½ red onion – diced

4oz mushrooms – diced

1 large handful organic baby spinach – chopped finely

Salt – to taste

Pepper – to taste

Paprika – to taste

Red Pepper flakes – to taste

Garlic powder – to taste

1 cupcake pan – holds 12 (or 2 that hold six, need 12 places)

Coconut oil – enough to lightly grease a cupcake pan

Lightly grease cupcake pan(s) with coconut oil. Boil and peel eggs, set aside to cool. Take all other ingredients and mix by hand in a large bowl until well incorporated. Take a palm full of the mixture and flatten out thinly like a hamburger patty in your hand. Place a hardboiled egg in the center and start to fold the meat mixture around the egg. You may need more or less to cover the completely. Place egg in a cupcake pan. Repeat until all eggs all covered and put in the pan(s). I found 1.5lbs of meat to be almost not enough for 12 eggs as I like them fully covered and with plenty of meat on them. Next time I will probably use 2lbs for 12 eggs. It's not a science nor is there a set amount of meat to egg for this version. They came out great and are easy to reheat, eat cold or grab on the go.

How do you cook them?

When I made mine I just covered the eggs with simple home made pork sausage (pork, spices) and baked them on a cookie sheet @ 375 until the meat was browned on the outside. Served with mustard.

The only thing I would do differently would be to stand the eggs 'up' so when you cut them in half the egg is even on both sides :) Or possibly pan fry them in coconut oil similar to the following recipe.

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2UFi4JsSf

The post on Well Fed does note that Whole9 doesn't support the crushed pork rind coating version, so skip that one if you're doing Whole30 :)

In 1809 they used to serve them with gravy, if you want to try another version. I've also seen someone do an asian-inspired one with prawn meat for the meat coating.

If you must have a crust on the outside, I am sure almond flour would work! I love scotch eggs! I do a softer boiled egg for them, because I can't handle green yolks! I boil them for 6 minutes chill really really well and peel and continue. They are really yummy with mustard and they make great camping fare too.

Archived