Deb sans diet coke

dboothsummers

Well, the Whole30 has empowered me to do something I have never, ever done in my life. Go two FULL days without the staples of my diet: Diet Coke, grains (oatmeal and couscous, mostly), sugar (in EVERYTHING) and dairy (goat cheese nom nom).

I have literally never done that before. I have 25 lbs to lose and even if I don't lose anything on this whole30, I know the key to changing my relationship with food forever is to slay the sugar dragon. I've literally tried every other diet on the planet. My nutrition wasn't terrible but I definitely prefered black beans and couscous with spinach and onions to a piece of chicken.

Day 1:

I was so zonked I couldn't wake up in time to WOD.

Breakfast: sausage/butternut squash hash cooked in coconut milk. made me want to gag (my usual breakfast is a 100 cal pack of oatmeal and fruit)

Lunch: roast chicken, steamed green beans, roasted cauliflower, sprinkled w sunflower seeds and homemade balsamic. mmmmm.

snack: apple, HB egg, a couple of macadamia nuts

dinner: chocolate chili & cauliflower fouscous (both from theclothesmakethegirl.com)

snack: handful of strawberries

i also had at least four cups of tea

I was in bed by 9.

Day 2:

again, zonked. major headaches.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with spinach, tomato, onion, mushrooms

lunch: grilled chicken salad w/ balsamic and sunflower seeds

snack: strawberries and macadamia nuts

dinner: chocolate chili, salad with pomegranate seeds (yum!), sweet potato

snack: strawberries

lots of tea, fell asleep on the couch at 715 (!!!)

felt like absolute hell most of the day, unshakeable headaches

Day 3:

another day, another missed WOD because I'm SO DANG TIRED.

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs and a sweet potato... my first black coffee! oh coffee i missed you!! you're not so bad w/o splenda!

lunch (planned): braised short ribs, zucchini, squash

snack (planned): pear and macadamia nuts

dinner: ground beef patty w/ guacamole, salad, sweet potato

snack: blackberries

so question... am i eating too much, too little of anything? what can i do to make myself get up for my 615 WODs? going to bed earlier clearly isn't the answer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it, you can do it!

I drank a lot of diet coke before i went primal. Some days 4 liters of more :wacko:

And a very very crappy diet.

I also felt horrible the first 2 weeks after changing my diet, but it will get better.

I should give yourself a break about the exercise. Just go on a walk and let your body heal for a moment first.

This is my second W30 & this one is all about diet coke. I dropped it first time around and afterwards the only thing I reintroduced was DC. First it was one or 2 cans a week, then it was one a day, then there was a few days of more than one a day & my sleep was suffering. So I ditched it 2 weeks ago. My sleep is still not great but I suspect I have to up my calories at the end of the day as I am waking during the night.

For now if you are too tired to do your WOD don't do it. Take time off, let your body heal. Sleep if that is what your body needs. CF & WODs will still be there in a week or a month.

Hi! Diet Pepsi was probably the hardest thing for me to give up. It is lovingly referred to as crack in our house.

I believe the headaches/tired feeling is totally normal. It should calm down after a week or so. It is also totally OK to take this time off from your WODs. I have read where 1 week or maybe even 2 is totally normal. Don't beat yourself up about it. In my experience, I have felt stronger in the gym from an absence anyway, but that is for another forum.

Anywho - based on what you have logged, I can't tell if you are getting enough protein and fat. I assume when you wrote balsamic you mean a vinaigrette with olive oil. Fat ideas: olives/oil, coconut flakes, nut butters (be careful with these), nuts/seeds, avocado/oil, coconut milk/oil. Your snacks don't seem to have a lot protein. Try adding some jerky or deli meat, more HB eggs, tuna, etc. Lastly, sweet potatoes are AWESOME, especially with cinnamon and a bit of coconut oil! Love them, but on day 3, for example, you have them listed twice. I like to limit my dense card sources, like sweet potatoes, to post workout only. Sometimes I will have a small one with dinner, but mostly post work out. I only mention this because you mentioned you have some weight you want to lose and that you have a sugar dragon to slay. :) Perhaps replace the dinner sweet potato with roasted asparagus or broccoli or carrots, etc. Just something to consider…

