Going Paleo & doing a Leptin Reset

I did the Whole30 in January, found out I have a nasty intolerance to gluten and I have been experimenting with reintroduction and monitoring how I feel with other foods since then, feeling progressively worse as time has gone on. Rice is my most tolerable grain, but I feel unwell if I eat much grain of any kind, especially every day for a week (even in small amounts). Dairy I always thought I was fine with, now I really don't think so. Nightshades... really unsure, I eat far too many to be able to tell without full elimination. I've tried a few gluten free breads (some are very awful in taste! lol) and while they don't make me feel really ill (well, the ones with soy in them make me feel sick), I can't say any of them make me feel well. Corn I had thought I was okay with, I'm pretty sure now also makes me feel pretty sick. I've always felt much better on low carb diets, but I'm wondering if it was more than sugar control now, as I also ate very few grains and much less low fat dairy (which seems to make me feel sickest). Protein shakes, dairy and low carb products were probably the worst nasties I had on those.

While I felt great on Whole30, I need to do more to control my inflammation. It's huge and it makes trying to manage my weight both confusing and frustrating, as I can't really tell when I'm losing weight, with sudden multiple kilos appearing overnight and getting all puffed up. Whole30 didn't eliminate it, although it was considerably less without grains and processed food. I'm very obese, so I can't afford to muck around with taking too much time on the weight front.

I haven't been tested for Coeliac yet, as the test involves eating the equivalent of four slices of wheat bread daily, for two weeks! I am just not feeling well enough to do that just yet, I'd like to lose 10 kilos before I give it a go as I physically feel really bad right now.

My whole life I've eaten both wheat and nightshades, so starting the Leptin Reset is a little scary (on the nightshade front). Until recently I didn't really know what nightshades were, except potatoes and chilli. I haven't been eating white potatoes for years, but capsicum, chilli, tomatoes and eggplant have been staples of mine for years. It's going to be a big change and I'm sure I'm going to have some hiccups while I learn everything in the nightshade family (and an entirely new way of cooking - without nightshades!). I'm most worried about accidentally eating nightshades, as I've heard some spices are, which are not chilli.

Today I managed to find grassfed beef at the Mulgrave Farmers Market (Otway Prime - http://www.otwayprime.com.au ). I got two bags of nice fatty mince, some tail eye fillet and some GRAIN FREE sausages!!! (yep, no rice, no crapola!) their only fillers are spices and a bit of onion.

The Leptin Reset's purpose is to reset the leptin receptor in my body, which is the part of your body that tells the rest of the body how fat you are already (thereby determining whether the body wants to burn fat, or hoard it for later).

It isn't just about food for the Leptin Reset, I also need to time when I eat the food I eat. It starts with 3 meals a day, but many people find they drop to two, so I will keep that in mind, as I don't want to accidentally eat too little. No snacking is allowed, so I'll need to plan meals properly. The amount of light we expose ourselves to, is also important, so I will likely limit access to the forums to daylight hours only (morning or lunch time on my phone), so I don't have any artificial light at night. This poses a unique problem I have not dealt with before. What activities can one do at home, in the dark? I can't cook, can't read. I think it's having a bath and listening to audio. Any other ideas appreciated!

You're supposed to do a bunch of tests before you start, but I don't want to wait, I'll get them done as soon as I can (except the gluten one) and I'll get another baseline at the end of the gluten test.

It's winter here, so it's dark when I get up and it's dark when I get home, sneaking in some sun in my day will be tricky, but I will work it out somehow.

For anyone who is wondering "what the?" about the leptin, some links:

http://www.jackkruse.com/easy-start-guide/

http://www.jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/

Lots of people aren't leptin resistant, before thinking about starting it, read the details carefully.

This is a bio-hack, don't hack yourself if you work just fine :)

The Leptin Reset is for 4-8 weeks, but some people with metabolic damage take longer. I will not be surprised if I am one of these, as my blood sugar and insulin are all over the place, but I'm not diabetic. Even on Whole30 they didn't stabilise, but my sleep has been crappy since I was about 13 and I've worked shift work and in high stress environments for over 10 years.

The things I need to stick to:

Paleo - no dairy, no grains

Carb limit - no more than 25 carbs per day (not net carbs) - this rule isn't for everyone, but applies to someone my weight

Breakfast Protein - 50-75 grams of protein (not meat, protein).

