Hypoglycemia--a true medical problem or just normal?

Okay, so I'm on page 205 of ISWF and I'm not totally clear on hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed with it (now, they didn't call it reactive) in 1996 and was told to eat a diet low in carbohydrate with a concentration on protein and veggies. Sounds kinda familiar. I have never been able to go longer than 3 hours without eating and I usually have a very strong craving for sugar.

I started W30 on July 1 and am noticing that between Meal 2 and Meal 3, I get low blood sugar. Light headed, hot, irritable, etc. Should this go away? Is hypoglycemia even a real condidition or is it just a natural physiological reaction to an unhealthy diet?

I'm committed to eating protein and fat when/if my blood sugar dips. For those who might be wondering, I have to fight hard to get my blood sugar up to 80 and stay there, so when it dips, it's usually around 45-50. But because the healthiest way, as described by the Hartwigs, is to eat 3 meals a day without snacking, I'd really like to do that on my W30.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

It can take weeks or even months after beginning to eat healthy foods for your hormones to get back into proper balance, so it may take a while before your blood sugar levels become kinder to you. If you need to eat something to get your blood sugar up, eat. Three meals a day may be great for you next year, but this week you may need to eat more often. Your health will improve if you keep eating good foods. I ate 5 to 6 times per day the first year I ate the Whole30 way mostly because that is what it took for me to feel comfortable and also because I didn't know of any reason to eat less frequently. Even though I was eating frequently, I still lost about 2 pounds per month, slept better, and got a lot stronger in the gym. You're doing good. Give it time.

Is hypoglycemia even a real condidition or is it just a natural physiological reaction to an unhealthy diet?
I realize this may be pedantic, but a physiological reaction to an unhealthy diet IS a "real condition". Hypoglycemia is just as real as Diabetes is real. Many forms of both can be controlled and even cured by a change in diet. That doesn't make it less real.

Also I call BS on the "healthiest way is to eat 3 meals". Many studies - real, serious, docuumented studies - have shown that different people react differently to various eating schedules. Not everyone *should* limit themselves to 3 meals a day.

It can take weeks or even months after beginning to eat healthy foods for your hormones to get back into proper balance, so it may take a while before your blood sugar levels become kinder to you. If you need to eat something to get your blood sugar up, eat. Three meals a day may be great for you next year, but this week you may need to eat more often. Your health will improve if you keep eating good foods. I ate 5 to 6 times per day the first year I ate the Whole30 way mostly because that is what it took for me to feel comfortable and also because I didn't know of any reason to eat less frequently. Even though I was eating frequently, I still lost about 2 pounds per month, slept better, and got a lot stronger in the gym. You're doing good. Give it time.

I agree, Tom. It's not a quick fix. I'm still experiencing digestive issue after three years off gluten. I was told it would take 5 years for my body to heal, if I'm diligent with my diet.

I am having the same hypoglycemia problem between lunch and dinner. I am going to add in a small snack.

It's funny because before I started Whole30, I never ate breakfast. Now that I am experiencing low blood sugar in the afternoons, it has dawned on me that my routine "morning fog" hasn't been due to caffeine depravation, but low blood sugar. I've had low blood sugar issues on and off for many years, but they were at their worst when I was a vegetarian.

As far as how many meals folks should eat, I think it's an individual thing, but I agree with Whole30 about those of us with weight issues and leptin, and eating first thing in the a.m. I can already feel a difference in my morning energy levels.

Archived