What if sourcing good meat is an issue?

I'm starting my first W30 on June 4th. I'm a student who will be living on campus over the summer -- I'll have my own kitchen, which will make this more manageable. However, I am a student with not a ton to spend on food. Also without a car, my closest food options are Hannaford and a farmer's market (not sure on the quality there). If I can borrow a car I could get to Target and Wal Mart.

Given my financial situation and these options, I'm not sure how feasible it will be to actually get good meat. I think I'm going to make good tuna and good eggs my priorities (because those seem to be the least costly), but I doubt I will be able to afford good chicken and turkey. If I just get standard poultry from Hannaford, am I defeating the purpose of a W30? Will my results drastically change?

Also I'd love to hear about your experiences with meat shopping at Hannaford, Target, and Wal Mart. Any suggestions?

I cannot afford organic meat, so I try to do the best we can. We buy pastured eggs from a farm for $3/dozen. I shop the farmers market for produce and just signed up for a CSA co-op.

For your meats, buy the leanest cuts available, and trim or drain all visible fat before eating. For chicken - make sure you eat it without the skin, as all the unhealthy things live in the fat/skin.

I buy conventional boneless and skinless chicken breasts and thighs.. However, seeing as you are on a tight budget.. buy the skin and bone in, just remove before cooking. I would prefer pastured chicken, but damn it's way too expensive so I made a compromise. Once every two weeks I buy a whole pastured chicken and roast it, pluck off the meat for salads or whatever and the bones go into the freezer to make stock at a later date.

I'm not sure if you can get to a Costco but their brand of tuna is compliant and a bit cheaper(two more cans) than Wild Planet. They also have organic eggs, coconut oil(would last you forever) and a good selection of organic produce.

If I think of more ideas I will post later. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hannafords does have a brand of checking called natural something I can remember the full name, anyway the whole chickens are often a pretty good deal you could buy one and i bet for one person it would last for a few meals.  I buy them and then cut them up, its pretty easy if you have never done it or you could cook it whole and then make chicken salad out of the left overs.  

I have no easy or budget-friendly way to obtain organic/pastured/grass fed meat, chicken, fish, pork, etc.  You just really can't stress about it.  If I did I would never have done a Whole30.  I just buy what I have available, and I have had dramatically fantastic results.  Some day I'll live where I can get the better choice options, but for now I carry on.  You can do this.  Promise.

Archived