Encouraged foods: organic eggs, grass fed meat, poultry and fish, coconut oil, palm oil (for me, only if it's not the orangutan killing kind), butter, heavy cream. Personally I will be avoiding the cream for now, if I'm struggling I'll add some in.

Foods to avoid: nut and seed oils - coconut oil preferred over olive oil.

Things which I think will be easy for me:

Exercise - No working out before or after breakfast (when cortisol is at it's highest). Exercise only after 5pm, no exercise is fine.

Calories - no counting!

Snacking - none, ever.

Meals - 3 meals a day, can skip one if you can't eat it (but not breakfast)

Things I expect to be the biggest challenge for me:

Lunch before 12pm

4-5 hours between dinner and bedtime

75 grams of protein for breakfast in 30 minutes

Getting sun in the morning

Avoiding artificial light after dark (I'll switch to my yellow light-cutting glasses as soon as dark hits)

No nightshades

Calculating whole carbs (not done this before and net carbs is very different)

Tips:

Trouble sleeping? Do 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises (i.e. pushups or squats)

My normal work day timings will be:

• Wake 5am
  • Complete eating huge protein breakfast by 5.30am (I'm going to precook it)
  • Lunch at 11am (midway between 5am and 5pm)
  • Dinner at 5pm
  • Into bed at 9pm (8 hours until wake time)

Amounts of protein:

69g of protein in 300g of lean grass fed beef

63g of protein in 300g of John West fresh salmon (Coles)

62g of protein in 300g of raw prawns

Good thing I just got a big umbrella from a golf shop! :D

I've cooked some grass fed eye fillet for my first leptin breakfast tomorrow.

Also made some bacon too, with some extra duck fat as it was oddly lean bacon.

Does anyone have ideas for spices with tumeric? I bought a huge bag of it but have no idea what to do with it.

It's supposed to be good for inflammation.

Some notes to myself:

500g of raw zucchini is 17 carbs

250g of frozen green beans is 13 carbs

250g of raw cauliflower is 13 carbs

50g of raw sweet potato is 10 carbs

100g kale is 10 carbs

100g of brussel sprouts is 9 carbs

100g of rhubarb is 5 carbs

Going without nightshades stinks at first but you get used to it. After an initial period of feeling really pissy and mad at the world.

I put turmeric in soup. People use it in stir fries to get an Indian taste, but I don't love it without the cumin in, say, a stir fry. (Though maybe you arent eliminating seed spices? I have AIP rules in my head. if not--all the curry spices except peppers are avail.) Maybe if you used it with a bunch of ginger? Ginger has been my best friend while I've been on AIP. (Also no nightshades.) I use the nomnom trick of keeping a knob in the freezer and micro planing it into everything.

Doesn't look like you will be eating much sweet potato....... You could use it with the zucchini to make a soup base and add cooked meat or prawns to it. I often have soup with sliced or gound cooked meat for breakfast

I use turmeric in curries... It would go nicely with the beans and cauliflower especially...

I also use it on kale tossed with some oil and baked in the oven.

Good luck for your first day, I will be thinking of you.....

Oh good idea for breakfast Juzbo! I need to work on soups, I need something thick and quick to eat, morning soup would be awesome in this weather, but I need to be able to eat it quickly. I tend to make overly watery soups, which take too long to eat and are a big messy if you're in a hurry. Just something I need to practice I think :) I've got beans, cauliflower and prawns at the moment, and kale if it's still alive.

Thanks for the info on ginger Beets. At this stage I'm not eliminating anything but nightshades, I eat so many of them (chilli addict!), I'll try without them and see how I go (really, I hope they're not a problem for me, not so much because I love them, but I have been eating huge amounts of these for years now, so worried what I could have done to my insides if they're making me ill). I love garlic and ginger and lemongrass. Someone else told me to try tumeric and black pepper on cauliflower. I plan on having more pepper and schezwan pepper while I am chilli free :)

Forgot to mention I found Kombucha at the Mulgrave Market too (Grateful Harvest http://www.gratefulharvest.com.au ). I haven't found it anywhere at all before now. It's quite odd, not what I expected it to taste like. It seems very fizzy and much sweeter than I expected, like apple cider. I'd like to have some with breakfast, but not sure if that's a bad idea for carb count. Anyone know how much sugar it has in it? Is it okay to water it down? I could just take maybe two tablespoons?