Like I said, this looks really good…all the right food, just check your quantities, especially protein and fat. I hope this helps…let me know if you have any questions.

thanks for all the responses. the sweet potatoes are mostly because my parents grew them last summer, and we are getting to the end of their viable season. they sent me home with a full box from the root cellar this past weekend. but you're right, i'll skip the dinner one tonight for sure. and yes, the balsamic has lots of oil. i find it hard to get in fat during the day that's not nuts since i'm working at a desk all day. I'll start trying coconut flakes or maybe bringing tuna w/ some homemade mayo to get protein and fat in one dish. It's hard to get used to eating so much meat and fat after having beans as my main source of protein (I'm not a vegetarian, i just don't care for meat tha tmuch) and grains as a cheap and easy staple.

I know what you mean, I sit at a desk all day as well. Olives are easy...open a can, dump a handful in some Tupperware, munch at your desk. My current obsession is sliced avocado with sliced deli meat (W30 approved) wrapped around each avocado slice. This is sooooooo good! You get your fat and protein all in one. Also, you mentioned coffee. You can add your coconut milk to that. I open a can, put it on the Magic Bullet for a few seconds and bring it to work. I have even walked in the coffee shop with it. One can gets me through the whole week.

Thanks for the coconut milk idea! I actually just tried watering down my coffee, and it worked! Black and not all that bad!

After your suggestions, day 3 looked more like this:

Day 3:

another day, another missed WOD because I'm SO DANG TIRED.

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs and a sweet potato... my first black coffee! oh coffee i missed you!! you're not so bad w/o splenda!

lunch: braised short ribs, zucchini, squash, broccoli mix

snack: 4 slices of dehydrated mango, 5 macadamia nutsd

inner: ground beef patty w/ guacamole & salsa, salad, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil

snack: strawberries and a couple carmelized coconut flakes (from well fed)

i started feeling better midday and by the time i got home had the energy to cook a kale/butternut squash/sunbutter mix sprinkled w/ a T of pecan chips. it made two servings, and i'm trying to eat it right now. i just... don't like kale that much.i also boiled another dozen eggs and made homemade mayo!! glorious!

Day 4:

bfast: 2 HB eggs, kale with butternut squash and sunbutter

lunch: roast turkey, veggies cooked in olive oil

snack: 2 persian cucumbers, 1/2 a larabar

dinner: grilled chicken breast, cut up over coconut almond green beans (well fed recipe)

snack: other 1/2 of the larabar (if i'm hungry)

I should also say that i'm really, really lucky to work at a place with an incredible, locally-sourced, mostly organic, carbon-friendly cafeteria. they make everything on site and have entrees that are just protein daily. they have four sides to choose from and two are always veggies steamed roasted or cooked in olive oil. there's also a salad bar. they had an indian dish the other day with a coconut nad tomato sauce and i asked if there was sugar in the sauce. they said yes, and i chose somethign different. all i had to do was ask to know if there's sugar in their housemade vegan balsamic vinaigrette (agave, so i use the different vinegars and oils they have). so far this week i've eaten all my lunches from the cafe and know they are whole30 approved.

another treat is the daily agua fresca! This week I've had cinnamon orange and raspberry lemon. I usually go half and half with my tea for something fun.

the hard part is the free M&Ms and diet coke in every breakroom on every floor.... mantra: just because it's edible doesn't mean it's food. just because it's edible doesn't mean it's food...

right? i forgot to mention the teddy grahams, jif peanut butter, wheat thins, cheez its, fig newtons and graham crackers. there are also free pastries every friday (tomorrow). at least we get fresh fruit every monday, free counter culture coffee... but the bigelow teas are full of lechitin.

So Day 4 actually went like this:

Day 4:

bfast: 2 HB eggs, a bit of kale, 1/2 a larabar

lunch: roast turkey, veggies cooked in olive oil

snack: 2 persian cucumbers, 1/2 a larabar, HB egg

dinner: cumin lime baked chicken (amazing recipe, just google it) w/ 1 T of homemade mayo mixed w/ spices, cut up over coconut almond green beans (well fed recipe)

snack: T of coconut flakes, a whole dang cup of blackberries

really the only fail was eating too many blackberries. i think the larabar messed me up, i had pretty strong cravings.

