Pre/Post-Workout Meal Suggestions?

malie

• Moderators

I just signed up for the forums and I'm not sure how to start a thread so I'm posting my question here.  I started Whole 30 due to many health issues like fatigue, muscle aches caused by fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, asthma, environmental allergies, hypothyroidism, and IBS. I’m 53 years old, my weight was 162 pounds when I started, and my height is 5 feet 3 inches tall. I started Whole 30, 12 days ago and so far I love everything about it.  However I suffered a shoulder injury prior to starting the program and because of all the other health issues I have I’m in severe pain. I’m going to physical therapy 3 times a week. I am not a fan of doing workouts but I love to walk. The doctor said I can only do some slow paced walks until everything is healed.  Would this affect my progress?  Is exercising a key to success in Whole 30.  The book is great but it does not give any fitness recommendations.   It actually assumes that everyone doing Whole 30 already has an exercise routine established, which is not my case.  I’m starting to feel better pain wise and I’m hoping to get the okay from my doctor to start doing something soon.  I would like some recommendations as to where to start in this area and what would be a good routine to follow. Thanks for your support!

It's difficult for us to give you specific advice on how to workout or what to do... it all depends on your specific circumstances, which is why there is no recommendation in the book.  What is recommended for you and your circumstances may be drastically different than what is recommended for me and my circumstances.

You ask if not exercising will affect your progress and I'm unsure what that means.  This is not a weightloss diet of any sort so if that's the type of 'progress' you're worried about, then I can't say because this isn't a diet.  If you're talking about progress in how you feel, your gut permeability etc... then no, slow walking is fine and will not affect the healing.

If you would like specific workout tips and a routine to follow, we recommend that you approach a personal trainer in your area that can work with you to develop a program specific to your needs. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks  for your reply, SugarcubeOD.  I understand this isn't a weight loss program, but I do hope to at least heal my body to get in the path to loose some weight. Most of the conditions I have impact my metabolism and negatively affect weight loss efforts.  There is a possibility that I might not loose any weight the first 30 days but I am willing to continue until I do.  Since this is a not a starvation diet like many others I've done, I am confident something good will come out of it.  What I meant to ask was if I will have  better chances to loosing weight on top all the other benefits if I have an exercise routine in place, in other words is exercise a key component to achieve weight loss as a bonus while doing whole 30.

Thanks!

The saying goes that abs are made in the kitchen, meaning that no matter how much exercise you do if you don't nourish your body, your body won't thank you for your efforts.

For now focus on nourishing your body & eating to heal - that's what your body's primary focus will be anyway - and then look at adding in some walking, and body weight exercises like air squats, wall push ups etc and see how you go.

The recommendation for a woman of your age would be for around 150 mins of moderate to intense activity every week, plus muscle strengthening x2 times a week, OR 75 mins of vigorous intensity plus the strength training. Obviously the vigorous intensity is out for you right now, but you could easily make up the 150mins with walking when you also consider activities such as housework (particularly vacuuming) and gardening... 

Will this help you lose weight? I don't know, but by following the rules and the recommendations of the Whole30, and by feeding your body nourishing wholesome foods your body will soon become fat adapted and will trade up fat for lean muscle so the number on that scale may not change, but your body composition (& your shape) will.

• 3 weeks later...

Only 1.5 more days of my *official* Whole 30!!

I had a similar question. One of my weekly workouts is from 12 pm-1 pm plus some driving time. So right at lunchtime. A few nuts or an egg seem to work fine as a pre-workout snack, but wondering about jerky too (obviously compliant). My main thing though is... when do I take lunch? I don't eat breakfast super early, so doing lunch before my workout is too soon, but then I feel like I should have lunch as soon as possible after my WO. Based on what's being said here, maybe eat a PWO snack in the car coming back from the workout, and then wait about half an hour before eating lunch. Is half an hour enough time?

I realize my Whole 30 is almost over, but I'm planning on maintaining some aspects of it, as best I can. It really has made a phenomenal difference. Thanks folks!

Based on what's being said here, maybe eat a PWO snack in the car coming back from the workout, and then wait about half an hour before eating lunch. Is half an hour enough time?

Yup. Exactly this - half an hour is plenty  :)

• 2 weeks later...

