So, I don't really like olives. If I want to try them, and work on moving them from my "those are the foods I'm afraid of" list to my "these are the foods I now like/love because of Whole30" list, how should I go about it? Which should I start with? green? black? plain? in a tuna salad? in something else?

I'm inclined to start with green because I have had black ones in mexican dishes and didn't really like them.

Which are better for a fat source?

If you can find Castelvetranos they are amazing. They are green, meaty and buttery. Yum. My very picky 5yo will eat a tub of them. I think in general black are saltier? But maybe I'm thinking of a certain type. Supposedly Castelvetranos are avail at Costco.

A lot of olives in olive bars are mushy and old. Nasty. Find a good source of olives. You can find good quality canned olives online. Most small stores by them canned and dump into the olive bar--which is to say a good can of olives will be better than an olive sitting out for god knows how long.

I like mine pitted bc they are easier to eat. The prepared Italian good shop around the corner from me mixes his with lemon, garlic and red pepper flakes: yum. I also like a Provençal flavor.

I'm going against the grain and saying start with kalamata olives - because they're the ones I like best (and the ones I started eating when I realised I didn't hate olives like I'd been saying for years...)

Archived