post-24563-0-99216800-1371051463_thumb.j

Great brunch of a chicken thigh on a bed of kale with 1/2 avocado and some raisins.  Light on the raisins, but I was happy to see they did not elicit a hot flash last night despite eating over 1/4 cup at one sitting.  Trying to avoid nuts today to check out the effect on bloating.  Maybe I'm just getting old, plus the fact I cannot do a lot of ab work since an injury in November, but my belly is not flat!  It was flat when I was Paleo.

Ate a TON of food... but no sugar!  Probably had my weekly quota for fat but no sugar!  I am so damn full but I ate no sugar!  Did I mention I failed to eat sugar?   :wub:

Archived