Pre/Post-Workout Meal Suggestions?

malie

• Administrators

@Day 3 not going to fail this! - you should be having post workout food on those instances where you feel like you've been depleted. Did you eat after your noon run? If you're feeling awful and not recovering you can scale back your exercise a bit and/or increase your recovery. Part of recovery is eating to fuel activity, both leading up to and after. This is cumulative....think bigger picture.

@Treesh - yes, all of the pre and post workout information is "covered somewhere". There are many pages of threads here in the athletes section including the one you are posting on that address how to know if you need pre and post workout food. Although the information may not be micro-specific to your question, have a read around and see if you can educate yourself some before we type out all the same information again.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New question, same subject: I'm training for a full marathon and I'm getting into some really long runs (3-4 hours long) first thing in the morning. Should I eat a normal meal template or a really large PWO snack? I really want to maximize my energy and efficiency during these runs. I also need fuel suggestion for during these runs as well. Thank you! 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Nicole Lee said:

New question, same subject: I'm training for a full marathon and I'm getting into some really long runs (3-4 hours long) first thing in the morning. Should I eat a normal meal template or a really large PWO snack? I really want to maximize my energy and efficiency during these runs. I also need fuel suggestion for during these runs as well. Thank you! 

Give it a try both ways. Try with a full breakfast and then try with just a preworkout snack. See how you do. Maybe your body will prefer one over the other. Hard for us to say.

You can cruise around the athletes forum for lots of discussion about what to fuel with on longer runs/exercise - no sense us typing all that out again.

I tried to read through a bit of these post and I can't find anyone with a schedule like mine and I need a little help with what I eat in the mornings. I was always eating a banana with almond butter but after finding this board 10 days ago, I saw where that wasn't the best thing. 

My schedule: Monday-Friday

wake at 6am, eat at 6:30, drop child off at preschool, gym at 8:10. 

M- 40 min weight lifting class,  20-30 minutes of swim  

T- 5-6 miles of speed workout

W- Weight lifting class & 10-20 miles of spin or 2-3 miles run

T- 20-30 minute swim & 1 hr. Yoga

F - long run day (14-22 miles) marathon in April  

Weekend Schedule:

S- yoga

Sun- 5-8 mile run

Leave Gym, pick up child, eat at noon  

So my problem is, my runs have sucked since switching my breakfast to 2 eggs & a few almonds. Is this something my body will adjust to and I need to give it more time? 

I don't feel hungry after working out, do I need to do a post workout snack?

sorry for so many questions, just trying to do my best & get good results!

thanks! 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, KimberlyJo said:

I tried to read through a bit of these post and I can't find anyone with a schedule like mine and I need a little help with what I eat in the mornings. I was always eating a banana with almond butter but after finding this board 10 days ago, I saw where that wasn't the best thing. 

My schedule: Monday-Friday

wake at 6am, eat at 6:30, drop child off at preschool, gym at 8:10. 

M- 40 min weight lifting class,  20-30 minutes of swim  

T- 5-6 miles of speed workout

W- Weight lifting class & 10-20 miles of spin or 2-3 miles run

T- 20-30 minute swim & 1 hr. Yoga

F - long run day (14-22 miles) marathon in April  

Weekend Schedule:

S- yoga

Sun- 5-8 mile run

Leave Gym, pick up child, eat at noon  

So my problem is, my runs have sucked since switching my breakfast to 2 eggs & a few almonds. Is this something my body will adjust to and I need to give it more time? 

I don't feel hungry after working out, do I need to do a post workout snack?

sorry for so many questions, just trying to do my best & get good results!

thanks! 

Have you looked at the template?  2 eggs and a few almonds isn't a template breakfast and it's vastly undereating so it's not that surprising that your workouts are suffering.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you canhold in one hand without dropping.  The rest of the plate should be full of veggies and then the added fats and it is not recommended to eat nuts every day or at every meal so you might want to consider finding a different plated fat.

If you've depleted your body for a workout then you need to eat a post workout snack... a few bites of lean protein and starchy carb is fine and you don't have to be hungry to eat this, it's simply for recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

All of these posts are so helpful, thank you! I'm on day 3 and figuring out the pre/post WC meals. Does anyone know if Chomps Sticks would be a good option for post workout protein/fat? Also I've seen some people put coconut milk in their coffee before working out, would that count as both your fat and protein?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, StephaniePDX said:

All of these posts are so helpful, thank you! I'm on day 3 and figuring out the pre/post WC meals. Does anyone know if Chomps Sticks would be a good option for post workout protein/fat? Also I've seen some people put coconut milk in their coffee before working out, would that count as both your fat and protein?

