Baking sweet potatoes: what's with the ooze?

percypat

I cook with sweet potato all the time but I always chop it up and roast it like potatoes.

Tonight - inspired by all the accounts of whole baked sweet potatoes - I put two whole ones on the baking tray alongside my husband's potato roasties.

They baked for about 90 minutes and when I took them out there was this sweet syrupy stuff that had oozed out of them.

I should have taken a picture but I tasted it and it was delicious. So I may have just eaten all the evidence.

Is this normal? Do sweet potatoes usually do that or did I manage to procure some weird mutant kind? I've never heard of this happening.

It definitely helps to 'season' your pizza stone. I got one of those things for my wedding 4 years ago tomorrow, and I must say that it is now almost black. We have been baking EVERYTHING on that thing for 4 years, but the SP ooze, once cleaned off, still leaves hard-to-see marks that I can see now.

I <3 my baking stone (not just for pizza!).

So today I learned that the sweet potato in a hot habitat is the vegetable version of an aphid. Amazing.

How do you mean? They are damaging to other plants?

I don't usually eat the ooze bc mine is usually too burnt. I like my sweet pots very soft and lately discovered I much prefer them cooked at 400 to 350. (I use a Silpat for easier cleaning.) But the ooze is sweet, almost like a roasted marshmallow.

It made me think of aphids and their honeydew secretions! (The David Attenborough voice comes out a lot in my house).

Okay, that is hi-larious. :0)

To me..when the ooze starts, the potato is ready. I pulled some out before the ooze the other day and they were a little crispy for me.

Butternut squash oozes too? Holy moly. *Adds butternut squash to shopping list*.

If anyone knows of any other oozey vegetables, tell me all about it.

Kabocha squash ooze is the best! :wub:

I too was stunned to discover the oozing whole sweet potato as I had always chopped and roasted peeled chunks. I actually much prefer the chunks, and therein lies the benefit of the whole roasting - I don't stand there eating the entire tray full of chunks fresh out of the oven!

I've never baked a sweet potato :ph34r: I've always just cubed them, covered them in fat and thrown them in the hot air fryer. Today I will try baking them. If you bake a few at a time - how do you reheat them?

I've never baked a sweet potato I've always just cubed them, covered them in fat and thrown them in the hot air fryer. Today I will try baking them. If you bake a few at a time - how do you reheat them?

Must see about this hot air fryer. I bake a few and slice them up. I prefer them room temp after a big workout but cold is good too. You could re-heat them wrapped in foil. Or in a microwave.

I like my baked sweet potato cold too. I usually just scoop them all out into a pyrex dish and store in the fridge and have about 1/2 cup after a run. The cold sweet potato is very refreshing after a particularly warm day workout.

I've never baked a sweet potato :ph34r: I've always just cubed them, covered them in fat and thrown them in the hot air fryer. Today I will try baking them. If you bake a few at a time - how do you reheat them?

Kirsteen, I cut mine in chunks when they cool, toss a handful in a mason jar, throw in a lump of ghee, and take it to work to eat with my lunch. I nuke it in the micro, then screw on the lid until the ghee is melted, shake the jar and enjoy with my meal.

It definitely helps to 'season' your pizza stone. I got one of those things for my wedding 4 years ago tomorrow, and I must say that it is now almost black. We have been baking EVERYTHING on that thing for 4 years, but the SP ooze, once cleaned off, still leaves hard-to-see marks that I can see now.

I <3 my baking stone (not just for pizza!).

Oh, this is thrilling. I never thought to use my pizza stone for this. I was thinking it had met its end. Thanks for the idea!

Yesterday I baked 5 small sweet potatoes (I had the oven on for that cauliflower recipe) and thought that'll do me all week. I sliced one and added it to the skillet with the rest of my dinner - Pthfttt, McYeuch :wacko: I do not like them :( It tasted sweeter somehow and I was totally underwhelmed by the texture. In future I will stick to cubing them and doing them in the air fryer. I really missed the crispy spicyness. Now what to do with 4 baked sweet potatoes :huh:

Yesterday I baked 5 small sweet potatoes (I had the oven on for that cauliflower recipe) and thought that'll do me all week. I sliced one and added it to the skillet with the rest of my dinner - Pthfttt, McYeuch I do not like them It tasted sweeter somehow and I was totally underwhelmed by the texture. In future I will stick to cubing them and doing them in the air fryer. I really missed the crispy spicyness. Now what to do with 4 baked sweet potatoes

Oh Kirsteen. So sad. My daughter said send them on to her. She adores working out like a mammoth and then eating sardines and sweet potatoes after.

Yesterday I baked 5 small sweet potatoes (I had the oven on for that cauliflower recipe) and thought that'll do me all week. I sliced one and added it to the skillet with the rest of my dinner - Pthfttt, McYeuch :wacko: I do not like them :( It tasted sweeter somehow and I was totally underwhelmed by the texture. In future I will stick to cubing them and doing them in the air fryer. I really missed the crispy spicyness. Now what to do with 4 baked sweet potatoes :huh:

Do you have a dog? They love sweet potato! Or, add some chopped pecans and coconut for some crunch. There are many recipes that use mashed sweet potato you can Google. Or, as someone else said, mail them to (Me)!

Archived