Garcinia Cambogia

Kati Decker

Anyone heard of this? I just saw something over the interwebs about this and thought I'd ask it here. It's a fruit from southeast Asia and supposedly helps with weighloss. I have yet to do any research on it, but Dr Oz (thank you grandma) had it on his program.

Here's a quote from the online article, "According to Dr Lindsey (The guest host on the popular Dr Oz show) Garcinia Cambogia Extract works in more than one way, 'The first way is it goes in and causes the body to burn glucose, or sugar, and burn fat, mainly in the liver…The second way, the most important way, is it slows the release of sugar into the blood stream. So when you don't have sugar building up in the blood stream, you don't have fat building up because sugar turns to fat…When the two are combined together, you get this synergistic effect that basically burns and blocks and stops fat, but it also is natural and safe.'"

It sounds like it essentially does the same thing as we're all currently doing with the Whole30, but the Whole30 has other awesome effects in our bodies.

I have a hard time believing there's a magic pill. And if there is one, the side effects make taking it worthless, normally. So when I saw this I was curious if anyone else had seen it, tried it, had an opinion on it?

I actually took this one when I did Medifast, as I think it could theoretically be good with low carb diets. The other thing it does is it is an appetite suppressant. I tend to question whether suppliments really work in general, but the thing that sold it with me was garcinia cambogia was from all accounts not dangerous - so the worst thing that might happen is it would be ineffective.

Since the Whole 30 is not particularly low carb & is supposed to be resetting your hunger system, I don't think it is a good thing to take with the program, although it would be nice if it sped fat loss.

Archived