Help! Need quick food idea!

This morning I was planning to have leftover dinner for breakfast (steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and avocado). I reheated it on the stove and the meat was like rubber. I couldn't eat it. Gross. So then I looked up some quick paleo meals and found a recipe for zucchini patties. I figured I'd make those and have some eggs. The eggs sounded really unappealing once I got them ready. So instead I made some organic grass fed hot dogs, smooshed up an avocado, and planned to have the zucchini things. Well they are gross too. I have a defrosted chicken roast and a beef roast ready to prep for today, but that doesn't help me right now. Help! I was able to choke down a hot dog with mustard, but I really didn't want it. Nothing sounds good this morning and actually most food sounds repulsive. I would really love something light like a smoothie or something. That's the only thing that sounds decent, but I don't think I'm craving because I don't want bread, ice cream, or even raisins or something. I have Larabars on hand and I don't want those either. I don't think it's a sweet craving.

Help!

Well, I couldn't wait for responses because I was starving. I looked up more quick paleo meals and didn't really have the ingredients despite having a pretty stocked fridge. Sooo...I searched and searched this site and found someone asking about smoothies. I saw a reply from Robin stating that avoiding smoothies was best practice and not totally forbidden, but it was not a healthy habit. I really had little other choice, so I went for it. I made it with way more veggies than I ever have and very little fruit.

So my breakfast was a smoothie and a hot dog. I made the smoothie with 2/3 cucumber, 1 celery stalk, 5 baby carrots, 4 strawberries, 1/3 banana, and coconut milk. I ate most of it, but my son also had about 1/3 cup of it. I had protein, fat, and veggies. All healthy things, but I know we aren't supposed to drink our food. I did sit and eat it at the table and sip it slowly. I tried to make the best of a bad situation.

In the future, what's a good food to have ready to go in cases like this? I'm on like day 20 and I haven't had this happen to date. I've never had to go through three recipes to get something to eat.

Thanks so much.

This morning I was planning to have leftover dinner for breakfast (steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and avocado). I reheated it on the stove and the meat was like rubber. I couldn't eat it. Gross. So then I looked up some quick paleo meals and found a recipe for zucchini patties. I figured I'd make those and have some eggs. The eggs sounded really unappealing once I got them ready. So instead I made some organic grass fed hot dogs, smooshed up an avocado, and planned to have the zucchini things. Well they are gross too. I have a defrosted chicken roast and a beef roast ready to prep for today, but that doesn't help me right now. Help! I was able to choke down a hot dog with mustard, but I really didn't want it. Nothing sounds good this morning and actually most food sounds repulsive. I would really love something light like a smoothie or something. That's the only thing that sounds decent, but I don't think I'm craving because I don't want bread, ice cream, or even raisins or something. I have Larabars on hand and I don't want those either. I don't think it's a sweet craving.

Help!

I found a fun looking recipe that I haven't tried yet, so I have no idea if they are good reheated. All you need is some left over meat dish: chili with ground beef or something like that seems to be the best option. You could even just brown some sausage the night before and use it in the morning. So, grease muffin tins and put some ground meat in the bottom (generous Tablespoon). Whisk up eggs (4 eggs per cup of meat used) until a bit frothy. Pour eggs over meat, just until it reaches the top of the well. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I agree that steak is horrible reheated. Ground meat, however, is not. This won't help you today, but here are my go-to left overs:

Google Mo-Rockin beef skillet, Pakistani Kima, Spaghetti squash with chicken, bacon and pesto (fastpaleo), Crispy Carnitas (Mark's Daily Apple), Creamy avocado and spinach chicken pasta, and Mushroom and Bacon "Risotto" (Worker Bee). Those all reheat very well in my opinion. I have put them on top of a large bed of baby spinach and microwaved for 30-60 seconds in the morning. I then just toss it up and eat! Even two hard boiled eggs sliced up with some avocado works in a pinch.

I find breakfast the most challenging.

Wow! Thanks for those recipe ideas. I'm going to look into those. Thanks so much!

I tried to eat it, but it was just nasty. I like cold steak and eat that just fine. This was round steak that had been cut into strips and made stir fry style with the veggies and stuff. It was rubbery and had a weird taste that I usually only get if it's nuked....which is why I did it stove top. I HATE microwaved meat. HATE. I don't mind reheated soup or chili (ground beef) in the microwave, but that's it. Blech.

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to go look up those recipes and have some ready to go. :)

Archived