First whole 30 down...and the changes ahead

emilyhas

I started whole 30 because I felt completely addicted to sugar. I snacked on candy to stay awake, needed coffee with lots of sugar to get going in the morning, and craved sugar every night. I felt like I had lost control of my sugar intake and hated it! I'm getting married this July and my goal for my honeymoon was to love how I felt about myself which is definitely NOT how I was feeling. I also read success stories about people with acne on whole 30 and was very interested.

When I finally decided to start I was excited about finding new ways to cook to help keep me satisfied without all the sugar. The biggest help to me during this whole thing was pintrest and people's pictures of food which made cooking look delicious and exciting! It helped get me motivated to cook! I loved all the new things I was trying - I started eating fish more (and even liking it!), I found new veggies I liked like turnips, kale, and pumpkin. I started feeling FULL without all the carbs I thought I needed to fill me up. Best of all I felt HAPPY after I ate, not bloated and guilty. I stopped eating without thinking and ate what I needed to keep me full. I definitely didn't stop wanting chocolate but I learned how to address my emotions better when I wanted chocolate to find out why I wanted it and to realize that most of the time chocolate wouldn't help anyway.

About a week before my whole 30 ended I got out my summer clothes and they were loose! It was so nice -and different- to be excited about going into shorts season! I'm not just excited about my shorts either, I love how I look and feel - I actually feel good about myself and can't wait to be on a beach this July! I didn't notice as much change as I would have liked to with my acne but it has definitely improved. For my life after whole 30 plan I'm not going back to grains, pasta, bread, or carbs of any kind. I didn't miss them and they made me feel awful. I'm also not going back to coffee because it was mostly sugar and I feel better in the mornings with green tea. Really good chocolate will come back in in small quantities, but I'm not quite ready for it yet. I'm still enjoying the feeling of knowing I'm completely sugar free! This was an incredible 30 days and it's just the beginning for me!

I'm getting married in September and your story sounds exactly like mine! I'm already thinking of doing a Whole100 just to keep myself from undoing all the hard work before the honeymoon! =)

Nine short days after this post where I felt inspired, free, and in control I now feel bloated, guilty, and disgusting. Figuring out which foods I want back after whole 30 was a train wreck which ended in me eating chocolate, cookies, chips, cake and so much more over this past nine days. It started slow and then continued like a semi plowing ahead with no end in sight. I don't understand how I could move so far back in just nine days. I'm starting whole 30 again Wednesday and am planning on continuing it until my honeymoon so I can have a longer time to set habits in place and not undo everything I worked so hard for. This week left me feeling hung over on sugar, bloated from dairy, awful about myself and generally unhappy. I'm not ok with going back to feeling like this about food. Wednesday it begins again and i'm so EXCITED! This time when I'm craving chocolate I'll remember how terrible it made me feel this week and what a wreck I was...

Archived