On day 22 and I still feel out of it and don'thave energy

I'm on day 23 and feel the same way, lethargic and no strength. It's been up and down with energy levels for the whole time, but having no strength is frustrating. I'm having a sweet potato daily and find that it helps sometimes, and as the advanced members and moderators keep saying - stick it out, everyone is different... I've just asked questions on the forum around pre/post workout snacks as I think I need to tweak this area more. :)

I felt great until I gave up my 1 cup of coffee daily. I've stopped coffee before but never went through this. I was exhausted from day 15-22. On day 18 & 19 I could barely get out of bed. I took my long morning walk then laid around unable to function. Luckily it was the weekend. On day 21 I felt my energy start to come back in the evening. Today, Day 22 I felt almost back to normal.

I've been telling myself that my body is doing a lot of heavy healing. Getting off that 1 cup of coffee (8 oz home brewed, not starbucks etc) gave me an opportunity to see how I really feel.

Hang in there. The energy really does return. I want to extend my Whole30 AIP to see how much better I can feel.

Are you eating enough? You must eat to satiety, not just until you don't feel hungry.

Make sure your plate is piled high and wide with vegetables.

I'm on Day 23 and feel amazing but I have been eating until I feel stuffed at each meal.

My plate is 75% vegetables.

Take a look at my day's typical food -

http://recipe-maniac.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/what-i-eat-in-day.html

Good luck.

Are you eating enough? You must eat to satiety, not just until you don't feel hungry.

Make sure your plate is piled high and wide with vegetables.

I'm on Day 23 and feel amazing but I have been eating until I feel stuffed at each meal.

My plate is 75% vegetables.

Take a look at my day's typical food -

http://recipe-maniac.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/what-i-eat-in-day.html

Good luck.

Your food looks wonderful but you are eating dessert nightly? That is something you want to not be doing on a W30. The idea is to change your relationship with food, and get away from thinking you need/want/deserve dessert after dinner.

Your food looks wonderful but you are eating dessert nightly? That is something you want to not be doing on a W30. The idea is to change your relationship with food, and get away from thinking you need/want/deserve dessert after dinner.

My "dessert" is a baked coconut custard with only 3 ingredients - coconut flakes, eggs and 100% coconut cream. Zero sugar or anything non-Whole30 compliant. Believe me - it is not a "food without brakes" or causing me any problems. I could even eat it for breakfast or lunch if I wanted to. I choose to eat it at dinner.

The funny thing is that I've never been a dessert eater. It's just like an alternative to having a coffee at the end of a meal. I should mention that the coconut cream I use has zero sweetener in it and is 100% coconut cream.

Thanks for suggesting I look at it though. I appreciate your input. :)

That's really interesting Beets and thanks for pointing it out. It had never occurred to me!

Do you see having fruit after the evening main course as non-compliant to the template?

Because if I ate fruit then that would really take the brakes off for me! I'd be wanting more sweetness. ;)

Sorry original poster; this has moved away from your question.

I'm with Beets. A treat after a meal, be it natural sugar or otherwise, is a psychological reward that uses food and that is an attachment we want to try to abandon.

As to fruit, at the end of a meal, this is often seen as the same, and is definitely not advised if it is food with no brakes. I associated my treat/reward with the end of the day and can also see myself leaning too heavily on fruit at breakfast. So, I sometimes have some WITH lunch and occasionaly include it IN dinner. After dinner is sort of non-compliant for me.

Anything I call a custard would be non-compliant for me. Creamy and coconutty is something I would likely call custard. Plus, you mentioned not being able to finish your protein, but you had dessert. Sounds like something paleo-ified pushing real food off of the plate.

Post-W30 (and you mentioned having done more than one) this seems like something you could choose to do, but treats and desserts don't fit my current language of developing a healthy relationship with food.

Thanks for the viewpoints.

I didn't finish the main course because it was a massive piece of salmon and I find I get satiated quite quickly on fresh salmon.

Interestingly, I could have used those ingredients - coconut cream, coconut flakes and egg - to be part of a main dinner course - and it would have been compliant. Actually I got close last night with lamb cutlets marinated in 100% coconut cream and mustard seeds. So it's not the ingredients involved that are in question; just the concept of eating a dessert. Interesting!

I think the deciding point is whether the food in question breaks the Good Food Rule 1: healthy psychological response. I've made my decision based on that.

To get back to original poster; the point I was trying to make was that perhaps she/he isn't eating enough at each meal?

Just a suggestion to see if that helps to feel better. I go through a patch in week 2 where I feel a bit below par but it passes in a day or two.

Hope you're feeling better by now.

Frank, you're not alone, if it is any comfort. I'm on day 18 of the AIP and have felt pretty crummy for almost the whole time. I've had a headache for over a week and zip-zero energy. It can get a little discouraging, but we gotta stay the course - our bodies will thank us... eventually.

Archived