Had the energy to mow the lawn, cook up a storm, clean the kitchen, do some work. no falling asleep on the couch at 715 for this girl!

Day 5:

morning WOD (I made it!): 4 rounds:

400 m

20 pushups

20 air squats

on 3/11 my time was 18:38. Today it was 17:12.

PWO: 1 egg white, 1/2 c blackberries

B: 2 eggs cooked w/ 2 slices of bacon, spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms

my new best friend, black coffee

lunch: chicken or fish, veggies, olive oil based dressing

snack: apple, HB egg, coconut flakes

dinner: I HAVE NO DINNER PLANS. I have nothing I plan to cook, no leftovers and nothing thawed. This is not a good set up. I will try to plan during the day today. i was holding out for the farmer's market tomorrow morning but i may need to just shop tonight.

Here's how Day 5 actually looked:

Day 5:

morning WOD (I made it!): 4 rounds:

400 m

20 pushups

20 air squats

on 3/11 my time was 18:38. Today it was 17:12.

PWO: 1 egg white, 1/2 c blackberries

B: 2 eggs cooked w/ 2 slices of bacon, spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms

my new best friend, black coffee

lunch: chicken and egg on veggies, olive oil based dressing

snack: coconut flakes

dinner: So, I went to Ruby Tuesday. I annoyed the hell out of my waitress. Got them to cook me a steak in no oil or butter and had salad bar w/ vinegar. 6 oz of steak, veggies

snack: coconut flakes, 2 bites of a larabar

First of all, I'm DANG proud of myself. So darn proud i treated myself to two little clothing treats at the mall last night.

Saturday:

B: 2 HB eggs, larabar

WOD: 400m + 20 burpees, 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 burpees and squats (6:48), 400m

PWO: banana, HB egg

L: Rogan Josh w/ cauliflower mash. Both recipes from well fed. both AMAZING.

Dinner will be the same, and I'll probably snack on cukes and guac or coco flakes

today is my 6th day without sugar, grains, diet coke and dairy. remember, that's just about all i ate before starting this. i still have the urge but not a craving. i'm not craving diet coke and might be able to put that bad habit to rest.

my husband has already lost 10 lbs. i haven't been on the scale but i'm pretty sure i haven't lost an ounce. feel awesome though.

Day 5 actual:

B: 2 HB eggs, larabar

WOD: 400m + 20 burpees, 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 burpees and squats (6:48), 400m

PWO: banana, HB egg

L: Rogan Josh w/ cauliflower mash. Both recipes from well fed. both AMAZING.

snack: venti iced green tea from starbucks. handful of coco flakes. 1/2 a larabar (overdoing it, i know)

D: Rogan Josh w a small sweet potato w/ cinnamon and salt (jsut as good as cinnamon sugar). a few coco flakes

Snack: handful of strawberries from the farmer's market.

i threw down those burpees faster than i've ever done!

day 7! a whole week! it's hard to believe that last week i was chowing down on my third easter biscuit, wondering how i would ever live without carbs.

B: 3 eggs topped w/ 1 T of guac, salsa; cup of tomatoes with balsamic vinegar; 4 small strawberries; handful of cocoflakes

L (planned): rogan josh and probably some salad or beets

S: NOT a dang larabar....

afternoon yoga, gotta work on that hip mobility

D: chicken thighs cooked in the ronco (at home rotisserie. it's awesome), salad

Game of Thrones food: hot tea

Day 7:

B: 3 eggs topped w/ 1 T of guac, salsa; cup of tomatoes with balsamic vinegar; 4 small strawberries; handful of cocoflakes

L: rogan josh and some salad w beets & evoo/balsamic

S: another larabar. dammit. HB egg

D: turkey breast cooked in the crockpot, jicama w/ homemade ranch drsng, carrots

Game of Thrones food: hot tea, half a handful of coco flakes, 3/4 c strawberries

Day 8 so far:

WOD: 10 rounds, 10 kb swings, 100m sprint

PWO: half a small sweet potato

B: sweet potato and homemade sausage hash. yum!

L (planned): leftover turkey and carrots, jicama

Glad to see you are making it back to the gym. :)

Make sure you are eating some protein after the workout.