To confirm the 'need' for a pre/post workout meal, this is only if you feel like your body needs it? ie) I am a very active person and regularly work out fasted in the morning and wait until breakfast to eat without any noticeable negative side effects. If I am functioning fine on my normal meal (3 meals) routine, is it necessary to add the extra meals?

If I feel drained or fatigued, I will reassess but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on critical nutrient timing. 

Additionally, what if you do two work outs a day? I generally have a strength session at the gym in the morning and my soccer games are evenings. And my bike rides are to/from work. Which of these constitute the Pre/post wo meals?

Thanks for the support!

The general rule of thumb is that if by NOT having a preWO meal your first meal will be more than within an hour of wakening then you need to include a preWO meal. If the activity that you do raises your heart rate considerably then you defintely need a postWO meal. So if your training session is in the evening for instance you might do well just increasing the protein/fat content of your earlier meal to see you through. Whenever your training session is, if it has raised your heart rate then you eat your postWO meal (it need only be a few bites each of a lean protein & optional starchy carb), shower etc, then eat your next meal - be it meal 1, 2, or 3 - in other words the pre/postWO meals ARE IN ADDITION TO your three regular meals and not in place of them.

In your case I'd say postWO is required after strength training & soccer, but you can probably skip it after the cycle.

Because you're used to training fasted the early morning preWO you can play around with - unless it's delaying your first meal of the day considerably. Bear in mind though that your ability to train fasted may change temporarily whilst your body becomes fat adapted.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Please see my reply to your post on anaemia!!

The general rule of thumb is that if by NOT having a preWO meal your first meal will be more than within an hour of wakening then you need to include a preWO meal. If the activity that you do raises your heart rate considerably then you defintely need a postWO meal. So if your training session is in the evening for instance you might do well just increasing the protein/fat content of your earlier meal to see you through. Whenever your training session is, if it has raised your heart rate then you eat your postWO meal (it need only be a few bites each of a lean protein & optional starchy carb), shower etc, then eat your next meal - be it meal 1, 2, or 3 - in other words the pre/postWO meals ARE IN ADDITION TO your three regular meals and not in place of them.

In your case I'd say postWO is required after strength training & soccer, but you can probably skip it after the cycle.

Because you're used to training fasted the early morning preWO you can play around with - unless it's delaying your first meal of the day considerably. Bear in mind though that your ability to train fasted may change temporarily whilst your body becomes fat adapted.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Please see my reply to your post on anaemia!!

You are a gem, thank you so much! I think I'll Postworkout for the strength training for sure and assess soccer on a game by game basis so far.

Greatly appreciate your kind insight! :)

You are a gem, thank you so much! I think I'll Postworkout for the strength training for sure and assess soccer on a game by game basis so far.

Greatly appreciate your kind insight! :)

Please see my reply on your anaemia post as I suggested above.

In light of the fact you are feeling SO fatigued I'd say you DEFINITELY need those postWO meals, and I'd add in a preWO before your morning session for sure. As I mentioned before for day time or evening sessions you could add extra fat/protein to your earlier meals, but those meals NEED to be composed to mirror the meal template for optimum results.

PostWO fuel is essential for recovery & repair - if you're feeling fatigued after just 4 days just think how bad things could be after 30.

Please do not under fuel yourself - your body will not thank you for it.

I eat my breakfast (usually an omelette with greens and bell peppers, some banana and almond butter) before I take my kids into school for zero period. After I drop them off, I have time for a 3-4 mile run before I go to work. Post-workout, I've been eating a hard boiled egg and either some almonds or sweet potato (I prefer the sweet potato). What ever I eat post run, has to be easy to eat since I'm headed to work and won't have time to eat again until about 12:30 or so, depending on the lunch schedule at school.

• Moderators

Best to stick with the sweet potato not the almonds... fat slows the absorption of protein which is the opposite of what you want in a post workout meal.

Egg is quite fat rich as well so you might be better off with chicken breast, pork chop, tuna... something lean :)

• 7 months later...

