Deb sans diet coke

dboothsummers

Last night I made us an AMAZING taco salad. local ground beef cooked with lime juice and chili powder, local lettuce, organic tomatoes, green mountain gringo salsa (no sugar or other junk!), guac from trader joes, homemade mayo made into cumin lime southwest dressing, and cukes. it was the best. after all of yesterday's cravings, it made me feel like sticking to it. that will absolutely be a go-to meal for us, like chicken thighs in the ronco.

Today:

WOD: mowing, weedeating, spraying poison ivy. yeah it counts. it's hot here.

B: 2 eggs w/ guac and salsa, strawberries, tomatoes w/ balsamic

L: a pecan pie larabar (only because i couldn't stand the thought of cooking something else), HB egg, strawberries

D: pulled pork that's currently in the oven w/ homemade paleo BBQ sauce, broccoli slaw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really was, and thanks for the encouragement, Jeanye! I was about to fall face first into some Ben and Jerry's when I saw your post and it helped a lot!

Today:

another rest day because I'm pretty sure my poor form on thrusters on Friday did something gnarly to my lower back.

B: pulled pork w/ paleo bbq sauce, green beans, half a larabar

L: probably the same, except with salad and dressing

D: roast pork belly, butternut squash

today so far:

B: a few bites of sausage/sweet potato hash. an egg

S: larabar

L: flank steak, cauliflower, 2 tsp of almond butter

i'm still hungry so i'm eating abit more almond butter

S (planned): egg, cucumber

D: another one of those taco salads. yum.

the cravings for just a latte are outrageous right now.

Hey Deb,

Your breakfasts look a little small. Are you full and satisfied after breakfast? I've always found it easiest to curb cravings later in the day by eating an epic breakfast. It leaves me fuller longer, and (in my experience anyway) have always found breakfast to be the easiest meal to keep squeaky clean.

eggs and sausages and sweet potato home fries, oh my!

this morning i couldn't even make myself EAT breakfast! i was hungry enough to eat before leaving for work, which i almost never do, but the thought of my sausage/sweet potato hash just made me so ill that i totally lost my appetite. i ate the egg because i got hungry and the larabar because i couldn't stomach another egg.

i realize i'm relying on those larabars a lot. i'm letting myself have a little more than i normally would because it's my crazy craving week/cycle mania...

i'm waiting for my tastebuds to change so i'll actually like the foods i'm eating...

So day 15 actually:

B: a few bites of sausage/sweet potato hash. an egg

S: larabar

L: flank steak, cauliflower, 2 tsp of almond butter

i'm still hungry so i'm eating abit more almond butter

S: 2 eggs, cucumber, apple

D: roasted pork belly, lettuce w/ balsamic

Day 16: Renee, following your advice, I ate a massive breakfast!

WOD: Day 1 of CF Foundations! Established my baseline on pullups (green AND blue bands), discovered that my weak back is my pushup issue, and did a short WOD of 400m, 40 air squats, 30 sit ups, 20 pushups in 6:10.

PWO: banana (i know, i know more protein!)

B: 4 egg spinach and tomato frittata, cantaloupe & pineapple mix

L: pork ribs, sweet potato, cucumbers in vinegar

snack: mini larabar

D: taco salad (lettuce, tomato, salsa, guac, beef, cumin lime dressing)

S: mini larabar

Today I'm going to the doctor for my stupid SI joint pain. I hope it doesn't keep me from doing the OLY part of CrossFit, but it just might.

B: 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, tomato, onion, mushroom; almond butter

L: curry chicken, mixed roasted veggies

D: chicken thighs, lettuce w/ balsamic vinaigrette

went to the movies last night. NO popcorn or diet coke, even though at our local theater on weeknights you basically get a medium popcorn and drink for free when you pay ticket price (a groupon thing)

WOW - big congrats on resisting the movie treats! I wanted to go to the movies this past weekend, but since going to a theater is a rare occurance I almost always have popcorn when I'm there. I decided not to tempt fate... see anything good?

I can't wait to hear what you think of diet coke at the end of all this, if your tastebuds really do adjust!

well! I didn't have cravings yesterday, only ate the minilarabars because i was hungry and needed a snack before dinner was ready. i need to come up with something better as a quick and easy snack. i feel like i'md oing the best i can keeping up with cooking this way for two people (my husband works 80+ hour weeks and has no time to even help clean the kitchen most nights).

Today I had a major anxiety/craving moment. I was doing so well and then I went to the doctor for some SI joint pain. He basically told me not to do crossfit. I got really upset about this, really frustrated with the fact that I haven't lost any weight on this since week 1 and really annoyed with how much I'm cooking. I was inches from hopping out of whole foods into ben and jerry's. I bought a Larabar.

I know it's a crutch. I know. I know I still fed the craving. But the fact that I did not totally abandon the diet for a week makes it feel like a victory for me.

Am I still technically Whole30 compliant?

Good job on not abandoning the diet. I'm generally a fan of tough love... and I think you will know when it's time to give the Larabars tough love.