Some people do just fat as a pre-workout... you can experiment with yourself and see how you feel doing that as opposed to doing a hardboiled egg.  Chomps is not ideal for post workout because it has fat which we want to avoid after working out so that it doesn't slow down the protein absorption but that's a 'best practice' type thing... if you're a regular gym goer, not trying to beat any records and just want to recover for your next activity, it might work... again, try with the chomps and then try with the recommended lean protein and starchy carb and see which is better.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I am brand new to Whole 30 and to this forum. I was hoping to find an answer to a pre- and post-workout question I have in this thread, but I don't see a way to search within the thread. My question is - are there suggestions for vegan pre- and post-workout "meals/snacks" (I am allowing eggs)? I signed up for Real Plans and chatted with a rep there who suggested nutrient dense smoothies. I need to find these recipes as well. Thanks all! 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Patricia7 said:

Hi everyone! I am brand new to Whole 30 and to this forum. I was hoping to find an answer to a pre- and post-workout question I have in this thread, but I don't see a way to search within the thread. My question is - are there suggestions for vegan pre- and post-workout "meals/snacks" (I am allowing eggs)? I signed up for Real Plans and chatted with a rep there who suggested nutrient dense smoothies. I need to find these recipes as well. Thanks all! 

Google is the best way to search this forum. Use 'whole30 + topic' and usually the first results are forum based results.

Eggs would be fine for pre workout.  Post workout is ideally lean protein and starchy carb but unless you're an elite athlete trying to get that final bit of perfected recovery, as long as you eat protein after, even if it's a bit fattier like an egg with the yolk, that's fine.

Smoothies are discouraged for all participants - from our Can I have guide: 

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Thanks, SugarcubeOD. I was not loving the idea of raw eggs in my smoothie anyway!  I found this recipe posted by Ashley on FitMittenKitchen. Is it Whole 30 compliant? If so, would it suffice as a post workout meal or better as breakfast? She uses eggwhite protein:

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Eggwhite-Protein-Pound/dp/B0013OXDBU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484518016&sr=1-6&keywords=egg+white+protein+powder&linkCode=sl1&tag=fitmitkit06-20&linkId=86a7cbf86bebdc9d5fd8bb724e884d81

WHOLE30 SWEET POTATO PROTEIN BREAKFAST BOWL

Preparation5 mins

Total Time 0:05
Serves 1    ADJUST SERVINGS

A Whole30 breakfast bowl packed with protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. Use your choice of protein for a vegan-friendly option.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 small sweet potato, pre-baked
  • 1 serving protein powder*
  • 1 small banana, sliced
  • 1/4 cup raspberries
  • 1/4 cup blueberries

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS

• cacao nibs
  • chia seeds
  • hemp hearts
  • favorite nut/seed butter

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Flesh out sweet potato if not done already. In a small bowl, mash sweet potato with fork. Stir in protein powder until combined.
  2. Layer in banana slices, raspberries, and blueberries. Top with additional desired toppings and dig in! You can enjoy this bowl warm or cold, your choice!

by Ashley

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Patricia7 said:

Thanks, SugarcubeOD. I was not loving the idea of raw eggs in my smoothie anyway!  I found this recipe posted by Ashley on FitMittenKitchen. Is it Whole 30 compliant? If so, would it suffice as a post workout meal or better as breakfast? She uses eggwhite protein:

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Eggwhite-Protein-Pound/dp/B0013OXDBU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484518016&sr=1-6&keywords=egg+white+protein+powder&linkCode=sl1&tag=fitmitkit06-20&linkId=86a7cbf86bebdc9d5fd8bb724e884d81

WHOLE30 SWEET POTATO PROTEIN BREAKFAST BOWL

Preparation5 mins

Total Time 0:05
Serves 1    ADJUST SERVINGS

A Whole30 breakfast bowl packed with protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. Use your choice of protein for a vegan-friendly option.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 small sweet potato, pre-baked
  • 1 serving protein powder*
  • 1 small banana, sliced
  • 1/4 cup raspberries
  • 1/4 cup blueberries

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS

• cacao nibs
  • chia seeds
  • hemp hearts
  • favorite nut/seed butter

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Flesh out sweet potato if not done already. In a small bowl, mash sweet potato with fork. Stir in protein powder until combined.
  2. Layer in banana slices, raspberries, and blueberries. Top with additional desired toppings and dig in! You can enjoy this bowl warm or cold, your choice!

by Ashley

Not really... it's very fruit heavy.  We want you to eat a template meal of 1-2 palms of protein (actual chewed food), vegetables (2-3 cups that can include a fist sized serving of starchy carbs) and a fat source at every meal.

I complete high intensity strength training and metabolic workouts 5 times per week, first thing in the morning. Might anyone please give me some very specific suggestions for both pre-workout and post-workout "snacks" (which as I understand are in addition to breakfast.) I can eat eggs, but do not eat any other form of animal product, and would prefer to not eat a gazillion eggs every day! Thank you!

19 hours ago, Patricia7 said:

I complete high intensity strength training and metabolic workouts 5 times per week, first thing in the morning. Might anyone please give me some very specific suggestions for both pre-workout and post-workout "snacks" (which as I understand are in addition to breakfast.) I can eat eggs, but do not eat any other form of animal product, and would prefer to not eat a gazillion eggs every day! Thank you!

Nut butter as a preWO will work.

Egg whites as postWO maybe on the days that you train if you're not eating them on other days....?

Other than that for a VEGAN (I'm highlighting this so others don't think this recommendation is for EVERYONE!!) quinoa is a pseudo grain and unlike other plant based proteins is a complete protein so probably a good postWO option. 

Archived