...and, I assume you are drinking lots of water

oh' and if you really don't want to be eating those Larabars...just get them out of the house. Give them to a neighbor, friend, co-worker...just get rid of them. :)

dang it, one more thing...add some fat to the planned lunch today.

You are doing great!

Day 8 actual:

WOD: 10 rounds, 10 kb swings, 100m sprint 14:20 (i'm sloowwwww in my new minimalist shoes)

PWO: half a small sweet potato

B: sweet potato and homemade sausage hash. macadamia nuts.

L: leftover turkey and a few carrots, jicama w homemade ranch, pear

D: three (YES THREE) small chicken thighs cooked in the Ronco (amazing easy way to cook meat), a big helping of broccoli slaw mixed with my mayo and some apple cider vinegar, one slice of freeze dried mango

Day 9 (yay!):

B: 2 HB eggs, larabar (I've decided I can have one every other day but not as "dessert". they're so easy)

L: more leftover turkey and carrots, salad or sweet potato (i brought a sweetpotato but with the larabar i should save it for tmw)

D (planned): grilled fish, fresh veggie salad

if i need a snack, i have more jicama and HB eggs here at work.

I feel AWESOME. Depsite having a bazillion things going on in my life, I feel great. I've finally dropped all of my "Durham" weight (I live in the world's greatest city for delicious food... not even "bad" food, but locally sourced amazing biscuity homemade ice cream truck goodness... and it's tougher than my previous midwestern town where olive garden was the best restaurant the first two years i lived there). i don't feel bloated. i didn't have a 3pm slump yesterday! i thought about getting a snack, realized i wasn't actually hungry and went on to something else!

Day 9 actual:

B: 2 HB eggs, larabar (I've decided I can have one every other day but not as "dessert". they're so easy)

L: more leftover turkey and carrots, jicama

S: 2 HB eggs, sweet potato

D: Cod with a coconut/pecan crust. veggie salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette

S: chamomile tea, and I licked the sunbutter off the spoon i used to put some in my lunch today

Day 10:

WOD: 6 rounds, 200m, 10 box jumps, 5 burpees. 15:20 (beat my march time by 10 seconds)

PWO: small sweet potato, few bites of tuna

B: 1/4 can of coconut milk in my coffee, 2 HB eggs (i'll probably try to down some jicama too)

L: jerk chicken w/ summer squash and tomatoes drizzled w/ evoo

S: apple, sunbutter, egg

D: spaghetti squash w/ local sausage, roasted tomatoes and basil, tossed in evoo and balsamic

This morning on the way in to work I actually smiled to myself because I feel SO DANG GREAT.

Day 10:

WOD: 6 rounds, 200m, 10 box jumps, 5 burpees. 15:20 (beat my march time by 10 seconds)

PWO: small sweet potato, few bites of tuna

B: 1/4 can of coconut milk in my coffee, 2 HB eggs (i'll probably try to down some jicama too)

L: jerk chicken w/ summer squash and tomatoes drizzled w/ evoo

S: apple, sunbutter

D: a few small shrimp cooked in coco oil, a few bites of pulled pork, egg, strawberries (whole foods bar, anyone?)

i am TIRED. life is crazy busy but man i'm zonked.

Day 11:

Benadryl hangover. Damn you allergies

B: 3/4 sausage & spinach mix, 1 HB egg, cup of green beans that my parents grew, picked and canned

L: zucchini "pasta" with delicious salsa and chicken and EVOO from the cafeteria.

S: Coworkers were having a "dessert party" for a colleague who returned from maternity leave. I won't say what was available to eat becaus ei'm trying not to think about it, but i had some sliced strawberries and the other half of the larabar

D: chicken thighs, more zucchini "pasta". i got some to go because it was so dang delicious!

I also added a salad and some coconut flakes to my dinner last night.

Day 12:

WOD: For time: 100 DB thrusters w/ 3 burpees every minute on the minute. 9:42 (17 s better than my late Feb time)

Measured myself because I ended a 8 week CF bootcamp program - down 3.75", this is my second program and i'm down a total of 7.75" in 16 weeks!

PWO: tuna, strawberries

breafkast: tuna w/ mayo, cucumbers

L:braised beef w/ broccoli, lettuce, 1/2c sweet potato

S: pear, 1/2 a cuke

D: ground beef w/ guac and salad

Archived