Docs can be really frustrating. Did you tell your CF coaches about your SI joint pain? Did they feel they could modify WODs if necessary? I trust docs sometimes, but sometimes I don't think they are aware of the whole picture.

I strongly believe in listening to your body (i.e., I'm not a no-pain-no-gain person). But I also think having a community that commits to meet at a certain time and do similar workouts can be incredibly helpful. You'll figure out the right thing for you to do for your body.

As a complete aside, have you ever tried any yoga for your SI joint pain? A good friend of mine can be pain-free all day if she does yoga in the morning and she has SI pain. Just one contextless, anecdotal thought. :lol:

hanks for the notes. yeah, my husband is an MD so i try not to do the whole "doctors don't know shit" thing because honestly, i've been with him since high school and he studies more and is smarter than anyone i know. but i do think that docs have biases against certain things and i'm going to try to keep CFing and see how it goes.

Day 18 (!!):

WOD: Day 2 of CF foundations. A few sets of deadlifts, presses and back squats. 30 pushups, sit ups, back extensions, air squats. the WOD was AMRAP 10 min 10 burpees 10 deadlifts. 10 burpees and 5 deadlifts in my back started screaming at me, and i stopped (yay for listening to my body!) and spent the rest of the time foam rolling

no PWO since I didn't do the WOD

B: HB eggs (I'm goign to try to down 3 in the spirit of "big breakfast, fewer cravings"), 1/2 a sweet potato

L: roasted turkey, sugar snap peas, sweet potato puree w coconut milk (thank you, vegans who want options in our cafeteria)

D: leftover chicken thighs (yum), baby lettuce w/ balsamic

I'm sorry, I'm out of the "pink cloud" as they call it in recovery groups. The "this is so awesome i feel great!" lasted like three days and now i'm back to "why am i doing this this sucks."

??

Sleep is good, but I am still relying on 9-10 hours a night. I was hoping to reduce that to 8.

I posted over in the troublehsooting section about spending $1225 this month for two people on food. I can't afford that, much less sustain it.

So:

I'm going to Costco this weekend and buying bulk chicken breasts, ground beef and pork loin. Tuna in cans. A bag of apples, a big bag of frozen veggies, and a few fresh ones.

I'm staying out of Whole Foods, and when I finish the coconut milk, flakes and oil I have on hand, I'm not buying anymore. Just olive oil in bulk at Costco. I'll cook with it and if it kills me, we'll never know if it was the large amounts of Crisco I consumed as a child in a southern household rotating weekly through fried chicken, fried pork chops in gravy, spaghetti with meat sauce and hot dogs, or because some evoo oxidized.

What I'm trying to say is: eating this way is HUGE progress for me, even if it's only following the spirit and not the letter of the Whole30. I just drank a skim latte and I don't really feel bad about it. I stress fractured my sacrum at 18 (it's REALLY difficult to do unless you fall on your butt. i was running. slowly.) and cannot eat enough spinach to get the calcium. Huge history of osteo and rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis in my family. I don't even like milk that much but before whole30 I tried to get some in daily (skim or greek yogurt) for calcium purposes.

So I guess I made it 18 days. I am really grateful for the lessons I've learned:

• Diet coke is funky poison and makes your palate insensitive to sweets
  • white stuff is a special occasion food, not an every day every meal food
  • i don't need sugar in my coffee, real or fake
  • protein and veggies should be the building blocks of every meal, not cheese and grains
  • if it comes in a box, it's probably not real food.
  • i can live without added sugar
  • a sweet potato is a delicious treat and doesn't need butter

Thanks, Whole30, for teaching me life without sugar is Just Fine, Thank You Very Much (said vehemently at the cookie aisle).

I don't think you have to give up on the W30 just because you're going to cook in olive oil and buy conventional meat. At least it doesn't seem like you should have to. I think the choices you're making re: Costco reflect really wanting to stick to it, but in a way that's sustainable, and that's awesome. I've been keeping track of my grocery bills since going paleo in January and I'm averaging about $450-$500 a month. Granted, I didn't keep track before so I don't really know if that's up or down or what or if it's high. I do feel the bite of the cost at the meat counter though, my goodness. So I feel ya there. :(

So yesterday I posted about my first day back on in another thread.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/279-holy-whoa/

Yesterday, here's how I felt:

Like total and utter sh*t. I actually left work with a headache I couldn't shake and slept like a rock for 3.5 hours in the middle of the afternoon without even stirring. As such, my eating was sporadic, but I did stick to the plan.

I get more than 8 hours of sleep/night. There is no way my body could be that tired. I did WOD yesterday, but it was a short one and shouldn't have been that insane.

This morning, I also felt like crap. I went to bed at 9:15, woke up to turn off my alarm at 7:10 and email my boss, and went back to bed with ANOTHER headache until 930 or so. I woke just long enough to eat some strawberries with my ibuprofen so I wouldn't get a stomachache.

Brunch: strawberries, turkey, butternut squash

work: caved in to a skim latte.

back on the plan for the evening:

turkey, butternut squash, salad

homework: research on why i should not have dairy. I need to convince myself and right now the mantra "you are not a baby mammal" is not working for some reason.

Archived