Food and emotional pain

The news from OKC -- like too much news from too many other places lately -- makes me want to wrap one arm around a barrel of ghee and the other arm around a barrel of sweet potatoes. W30 compliant as to items, but the same-old-same-old with regard to the habit of emotional eating....

I don't know where to put all this pain except in the bottom of a bowl. I know that doesn't work, and prayer is getting a little too much exercise of late, if you know what I mean. But still. Sigh.

Probably a better way to handle reactions to such tragedies is to 1) turn off the news (do any of us honestly need a steady stream of it?) and 2) do something about it, whether it is donating (money, items, or blood), actively going to the scene to volunteer in some way either now or during the rebuild, or finding some other way to help out (maybe set out a donation bucket at your work or come up with a way to raise funds/donate materials for victims). Eating the sadness of such tragedies away doesn't do you or the victims of it any good, so find something that does both of you some good instead! But, yeah, I'd start with turning off the constant news stream.

Great point. I only know of Ok City because my husband told me. I go on news hiatus when it starts bringing me too much anxiety.

Of course if you know people there it's hard to turn it off. My family was affected by Hurricane Sandy and it was really hard. That said, I did volunteer to help Sandy victims. We drove food and supplies to Coney Island; people came running to the car to get blankets, water and women's hygiene supplies, diapers and formula. It took me out of the small drama of my family and inspired me with the way so many different people came together to help.

I've found that when negative emotions start to overwhelm, a brisk walk helps to work it off. The exercise alleviates that jittery "I can't take any more of this, I need comfort" feeling, and it gives you time to think about something more constructive that you can do.

Thanks, all! I sometimes have a problem with turning off the news, because I feel like I have no right to avoid this pain just because I can, when so many others can't. Not that I go looking for trouble, most of the time, but still. Taking a walk is an excellent idea -- even a few laps around the back yard is better than sitting and stewing.

Turn off the news. Really. Ongoing coverage may be essential to those close by, but for those of us who are far away, it's packaged in exactly such a way as to make us buy more of what the TV commercials are advertising (usually junk food). Really and truly, turn off the news.

Thanks, all! I sometimes have a problem with turning off the news, because I feel like I have no right to avoid this pain just because I can, when so many others can't.

Oh dear! No need to punish yourself like that. I totally understand that feeling bc I have guilt issues too. But you need to take care of yourself. Like Casey said, it won't help those people if you eat crap--or, for that matter, torture yourself with news reports.

I can totally relate. I don't watch the news. But I live about 10 miles from Watertown and found myself glued to the live coverage of the manhunt for the Boston Marathon bomber. I ended up eating many spoonfuls of almond butter and it made me feel worse instead of better. And that made me feel angry at myself for giving into the emotional eating idea.

The Watertown suspense was awful, even from here (Florida). Especially so since I have a friend who teaches at UMass-Dartmouth. Sigh.

The good news (I guess) is that not only did I avoid the W30-in-name-only faceplant, I actually didn't even eat lunch, because I consulted my stomach and found that I really wasn't hungry. This NEVER happens, so I was pleased even though meal skipping is not a W30 thing.

Anyway, I hope everyone who needs it found some non-food comfort today!

Archived