I use 100% cold-pressed pumpkin seed protein powder before and after longer workouts (9+ miles runs, hour+ of intense cycling, etc), sometimes with pure hemp protein powder. The pumpkin powder tastes fantastic, like pumpkin seed but less strong, and if I'm in a rush I'll take a scoop of it plain :P

Tastes great in green smoothies or mixed into mashed sweet potato and nut butter as a spread. I've made a jar of spread each week for the past year now. Usually get my pumpkin protein on amazon or iherb/vitacost.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, VictoriaChristine said:

what other lean protein options there may be other then chicken?

Tuna in spring water, egg whites (some people boil the egg & eat the yolk preWO saving the white for after), turkey meat, lean cuts of pork which you could make into meatballs with some seasoning....

I am looking for a quick and easy post workout snack.  I was thinking like jerky and carrots - I need something I can eat in the car on my way to work.  I can do HB eggs, but I thought they might have too much fat in them for that.  Suggestions would be welcome.  

jerky (if compliant) & carrots are good but raw veggies might be hard on the stomach, I would prefer cooked if it were me. I also eat steak, thinly sliced or salmon or tuna burger (without almond meal) with potato would work well. Starch isn't absolutely necessary but the protein is.

My quick/easy breakfast is to prepare egg muffins.  I use a silicone muffin dish and can throw stuff in them like prosciutto or bacon, spinach or kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.  I season the eggs and mix up, then add in my ingredients.  If you don't like eggs that much you could use less eggs and more fillers.  I've also tried chia pudding with coconut milk; you can add fruit and or slivered almonds, cinnamon, etc. to it, it's pretty filling and tastes pretty good.  I also keep RX Bars on hand!

10 minutes ago, ambert619 said:

I've also tried chia pudding with coconut milk; you can add fruit

Fruit & fat aren't actually recommended postWO... the fat because it slows down absorption of the nutrients thereby preventing protein muscle synthesis, and the fruit becasue it replenishes liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen.

I always find roast chicken the easiest - I can cut it up into bite sized pieces & throw it in a tupperware and I'm good to go. It's palatable at any temperature, has a relatively neutral flavour and is easily digested.

With the eggs you could eat the yolk for preWO and save the whites for after....

22 hours ago, Melodyf said:

I am looking for a quick and easy post workout snack.  I was thinking like jerky and carrots - I need something I can eat in the car on my way to work.  I can do HB eggs, but I thought they might have too much fat in them for that.  Suggestions would be welcome.  

2 minutes ago, ambert619 said:

@jmcbn I agree that's why I suggested the egg muffins and mentioned that I've also added the chia pudding because it is quick, easy and helps fill you up.  I'm not suggesting using it as a post work out meal.  

That's what the most recent query on this thread was about though so I'm just clarifying that it wouldn't be suitable :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2016 at 8:18 PM, riss.stewart said:

I've been reading this thread and it seems the most relevant to my problem. Everyone is asking WHAT to eat for a post-workout/pre-workout meal and I would like to know EXACTLY how my recovery is being effected by my diet change. I just finished the January whole30 and decided the next stop on the train would be going back to crossfit. I'm one week in w/ 3 days at the gym and my quads feel absolutely shredded. I've been doing the general recovery activities, light cardio, stretching, foam rolling, etc., but my coach mentioned today I may not be getting enough carbs in post workout to really drill in my recovery. I never used to get this sore pre-whole30, and I also don't want to eat off plan meals simply to boost carb intake, but two days to recover from one 30 min. workout seems a bit intense to me. Ideas anyone? I NEED some help.

I know this post was a while back, but I am on the same boat right now in terms of serious muscle soreness on Whole30. Did you find a solution in regard to post-workout eating?

On 1/31/2017 at 5:10 PM, Melodyf said:

I make turkey breasts in the slow cooker, season with whatever you like, but nothing too strong. I use the turkey meat for turkey salad, to add to my eggs in the morning, and after a challenging workout for quick lean protein. I used to eat mashed sweet potato as well, but lately I've just been eating the turkey and it seems to be enough.

• 1 month later...

I actually have the same question as melodyf. I workout right after work(4-5pm) and then I do have a bit of drive time(around 30mins) home so I'm looking for an easier post wo snack that I can keep with me and will be okay sitting out for about 1.5-2 hours. I know I'm repeating the same question but I'm new and just want to make sure I'm doing the post wo snack correctly so I apologize in advance :)

Archived