why is stevia not allowed since it does not cause insulin spikes

woodchip

Short answer: You're supposed to be changing your relationship with food. When you add things to real food to make them sweeter, you're circumventing nature.

Where were you thinking you would/should use it?

As Whitjm5 said, W30 is about not only cutting out foods that are bad for us and nourishing ourselves with whole, real foods but also changing our whole relationship with food. Our modern society is obsessed with sweetening things. They artificially enhance the flavour of foods to make us crave them and eat more. Start reading labels and you find sugar or sweeteners everywhere in places you never expected it, smoked salmon for instance, that's my pet peeve, why do you need to add sugar to salmon? W30 aims to put you back in tune with real nourishing food as it should be. If we keep sweetening things throughout our W30 we're defeating this aim and missing out on this benefit.

On top of that the stevia that most people use is actually a highly processed substance, very few use the actual plant leaf in it's original form. As to whether it causes an insulin spike or not, I couldn't really say. I've read studies that claim it doesn't but I've also read studies that claim that all sweeteners can cause an insulin spike; the very taste of something sweet can cause our bodies to release insulin much as Pavlov's dogs salivated just at the sound of the bell. Of course, if there's nothing there for the insulin to deal with, that just screws up our hormones even more.

Honestly, there is a reason behind every rule in the W30, they all work synergistically to give you the best possible resuts and isn't that what we all want?

Woodchip, great question. In my experience, after you have completed a few days on your whole30 without sugar, your preferences start to change and you find that you don't need the sugar. After a whole30 I wanted a cold coffee drink and had a toddy iced coffee (which has low acidity) with coconut milk. I couldn't believe how sweet it tasted with no sugar.

Besides...... Now I think stevia just tastes plain nasty! Lol. It's really amazing discovering the true taste of foods after not having anything artificial or sugar sweetened for a while ( I used to down 4-6 diet cokes a day every day + tons of sweetener in my coffees/oatmeal/crystal lite......)

I can honestly say I have zero desire to ever drink/eat Splenda/soda/etc ever again , and everything else tastes so much better. :)

Coffee really shouldn't be all that bitter. Are you using paper filters?

I make percolated coffee or basket filter coffee. It tastes totally different than drip filter through a paper filter!

• Moderators

Can I put a Stevia leaf in my tea?

No. Adjusting to drinking coffee and tea without a sweetener has been part of the Whole30 from the beginning. Some people find that they like their tea without a sweetener just fine and some decide to find something else to drink. I personally switched to herbal teas like Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange or any peppermint tea.

Your taste buds will reawaken if you remove all sweeteners!  Lately, my organic sweet potatoes have been so sweet tasting that I almost don't want to eat them (almost).  The bell peppers are as good as a handful of chocolate chips for me these days, and that is saying a lot from a girl who ate a bag of chips every 7-10 days pre W30!

It is only for 30 days unless you decide to continue being completely sugar free.  Full fat coconut milk really is good in coffee.  If you like cinnamon, and own a frother or hand held mixer, you can add some cinnamon, too.   Emulsifying is key.

Archived