Good luck with this Leptin Reset! You have a solid plan in place. I would take it one day at a time so that I wouldn't get overwhelmed. The no evening light would be my biggest challenge.

I let go of nightshades on May 1st. I was eating a lot of bell peppers, capsicum? Daily as my go to crunchy food. It hadn't been as difficult going without them as I feared.

I went Kombucha shopping yesterday. The carb/sugar content varied by brand. I bought the one with 7carbs, 2 sugar per serving. If buying bulk I would ask the makers. I've never bought the bulk at Whole Foods so never asked. They probably wouldn't know. I just tried kombucha last week. I'm not high on tart things or vinegar but the lemon, ginger raspberry that I tried is awesome.

Good luck!

w00t! got up at 5am on the dot, scarfed down my lovely grass fed eye fillet (cooked in ghee on my George Foreman grill - for speed, not fat removal) and two shortcut pieces of bacon (cooked in duck fat on the grill). Had a cup of coffee with a hugo dollop of coconut cream in it. Feel full and ready to face the day :D

I love capsicum raw, cooked, grilled, I even made icecream with it once.

The Kombucha I got has no label, it's from a market and a kinda home made looking affair. I think I'll stay off it the first couple of days and then start with a tablespoon. How many carbs do you reckon are in a tablespoon of apple juice? (worst case)

Ahh, I'll wait for ketosis to kick in, then add a tablespoon.

Feeling energetic this morning, not heavy/sleepy after such a big breakfast.

I have salmon fillets & pumpkin cooked in coconut oil for lunch and dinner.

Realised I will have to do some cooking at night unless I get up even earlier. I did lots of prep but it will all be gone by tomorrow lol

2 g carbs in a tablespoon of apple juice.... I must look for the kombucha, haven't been to the farmers market fo ages.... Worried that it will mess with my stomach though, good to start slow

If you've got a Healthy Life store anywhere near you, try there. That's where I've been getting mine from (at $5.25 a pop, you've been warned ...).

Good luck with your reset praxisproject. Your breakfast today sounded awesome :D

The current bottle I have is huuuuge (maybe a litre or more?), so it'll last me ages. Hopefully can find a new one by then :) I need to remember to "burp" it. DH's eyes bugged out at the burping, he thought they were kidding, until I showed him at home. hehe

SO not hungry, glad I ate my dinner with lunch, would not have been able to gag it down at 5pm.

Even doing that, a surprisingly low number of calories for how much I feel like I've eaten (feels like a huge a mountain! lol). I'm not counting calories, but using MyFitnessPal to count the carbs, so I can see the calorie count.

Limiting artificial light after dark has been a fail so far, been working since I got home. I'll be having a bath in the dark shortly, bought an audio book to listen to.

Energy levels are good, not feeling as sleepy as I was worried I would, I don't normally eat quite this much protein. I had pumpkin for my carbs today, but doing brussel sprouts tomorrow (800g slow roasting right now, need to remember not to eat them all).

Wondering if I'll be in ketosis tomorrow. No more computers for me tonight unless work makes me :) Night folks

The evening light thing is really tough for me too, as evidenced by being on the iPad, TV on in the room, as well as a light to read by. Oy, that is really hard to go dark when the sun goes down.

I was worried my recent foray into non compliant food and too much fruit might have stuffed up my fat adaption. Only had a small breakfast of chicken broth and some leftover meat and veg at 8am and it was 1pm before I thought about food and 2 pm before I got around to eating, phew.

Happy ketosising....

In ketosis today (well, I checked last night and probably won't bother again unless I feel funny - I can usually feel it if I drop out).

I'm listening to Stephen Fry read me a book at night :) it's quite entertaining and makes me sleepy. OMG audiiobooks are expensive, but I guess it's lots of hours of work to read it and edit it all.

Day 2 went well, I had free range pork mince for breakfast and lunch (one with lots of sage, the other with tumeric and cummin), both with slow roasted brussel sprouts. I had coffee with coconut cream with breakfast, forgot to take coconut cream to work so didn't have any for lunch. Not 100% sure I got enough fat as a result, but the pork was fatty and I added some organic butter when I reheated it. Was actually hungry when I got home (didn't happen at all Day 1) so I had some Otway Prime grain free beef sausage which seemed to hit the spot perfectly. Very thirsty, drank lots. Was in ketosis at night before bed.

