Salad dressings... what's your favorite?

lalaparker

How Long do these dressing last in the fridge?? I made the ranch from the book and I am concerned I will be throwing it out in 2 days. HELP!

If you're making a dressing from raw eggs, a good rule of thumb is it's good until the egg's expiration date on the carton.  If it starts to separate or smell funky, toss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two homemade attempts have been failures so far so I have resorted to the Bolthouse farms balsamic which is compliant. I would love to try some tessamae's but haven't found locally so would need to order. I really need to try a home made balsamic, maybe this weekend! 

• Moderators

Does anyone have any recipes for a tahini/ginger dressing like you get in Asian restaurants? I had some in Japan this last week and man I want to recreate it at home...

Have you tried this? 

• Moderators

My two homemade attempts have been failures so far so I have resorted to the Bolthouse farms balsamic which is compliant. I would love to try some tessamae's but haven't found locally so would need to order. I really need to try a home made balsamic, maybe this weekend! 

How have your homemade attempts been failures? I have a feeling we could easily help you troubleshoot this one.

• Moderators

I have two that I love.

Balsamic Vinagarette

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup whole grain dijon

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

garlic powder, S&P

Put into a magic bullet or use an immersion blender and emulsify.  

I've never seen a vinaigrette that calls for as much mustard as it does vinegar. Usually I'd use 1t to 1T dijon for these other proportions. But this works?

• Moderators

The Planks Love Guacamole Ranch - I put all into a jar except the coconut milk, buzz w/ my immersion blender and then add the coconut milk and pulse a couple times.  I use a combo of fresh dill and fresh parsley as the herbs.

2/3 cup extra light olive oil or avocado oil
1 room temperature egg
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp dried herbs or handful chopped fresh herbs (my favorite to use is dill, followed by cilantro and/or parsley)
2 Tbsp full fat unsweetened canned coconut milk 

Thanks for this. I'm going to try it!

ETA: I just went to the website to check it out and realized that you're basically making a mayo here with additional seasonings. It might be helpful for folks interested in trying it to look at the original recipe and instructions. Keep in mind the usual stuff for mayo, such as using extra virgin olive oil will make this unpalatable.

• Administrators

I've never seen a vinaigrette that calls for as much mustard as it does vinegar. Usually I'd use 1t to 1T dijon for these other proportions. But this works?

Yep, it's fantastic! Made it for a family bbq and no one could get over the fact that it was homemade and not some high end bought dressing. ;)

• Administrators

Thanks for this. I'm going to try it!

ETA: I just went to the website to check it out and realized that you're basically making a mayo here with additional seasonings. It might be helpful for folks interested in trying it to look at the original recipe and instructions. Keep in mind the usual stuff for mayo, such as using extra virgin olive oil will make this unpalatable.

Yes, good point on the oil. This does turn out much runnier than a standard mayo though, I suspect the fresh herbs in it stops it from setting up completely. When I make it, it's usually quite drizzle-able as opposed to when I make blop-able mayo. :)

• Administrators

Does anyone have a recipe for a compliant mayo type dressing that contains no eggs? I'm missing the texture and uses of mayo; I recently found out I am allergic to eggs so the traditional form is off the menu for me.  

I've heard this one is pretty good but have not tried it: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

• Moderators

Does anyone have a recipe for a compliant mayo type dressing that contains no eggs? I'm missing the texture and uses of mayo; I recently found out I am allergic to eggs so the traditional form is off the menu for me.  

The site for the original recipe with instructions I linked above for the ranch ladyshanny posted also offers an alternative egg-free version.

Im not good at following recipes, I tried making cilantro lime dressing with the basic mayo recipe.  First off It was watery and tasted very oily and gave me and the hubby the runs.  Is there any suggestions, on something easier and not so oily. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sesame Garlic Dressing: 

http://pinchofyum.com/chopped-thai-salad-sesame-garlic-dressing - I swear by this dressing. Substitutions Canola for Avocado Oil, And Soy Sauce for coconut aminos, additionally I toss in a handful of cilantro. I prefer ginger over lemongrass (recipe says either).

People want to eat this dressing by the spoonful!

Chimichurri! It's more of a marinade for meats, but sometimes I love using it as a salad dressing too - I just add extra oil or blend and avocado in with the herbs. here's a recipe! --> http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/pan-fried-plantains-and-basil-chimichurri/ 

I'm also a total sucker for paleo/whole30 ranch dressing :) --> http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/paleo-ranch-dressing/ 

Day 5er here. I made this one today and it is absolutely delicious. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it.

Green Onion Salad Dressing

Prep time:  5 mins

Total time:  5 mins

Serves: About ½ pint.

This Green Onion Dressing is a Paleo-friendly creamy dressing that doesn't need dairy. It's also Whole 30 compliant.

Ingredients

• ½ cup raw cashews, soaked, drained & rinsed
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • ¼ cup green onions, chopped finely
  • 1 tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Real salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Add the raw cashews to a blender and process until they are finely ground.
  2. Add the coconut milk, lemon juice and garlic powder to the blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth - you will need to scrape down the sides a few times to make sure everything combines nicely.
  3. Stir through the green onions and season to taste with salt & pepper.

Notes

This recipe is Whole 30 compliant - yay!

If the Green Onion Dressing thickens too much when refrigerated, just re-blend to a pourable consistency

(Credit to meatified.com. They also had a recipe for a smoked salmon frittata drizzled with this sauce that I can't wait to try this weekend)

Archived