What are your favorite lunch/dinner ideas?

Erna23

Today is my first day on the Whole 30 challenge and I am super excited.

I had my breakfast which included: 1 egg, mushrooms with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and a slice of green pepper with water to drink.

I feel like I am off to a good start.

Does anyone want to share any delicious lunch or dinner ideas that even my boyfriend (who is not doing the challenge) will enjoy?

Also, how often should you be eating fruit?

Any advice and input is appreciated! :)

My husband and I are doing Whole30 together. I am on Day 15 and breakfast has pretty much been the same. My 2 options are : scrambled eggs with veggies (peppers,onions, mushrooms) and sweet potato pucks. Or, 2 eggs over medium, chicken sausage, and sauteed broccoli slaw. Sometimes we have leftovers for breakfast, but that is rare since we save those for lunch time.

Dinner is easy. Right now I have a pork roast in my crockpot with onion, celery, and peppers. My house smells amazing! I plan on serving that with roasted broccoli. Other ideas are meat stiryfry (chicken/shrimp/steak/sausage) + lots of veggies. its grilling season around here, so a favorite meal is grilled rib eye and grilled asparagus.

there are so many good websites that have endless, easy options.

Oh, and i try to limit my fruit servings to once a day - usually paired with breakfast.

Erna - only one egg? That's not enough! You should eat as many eggs as you can fit in your hand (while they're in the shell) or less with more protein (ground beef, sugar free sausage, etc.) so that together it's one to two palms full, depending on your activity level. I'm 5'11" and weighed 150 a month ago (last time I weighed, and that was fully dressed with my cowgirl boots on at my post-op for my shoulder) and I usually get at least 2 eggs with bacon or sausage (2 slices/links/patties). So please - eat more eggs. You can hold more than one in your hand. :)

As for veggies, the rest of your plate that isn't the protein above should be veggies. I've been known to eat two slices of roast with almost half a gallon's worth of salad (my 1.5 and 1.75 quart Pyrex bowls stuffed full). The Whole30 is not for you to feel hungry. I find that I eat a TON now but most of it is veggies (unless I've fallen off the wagon with sugar post-W30) and I haven't gained any weight even though exercise is non-existent until my arm is out of the sling and able to handle me doing more walking/biking (seriously, I sweat in ridiculous amounts just because of how it's fastened around me, ugh!).

Beyond that...tomorrow's lunch is leftover brisket (I eat closer to the 2 palms), 2 sliced carrots, 2 stalks celery, and homemade mayo-based balsamic dip (based on the dip in Well Fed, but tweaked to my tastes). I load up the veggies with dip...the fat is how I stay full at work when those around me are eating pancakes (seriously, a coworker had them for lunch today), chocolate bars (she had those two hours after the pancakes), and the like.

Leftovers for lunch are my friend since I eat at work.

Fat is not the enemy, and eating by the template 100% works. Hubby is definitely not W30 or paleo in the least, and only eats that way at home for dinner, but he's even lost visible size around his midsection just by limiting the bread at home (other than the occasional gluten free bread product). Follow the templates and you will do much better!

Thank you so much! That was a lot of information.

What about canned tuna?

Which is the best to buy, if it's even acceptable to eat canned tuna?

(I really wish my book would arrive already)

The easiest way I've found to have a quick template friendly breakfast is to keep precooked ground meats in the fridge and pre sautéed or roasted/diced veggies. Heat a pan with some coconut oil, toss in the meat and veggies, warm it up, scramble eggs (I eat 2 or 3 per breakfast) and add to the pan, cook through, add spice and enjoy.

Lunch is usually dinner's left overs or a salad topped with canned tuna, I buy mine at Costco but I can't think of the brand. It's a bpa free one though and does not have soy, definitely read the label carefully. I mix the tuna, or salmon, with some homemade mayo, add 1/4 avocado and maybe a little extra veggies or fruit if I'm feeling like it.

Dinner is usually roasted or sautéed veggies with meat, chicken cooks quickly, nice steaks too. I also like ground meat with shredded veggies, like carrots, sweet potato and zucchini mixed in and seasoned. Weekends are usually more elaborate, weeknights I need to be in and out and sitting down to the table within 30 minutes.

Hi Erna! I'm on Day 5 and I don't have my book yet either, but there is SO MUCH INFO on this site, like meal portions, what fish to eat, what produce is best to buy organic and in what season! Also, what additives, etc, need to be avoided... There's a page that has all the PDFs listed... if no one gets it for you before I do, I'll post it this evening!

Good luck and happy Day 1!!

Tuna - read your ingredients. No soy. I haven't found a single tuna that is packed in water/broth that doesn't contain soy but if it's packed in oil, you're usually okay. Usually being the keyword. You want an amount that is one to two palms there too (I usually make it the width of my palm too, but that's me). Mix with homemade mayo, chopped cukes (unless you have compliant pickles), and some spices, and you have tuna salad, which is an EASY way to get enough fat in your diet. Super easy. You're looking for a serving of fat to be the size of your thumb per meal. Mayo is the most delicious way, in my opinion!

Some of my favorite lunches are:

- Chocolate Chili from the Well Fed cookbook (also posted on the blog theclothesmakethegirl.com) over spaghetti squash or acorn squash and topped with half an avocado

- Salad - usually something akin to a Cobb Salad (romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, compliant bacon (I get mine from U.S. Wellness Meats), roasted chicken and half an avocado with a drizzle of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar)

- Leftover Kalua Pig and braised cabbage, both from nomnompaleo.com (when working from home because really needs an oven rather than microwave, in my opinion)

And dinners:

- Any of the above

- Taco lettuce wraps - butter lettuce leaves, ground beef seasoned with taco-style seasonings (or just sauteed up with a couple scoops of salsa), avocado, spaghetti squash seasoned with cumin, chopped up tomatoes, etc.

- Burgers (no bun, of course) and taro root fries (400 degree oven (heating up your baking pan with the oven helps), peeled taro root cut into sticks and rubbed down with Indian Foods' Ghee or Primal Fat (combo of ghee and coconut oil))

- Grilled lamb chops, steaks, etc. with whatever veggies I have on hand

Oh, and the best way I've found so far to get veggies in the morning is to make a batch of braised kale and carrots (I use nomnompaleo's pressure cooker recipe but just braise on the stove) and eat it with eggs.

I regularly cook up beef or lamb stews and serve them with a platefull of veg to my non-whole30 parents and no-one notices the difference. I always make sure there's some starchy veg in there somewhere like pumpkin, sweet potato or parsnip.

For meal 1, I often cut up some cauliflower. It microwaves in about 3 minutes or less while my eggs etc are cooking.

I often do an Original Joe for meal 1--ground meat, mushrooms and spinach cooked up and mixed with scrambled eggs, I also enjoy egg salad scooped up with celery sticks or bell pepper slices. I also have leftovers for meal 1 and 2, often with a large salad.

Breakfast is typically 3 eggs, spinach and strawberries with coconut milk and flakes. Lunch varies on the weekends but involves ground meat with onions, mushrooms, spinach, avocado and sweet potato. During the work week we grill a bunch of burgers (made with egg and ground almonds) and I bring a 1/2 avocado and cauliflower and carrot puree (made with coconut oil).

Dinner is always different...

Archived