Day 3 - Salmon fillets for breakfast with slow roasted brussel sprouts. Really struggling to eat it all this morning. Not hungry at all. Hopefully this means progress :D Lunch will be more Otway Prime beef sausage and more sprouts. I made a kinda bulletproof coffee this morning, coffee, coconut cream and coconut oil. Emulsified nicely, looks like a latte :) Tastes yummy.

Friday, not sure what day this is. Abandoning the no nightshade plan, but I will stick to only hot sauces, curry paste, paprika. I'll still avoid eggplant, tomato and capsicum.

Having too much trouble with my sinuses, can't breathe, if I keep this up I'll be back on steroids :(

Chicken with hot sauce and coffee with lots of organic butter. Trying to find a good K2 source, goose liver paste?

On the good side of things, am in desperate need of smaller pants and undies lol not much lighter on the scale though, so won't weigh again for awhile

Friday, not sure what day this is. Abandoning the no nightshade plan, but I will stick to only hot sauces, curry paste, paprika. I'll still avoid eggplant, tomato and capsicum.

Having too much trouble with my sinuses, can't breathe, if I keep this up I'll be back on steroids :(

Chicken with hot sauce and coffee with lots of organic butter. Trying to find a good K2 source, goose liver paste?

On the good side of things, am in desperate need of smaller pants and undies lol not much lighter on the scale though, so won't weigh again for awhile

Isn't it great when your panties get bunched up because they're too BIG! :)

Sorry you're going through a rough patch with your sinuses.

Signs the Leptin Reset is working:

Change in your sweating pattern - check

Energy levels will rise - check

Hunger and cravings will become less and eventually disappear - check I think

When you awaken you will feel refreshed and well rested - check

Men: quicker weight loss

Women: Mood changes (calmer/sleepy), then sleep will improve. Clothes will fit differently and weight loss will occur if you continue the program

only thing is I've woken up a few times in the night.

feeling like a furnace today, but not sick at all now :D yay for chilli!

have only had one meal today:

big breakfast was grassfed beef in coconut oil & red curry paste (whole30 safe)

some fruit salad and Artisana Coconut Butter. Fruit salad had green apple, pear, orange.

yesterday I had the fruit salad above also with rockmelon, little bit of pineapple.

had it with roast pork & crackling, iceberg lettuce, few slices of red capsicum and what I hope was real avocado. Not bad for a food court in a pinch, happy with my choices. Felt like absolute crap yesterday, was going to take steroids today if not better, but feel heaps better since the fruit. And sleep, I've had lots since then.

Not sure what's for dinner tonight, not hungry yet so skipped lunch (normal on the reset).

It's a fine art feeling good on low carb, glad you are managing!

I had a great week pretty much 3 good not too big meals a day no worries. But weekend, feeling hungry! Is it increased exercise plus a lot higher activity level (ie not stuck at a desk)?

Or is it psychological being near an open pantry/fridge and going food shopping?

Or even the timing of exercise? On weekdays before meals, on weekends in the middle...

I have added in pre and post WO snacks where appropriate, but just had some fruit and nuts now because I bought them and its a long time till dinner.....

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Maybe worth trying moving the exercise?

Still burning hot like the sun today, but have a sparkling clean kitchen lol

The big difference for me I think is such a big load of protein in the morning. I've always eaten a minimum size breakfast, this is the complete opposite and so far, I'm pretty sure my body likes it. I wasn't expecting changes so soon, don't want to stop the reset too early so will continue for the rest of next week and then reassess.

You are doing great, I don't think I could manage it. I will consider it though if I don't make progress this whole30. I enjoyed reading in ISWF the bit about the role of leptin. I may have a problem there but at the moment I'm thinking its insulin being triggered by caffeine, or gluten cross reactivity. I have noticed also I seem to get really hungry about half an hour after eating, but then it passes and I am good for 4 hours, not sure what's going on there, possibly fruit or tea but I don't have these every meal.. Might have to research a bit more

I'm having very little fruit and am ketogenic, but I have a LOT of weight to lose and I'm insulin resistant.

Woke up about 3 minutes before my 5am alarm today!!! Yay!

Something sure feels different. Down to two meals a day now, not hungry.

Archived