AIP safe "BBQ sauce"

Moluv

Berries + Berries + sQuash= BBQ SAUCE!

I did not measure anything and am only sharing this as a jumping off point for your own nightshade/seed free BBQ sauce possibilities. Here is what I did:

Sautéed 1/2 a red onion in coconut oil

Added a handful or so each of frozen raspberries and blackberries, cooked till berries burst

Added 1/2 can puréed butternut squash, many glugs of apple cider vinegar, many glugs of coconut aminos, liberal garlic and onion powder and Celtic sea salt.

A puréed date could add more sweetness if desired.

I achieved the texture and vinegary oniony flavor I was after, the color is a little more burgundy, but overall I am pleased! Delicious on my chopped brisket.

post-14185-13690677868996_thumb.jpg

Found this on Paleo Mom, is this the working hypothesis here?

"Seeds in fruit are meant to be eaten (and then planted in very fertile soil on the other end of the digestive tracts) compared to seeds that are designed to be spread by wind, etc. I consider foods with edible seeds (pomegranate, berries, zucchini, cucumber, etc.) to be a gray area. Some people tolerate them and some don't (similar to berry spices)."

Found this on Paleo Mom, is this the working hypothesis here?

"Seeds in fruit are meant to be eaten (and then planted in very fertile soil on the other end of the digestive tracts) compared to seeds that are designed to be spread by wind, etc. I consider foods with edible seeds (pomegranate, berries, zucchini, cucumber, etc.) to be a gray area. Some people tolerate them and some don't (similar to berry spices)."

Fascinating! Botany! Biology! I wish I hadn't strained the sauce then it had all the yummy onions :(

Archived