Help....medication fail

Knittingkitten

I would really appreciate some advice. I have fibromyalgia and ME and have been on medication for just about a year which has really helped and makes the difference between not functioning enough to work and being able to work part-time (really important, I am the main earner in our household). I am on my 5 day of whole30 and have had the usual ups and downs that I expected. I have been experiencing some bloating and nausea which surprised me and put it down to some supplements I am taking (fish oil and vitamin d) so cut them down. I took my usual medication this afternoon and within 20 mins the bloating and nausea came on, it then occurred to me to check the ingredients of my meds and they include lactose mono hydrate (presumably milk derived) and maize starch in one, I was then even more horrified to find out that my other contains sucrose and 'sugar spheres'.

What to do!?!

I have been so careful to read ingredients but it never occurred to me to check those. I have been struggling with sugar cravings, no wonder!!!

Medication trumps Whole30 - this is the mantra I hear around this place all. the. time.

You might look at your meals to determine if you are having some bloating issues from the food itself - sometimes moderators will recommend a short course of digestive enzymes to help folks who are having some digestive difficulties as they adapt to Whole30 eating.

Deep breaths. You're fine. (Well, as soon as you figure out the bloating thing ;) ).

Ok, that's really helpful, I wasn't sure where I stood on the whole medication thing. My plan is try eventually get off them and am hoping that changing my diet is a step towards that. I came to the whole30 idea via Dr Myhill's website who recommends paleo eating to reduce symptoms of ME.

The bloating and nausea is weird, it's unusual for me, I have a pretty cast iron stomach and can eat almost anything. I am very interested to see if reintroducing foods post whole30 produces any reactions, although looking at those ingredients I'm not sure if the 'magic' will happen for me!

Correct - doctors trump Whole30.

But... if you find the symptoms continue, consider asking your doctor or pharmacist if there is another variation of the drugs you're taking without the fillers. There may be a compounding pharmacy in your area that can prepare the same meds in a pure form. Something to consider if you can't pinpoint anything else but the meds!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so this would also count for doctor-prescribed supplements? I'm on several doctor-prescribed supplements due to having Multiple Sclerosis, and one of them is fish oil capsules. I just realized the brand of fish oil prescribed by my doctor has soybean oil as the last ingredient (all other supplements are fine). Do I need to have a conversation with my doctor about finding an equivalent fish oil supplement with no soybean oil, or do I not need to bother?

Some people do, some don't.  FWIW, I take a daily medication for my thyroid that has lactose, powdered sugar (explain THAT?!), and corn starch.  The only way to get the medication without these particular fillers is to get a compounding pharmacy to make it up for me.  That's not an especially practical solution in my world, so I continue as I am.  The larger point here is that medications and supplements that you must take do not invalidate your Whole30 if they contain off-plan ingredients.

Archived