Exhausted, no change in body comp, & day 46

Hello all, I hate to post yet another topic saying "help" but I just can't figure out what's the matter.

I have done 2 whole30's previously. The first one was had fabulous results (even tho I later realized I still had a few cheats sneaking in in some of my canned sauces)--felt great, broke the bad relationship w food, and slimmed down! The second wasn't as successful due to me eating too many Larabars.

I've been one my 3rd one for 46 days now and it's been rough. 2 weeks in and I was beyond exhausted so I increased the sweet potatoes. Things improved slightly but I'm incredibly tired again and still experiencing the afternoon slumps. And my stomach has not been happy most of the time since I started. I don't cheat and do my best to eat balanced meals. For the other side of the coin, I used to crossfit 3-4 times a week but am now doing light swimming 2-3 times a week due to an injury so I don't see any of this being caused by over training.

I like that I am treating my body well, but I want to feel good too. An added perk would be to re-slim down/revamp the body composition back to what I saw in the first whole30.

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any thoughts you may have!

Eat yummy! -KT

I tend to cook once a week and live off that for a week so here's a few examples.

B: pad thai (chicken, carrots, snap peas, spaghetti squash, almond butter based sauce) w grilled squash and arugula pesto

L: grilled pork chop w orange salsa, salad w mango Pico and handful of coconut chips

D: chili (filled w celery, onions, carrot greens) w roasted veggies (Japanese turnip, carrots, Brussel sprouts), handful of raspberries w sprinkle of coconut flakes

B: grilled chicken & pepper kabobs w roasted grapes and Brussel sprouts

L: hamburger w caramelized onions and kale and carrot salad w tahini sauce

D: 6oz salmon, salad, sprinkle of coconut flakes, handful of toasted pecans, fruit (raisins, strawberries, whatever I have on hand)

I can post more if needed....

Whit,

Thanks for the podcast post. I understand and appreciate what they discussed. Yes, the body chooses to fix what it needs to most, but it is making me exhausted for weeks at a time and my stomach almost constantly hurts. I am not seeing ANY benefits (and it seems almost detrimental), but am simply holding out hope knowing this is good for my body and I've felt/seen the results before (over the last 12+ mo). My stress has been at a great low and I consistently get 8+ hrs a nite. I am going to completely cut out the dried fruit and nuts for now to see how that does. PLEASE HELP tho!

It might help if you posted a typical day's food.

Eating dried fruit is not part of the plan, I don't think. So I wonder how much else is in there that you might be better off without?

Any "food with no brakes"?

Also make sure your plate is piled high and wide with mostly vegies. You might not be eating enough?

See above posts for typical food I eat. I eat until full and am satisfied w only 3 meals a day.

As is pretty common, fruit, nuts, and sweet potatoes can tend to have no brakes which is why I watch or limit my consumption of them...

Guest Andria

@recipe maniac paleo: dried fruit is perfectly compliant to a Whole30. It is recommended that it is included with meals and not just eaten as a snack, however. Yes, it can be a food without brakes for many people so they leave it out of their Whole30.

@astrokt: strength training and diet and are the only things that will change body composition. Lift heavy (heavy IS relative to your personal strength level) weights doing functional compound movements(ie, squats, deadlifting, pull ups/chin up etc) 3 times per week. Take a look at Starting Strength/ Stronglifts or Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint fitness summary on his website (he gives examples of compound exercises sets and reps (ie, 4sets of 6-8 reps per exercise). Progression is KEY...always make sure you are increasing reps or weight when you can. Keep the swimming or walking. When you can, add in 1, maybe 2, HIIT sessions a week( but leave out if you are injured or feeling tired). Your diet really looks spot on (and yummy!)

Not an expert, but here are my thoughts.

1- depending on the type of swimming, there is misconception out there- your body will create a layer of fat for insulation. Most of the women I used to swim with did so to lose weight, look good... but the body naturally works contrary to our idea of working out/looking good and they never got the results they were swimming for!

2-as a woman approaching age 45 (2 kids, low body fat, high skeletal muscle, entering pre-menopause with night sweats, somewhat hormone driven, see an endocronologist for new concerns...) i have simply noticed that even with each passing year, my body just is not the same- how weight sits on me, excercise, recovery from workouts, injury and recovery... not that there is decline or anything bad, just observe it changes/is simply different

And, in my 4th month of staying compliant simply because i enjoy the lifestyle change (was not a quick fix for me), I am the better, emotionally, health, energy, attitude...better equipped for day to day demands/stresses of life had I not been eating healthy in the recent months.

Archived