Mid W30 Digestive Success

Terresa

I am on Day 24 of my W30, and I have not taken Nexium for a week! I cannot tell you how excited I am about this!

I have taken this stomach-acid-suppressing drug for over 2 years, and have avoided nightshades. For the first year I couldn't eat grains or legumes either, but my doctor talked me into gradually reintroducing low-starch (relatively) whole grains and legumes just over a year ago. They no longer set my stomach on fire, but I couldn't do without the Nexium for more than a day, or the fire was back. During that 2+ years, my digestive system slowed to a crawl, I gained 20 pounds, and I was having to take a laxative once or twice per week to be anything vaguely resembling regular. Most of the time I felt like a stuffed sausage.

I wanted off the Nexium, but my doctor had no alternative to offer. I started my W30 on May 1.

Finally, I have been Nexium-free for a whole week, with the very real prospect of never taking it again! my whole digestive system is healing (and I don't need the laxative either, btw)!

Happy tears here! (If we had a bouncing smilie, I'd use it! :lol: )

Wonderful news! Congratulations.

I'm a big fan of getting off Nexium. My son's gastro dr didn't have any alternatives for us, either. He also suggested ignoring the positive test results for food allergies because it would be too hard. Luckily, I didn't listen. Through an elimination diet and added enzymes and probiotics, we got my son off Nexium and, as a bonus, he sprouted up from the bottom quarter of the growth charts to the top quarter. I wish doctors would take food and nutrition more seriously. It is such a huge factor in so many ailments.

I hope that you continue to see improvements.

This is the same thing that happened to me after going Paleo about a year ago. I used to take almost daily meds and now it is a complete rarity! I cannot believe doctors don't advise this! I had a GI doctor one time tell me it had nothing to do with what I ate! Makes you wonder....

My doctor panicked just over 2 years ago, when I said I couldn't eat anything with more starch than a medium-sized banana. He predicted terrible sudden weight-loss. I joked that I needed to lose the 15 pounds that I had gained over the 4 months it took to gain control over my ulcer with medication. He had me checking in frequently. No weight loss. Not an ounce. He was more than a little puzzled. A year ago, he had me gradually reintroduce starchy veggies and some whole grains, because he was still very concerned that I was not getting the nutrients I needed. But that meant a permanent need for the Nexium.

He supports my desire to stop taking the drug, but he's very skeptical that this is going to work. I think I will surprise him yet again.

Lesson: even well-meaning doctors don't really understand nutrition.

I'm so motivated reading this. I have some sever digestive problems taking laxative twice a day everyday and then I'm still very lucky if I have a bowl movement every 2 weeks :( . I'm permanently bloated and in pain and the Dr just kept on telling me that I must just find a way to live with it, unless I would consider surgery :angry: . I tried to eliminate "problem" foods but nothing seemed to worked.

I'm on day 16 and without laxatives, bowl movement increased to once a week, which to me is like living in heaven!! I know it is still very far from being "normal", but I have hardly any cramps or bloatedness!

Can wait to report back to my Dr that I found a way of dealing with it and it doesn't include any medication or surgery! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived