Whole30-ing the best I can

Shelda17

Still going Shelda, that's awesome!  Hopefully you will see more benefits as you keep on.

I adore watermelon as well.  I had to stop buying it as the wedges we get here are always enormous and my husband doesn't like it much (why? how?) so I have to eat it all myself and it just becomes a scoff-fest!

As I've been eating fruit and incorporating it more into my meals, instead of saving it for the end, I've been thinking about my grandfather who always saved a piece of whatever main dish we were having to eat after his dessert. Always. And I realized I don't have any clue why he did that, just that he did. Wonder if my mother knows.

How funny!  He must have had this worked out all by himself ...  I've come to realise that one of the reasons I snack so much is because once I get a sweet taste in my mouth, I just want more and more.  Not finishing meals with something sweet really has helped me so much.  You should ask your mother, would be interesting if she did know!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How funny!  He must have had this worked out all by himself ...  I've come to realise that one of the reasons I snack so much is because once I get a sweet taste in my mouth, I just want more and more.  Not finishing meals with something sweet really has helped me so much.  You should ask your mother, would be interesting if she did know!

I asked, and she said she thought she might have known, but has forgotten. I bet he just didn't like the sweet taste in his mouth at the end. But who knows :)  We have a funny thing in my family, because I often say something is "too sweet," and several relatives say there is no such thing! But there definitely is for me. Icing, for instance. And most pecan pie. A fair number of things, really.

One of the most astonishing things about this Whole30+ for me has been my complete and total lack of interest/cravings for chocolate, Starbuck's Mochas, or really, anything sweet (except fruit, and I'm eating less of that than ever in my life). That mid-afternoon "gotta have it, and gotta have it NOW" is just... gone. This tells me it's a lot more physiological than I would have ever believed before I did this. I used to refer to my sugar addiction, sorta kinda in a joking way, but now I think it's very real on a chemical level.

I had a little slip last night (unintentional), although the basic thing wasn't the wisest choice either. I have a good friend who's also doing a Whole30, and we had both been getting meals from the paleo gym here in town. They're had a little problem, and we're without our meals for a month. She offered to grill up some protein for me: a steak (which was fabulous!), a couple of burgers, and then she asked if I wanted any hot dogs. Well, I had spent a good while at the natural food store looking at hot dogs (which are not a big thing to me, but sounded good). I bought some Applegate beef dogs that are compliant, and somehow I assumed that she had too.

She had Hebrew National hot dogs, which I had never had, and made a big deal that they were all beef. Well... the very first bite I thought, "this has sugar in it!" and when I looked around online, sure enough. She's taking her Whole30 a good deal more casually than I am (that should have clicked with me when she brought a little dark chocolate bar as part of the meal delivery). I ate the hot dog, but I won't do that again.

When I was thinking about it later, I began to wonder if I want the next 60 days to be completely Whole30 compliant, or "just" paleo. I was reading the June group log, and someone there asked another member which she was doing (based on some of the things she'd posted she was eating).  I'm getting a little frustrated with all the foods that have that little bit of dextrose or other sugars in them. My Hain (health food brand here) Sea Salt has dextrose in it, for heaven's sakes! That never ever occurred to me, until someone on the forum mentioned it.  It seems damn near impossible to not get "sugared" a little from time to time. And I found myself craving Sriracha, and every commercial one has sugar. NomNom Paleo has a compliant recipe, but I don't have time or energy to make it.

So I'm wondering if I want to loosen the reins just a little bit, and not worry about these trace amounts of sugar in things that aren't otherwise sweet. I don't think sugar is a really big issue for me (at least not in those quantities). I'm much more concerned about grains and dairy. So I'm asking myself how I want to proceed. Gonna reread ISWF and see if they say much about this. I want to do as much as I can to keep on the path and not get stressed out about things that don't matter as much. I'm such a perfectionist, and I end up scolding myself which doesn't seem productive. I'm doing GREAT if I do say so myself, and at this point I feel like I may keep on eating this way forever, whether or not this clears up my m.s. symptoms. I simply feel better, and somehow it suits me.

I still need to write up what I learned from my first Whole30 (think that could be a really helpful exercise), and then make decisions about what I do next. Right now I'm on day 36, with a mistake or three here and there. But that seems pretty human, and as I titled this log "the best I can," I think I've stuck pretty tight with that.

You ARE doing great! You know what Shelda? This is your journey. You need to what works for you to sustain a long term change in a healthy lifestyle. If you're beating yourself up about trace amounts of sugar, that's not a healthy mindset in my opinion. The mindset is more likely to derail you than the sugar in one hotdog. Do what is best for you long term.

You are absolutely doing great!  And you're taking charge of your health!  

Those of us with chronic medical conditions know what it feels like to be out of control and at the whim of a body that seems to have a mind of its own that works opposite to the way we would like.  Isn't it wonderful to discover that we do have a choice?  That we make decisions that help us to feel better?  Instead of just having to live with what comes at us?

:D

Isn't it wonderful to discover that we do have a choice?  That we make decisions that help us to feel better?  Instead of just having to live with what comes at us?

I think that's a lot of what I'm feeling, "in charge." I feel like I'm doing really good things for my body. Whether or not my symptoms abate, and I really do think that's possible, I'm feeling better right now in all sorts of ways. I woke up really early this morning (like 4am early), made myself a nice breakfast, made it to work, made it to the grocery store, made myself a lovely salad for dinner, and I still have some energy left. Whee!

Shelda, I just had a chance to read through your log.  I am so inspired by your perseverance and positive attitude!  I especially enjoyed the last few posts about how you are feeling differently about your control in your life.  I am on day 18 and had that realization this morning, I am in control and I have a choice as to how I am going to treat my body.  It's very freeing.

You are absolutely right about "getting sugared".  I have been repeatedly shocked at how many things have sugar in them!  No wonder we are all sugar addicts (and don't know it) it's rather appalling!

Cheers to you for making through to the end and for continuing on.  Looking forward to hearing more :)

19 June 2013 (Day 38)

It's hard for me to fathom that this is day #38, and then in another way, it feels so comfortable that I could be surprised I haven't always eaten like this. Strange to have both those feelings going on.

I had cataract surgery today, which I've been a little anxious about, but everything was smooth as silk. Been resting at home all afternoon, but I'm planning to go to work tomorrow.

Made myself quite the feast tonight. Made the chicken thighs from Well Fed (cooked in the oven instead of grilled), and the baked butternut squash with pecans. The squash was a little on the mature side, but the last one I had, and still okay. Roasted mushrooms, a nice salad, and fresh strawberries and blueberries. Now that I'm not eating as much fruit, I've decided that I can afford the organic ones mostly, and these were really, really good. Nice satisfying dinner, and a good bunch of leftovers.

A good day, all in all!

I've been enjoying the chicken thighs. It always feels good to have some nice proteins cooked and ready. I also had some leftover veggies today, including the Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed and some roasted mushrooms. Froze a few portions of the squash for later. Ate all the mushrooms :)

I'm going to make some turkey meatloaf "muffins," sans oatmeal. I thought I might add a handful of chopped nuts, maybe almonds. We'll see how that goes.  (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm). I feel like I'm getting better at planning and shopping. At least it's feeling more natural. I have a long list of things I'd like to make this weekend. Don't know how many I'll actually get done!

Turkey Meatloaf muffins (freeze a bunch of these)

Morning Mix with ground turkey (the grocery had ground turkey on sale)

Cashew Beef Stir Fry (thaw beef)

Almond Butter Cabbage

Monkey Salad (have this for breakfast - I'd forgotten about it, and really liked it)

Okra from clothes make the girl

Sicilian roasted cauliflower

Buttery Lemon Parsley Zucchini Noodles

Coconut Sweet Potato Rounds

Shelda, I thought it was about time that you had completed your W30. Congratulations for a job verbs well done!

I think that your question about strict or not so strict after initial 30 is one that we all ask ourselves. I decided to go 60 or 100. Not sure how it will unfold. I am still eating by template but exploring with. Few complant things like egg yolks that I omitted for the first 50 days. I feel good with the boundaries. We are all so different! :)

Again, big kudos on your 30. You're awesome!

Thanks, Calee! I'm really happy with how things are going.

I've done pretty well cooking this weekend. Had a lovely supper last night:

Two chicken Italian sauages

Sicilian roasted cauliflower : http://www.poorgirlgourmet.com/2013/05/sicilian-style-roasted-cauliflower-with.html
Coconut Sweet Potato Rounds: http://meatified.com/garlic-herb-baked-sweet-potato-rounds/coconut-sweet-potato-rounds-1000px-wm/
Italian Kale: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-kale/

All very nice. I seem to be a little obsessed with finding recipes these days :)

I think it's great that you're finding all these yummies for us. At the end of the day after working, walking, gym etc, I just don't have the mental capacity to find recipes. I'm grateful for you! :)

Shelda, thanks for sharing all these recipes!  Here in week 4, day 24 I am feeling a little "over it"  so it's great to have some fresh ideas!  Loving that you're still going after your 30 days, I am taking a page from your book.  Some things have not been resolved for me so I think I have to take a bit more time.  Hope you are healing well from your cataract surgery, it looks like you are up and around fine :D

Thanks for the lovely comments, calee, Lizzard77, and Susan W! It's great to know that I've been inspiring others. I think this community is just the best! I've been intrigued by local friends who are also doing paleo and/or Whole30s. Several people have brought me food: ham, grilled burgers and steak, and tonight grilled chicken. Yummy! I had purchased a ham, and I passed some of it along to the same friend. Somehow we seem to take care of each other.

Tonight I made an okra recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl (author of Well Fed): http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/11/06/okra-okra-ok-ok/

They were yummy, and I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers with chili tomorrow (as she mentions doing on the blog). I'm still very intrigued by how easy it has been to eat this way. I think all the focus on what I am eating distracts me completely from what I'm not. One of the emails from the Whole30 Daily said that in fact it's easier to change what you're eating in a radical way than to try and make small changes. I wouldn't have thought of this, but I'm finding it to be the case.

Shelda, that's the perfect attitude. Focusing on what we "can" have is like continually finding gratitude around every corner.

I'm glad you have friends that you can trade looking after one another.

28 June 2013 (Day 46)

Seems like it's been kind of a hard week in various ways, but I'm hanging in! I was so very glad tonight that I'd done a ruthless purge of unsuitable food before I started this. I might have caved. That HALT acronym? Hungry? check! Angry? Well, not a big feature, but angry at my m.s. and its limitations, sure. Lonely? Yep. Had a card game scheduled tonight but my friends had to cancel (for perfectly understandable reasons, but still... Tired? Sure. Always tired, seems like.

So I'm sitting on my walker in front of the refrigerator. Gotta pull something together, girlfriend! There can't be much cooking involved, cuz I'm just not up for it. But I have some Applegate roast beast slices, I have fresh organic blueberries, I have some baby spinach that really needs to be used. And hey, here's a little cucumber. So I sauteed the spinach, and put a dollop of coconut butter in it. Yum! Okay, that worked. Crisis averted :)

The blueberries were the first fruit I'd had today. I remain amazed at how little fruit it really takes to satisfy. I tell myself I can have as much as I really want, but find that a little is just fine. This is an ongoing learning experience.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook a bit: I want to get some things ahead. Btw, that Clothes Make the Girl okra stirred into chili or just into plain ground beef was really tasty. Nice texture.

I'm going to make a point of going to bed early. Way too often I mess myself up on Friday or Saturday night by staying up too late, and then the whole weekend gets wobbly.

30 June 2013 (Day 48)

Trying to find some balance in the cooking: cook enough, but not so much that I wear myself out (which is way too easy to do). I made some turkey meatloaf muffins this morning: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm, and also the "Kids Love Cabbage" slaw from Everyday Paleo. I had some red cabbage that needed to be used. The slaw was good, but needed a "little something" else. Some kind of spice, I think, though I haven't decided what yet. Both were more-than-one-meal recipes, so I have some meals for later. I'll freeze some of the muffins.

I had a kinda sick day yesterday, just feeling punk. So I didn't eat after breakfast, and by breakfast today I was really hungry.

Tonight I was craving beef, but didn't have any thawed, and didn't have energy to cook anyway. So I had a burger patty and broccoli out. Filling and it satisfied the craving.

Tonight I really am going to go to bed early. Right after I wrote that on Friday I started reading a book I'd been looking forward to, and stayed up until nearly 1 in the morning. Um... no, wrong, do not pass go, do not collect $200. I was pretty disgusted with myself (which doesn't help, I realize), but I hate it when I lie to myself about what I'm going to do. So tonight I'm going to do better. Really :)

Shelda, it's good that you're learning to be accountable to yourself, like goin to bed when you say you want to. Those are good lessons for all of us. I'm sorry you were feeling punky. I hope tomorrow is better.

• Moderators

Sounds like, all in all, you're taking excellent care of yourself. Loving a new good book so much that it keeps you awake certainly isn't the worst thing in the world! Nomnompaleo has a very tasty red cabbage slaw with lots of carrot and ginger you might want to try next.

Archived