30 Days of Awesome

shelley417

Hi there, Awesome Whole 30ers! I'd love to jump into the pool with you guys! My name is Stephanie, and I live in Southern California.

I finished my first Whole30 on May 30. It was most certainly a life changer! I'm in for another round starting today. I did eat a paleo-fied banana muffin yesterday. It was ok ... actually made me nervous, even though all ingredients were compliant. It looked way took much like a "food is my drug" dragon to me! I'm looking at my second round of Whole30 as a means to firmly establish the new habits I began in May.

Thanks for inviting the new kids ... I appreciate the support! :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Stephanie, I'm Justine.

Nuts can be a problem for me. I am doing a semi-neutered whole30 LOL

I just read the page in ISWF saying cashews, macadamias and hazelnuts are the best, so maybe I'll stick to them. Though that's because they are highest in mufa and lowest in omega6's I believe and my problems might be from the fodmaps, just checked and macadamias and cashews are also best choice from a fodmaps perspective too but not hazelnuts. Seeds are okay fodmap wise but bad omega 6 wise... Gee it's hard sometimes trying to find the balance /way forward.... But the secret to healed skin is in there somewhere.....

Justine ... that neutered thing = hilarious! Seriously, funny...

Okey doke ... so, this time I ordered the Daily Whole30 emails. The information is good, and I think it is a worthwhile investment. I like to access it in this format; I don't have to search the book and I can pull these up on my phone to show someone. PLUS ... the video at the end of day one was AWESOME!

I still have to exercise today; I may start using the daily workout from bodeefit. It looks doable, and I find this will fit into my ever-changing schedule! Food wise, things are going well. Working on that meal template ... so far, so good!

I hope everyone is having a good Sunday :D

Hello centurions.

I started my 2nd whole 30 in may, but I am starting over today because of the streets in my flavored natural calms.

It wasn't too hard, even after day 18, because I figured I'd end up doing a whole 45, 60 or 90 anyway. It just gives me a fresh start on the whole 30 daily emails again, and a chance to get even better results.

I Love reading what others are doing, and getting ideas!

Hello All, Happy Day 2 for me!

Funky day for me yesterday. Wildly out of sorts. I think it's just getting back to square one here, mind shift etc.

Yesterday I made procuitto wrapped egg muffins. Sooo good.

Today I made Paleo chicken enchilada soup - DIVINELY YUMMY and homedmade almond milk!! woot woot. It's a little thin but for a first try, I'm really happy.

I worked out lower body at the gym yesterday and walked the dog 2 miles.

Today I walked the dog 2 miles and met my girlfriend at the gym and did water aerobics with her (she's an instructor) it was fun!

I had my workout partner take pictures of me in my swim suit yesterday and it was very upsetting for me. I had a moment with myself and then jotted down the facts...

1. I'm a size 12 not a size 16 anymore.

2. I feel and look SO much better.

3. This is not a race. This is a journey and I am walking it (thankfully with all of you).

4. I am healthier & happier every day I choose to make my health a priority.

Sometimes you have to have your moments on the pitty pot but hopefully not fo long.

Welcome to the new girls! Glad to have you here.

MaryAnn, did you get your foster? How's she doing? You're an angel for extending your heart & your home.

Hoping everyone is having a good day 2.

Hugs,

Linda

I'm on to Monday already! Do try the daily exercise Stephanie, I think it really helps! I'm relying on daily walks to increase my fat burning so I lose rather than gain this time around.

Good job christartist, glad you can join us! This is my first counting day of my 30 although I have been compliant for a week now. 30 sounds better than 37 LOL.

This is day 14 for me. I think the weather had something to do with it (cool but sunny) but I had an AWESOME weekend with loads of energy. I cleaned, organized, did some stuff with friends, tackled a new project at home, just had an all around good weekend. Some weekends I don't have the energy to do any one of those things, let alone all of them. Total score! I contribute a lot of this to the Whole-whatever I'm on, but also some of it to the supplements from my doc. I'm seeing signs that my gut is improving, so that's a plus.

And... eh hem, I fit into some jeans that I last wore at least 4 years ago with no muffin top! :) I'm seeing some welcome changes in my body and I'm looking forward to fitting into more and more of my old wardrobe. Woot woot!

I checked in with my friend that's doing this whole-whatever with me this weekend. (I'm trying to get her to pop in here!) She's a former WW believer and is already seeing some positive changes, so that's cool! We both agreed to start out each day this week with some fat to see how it helps us through the day. I'm excited to give our experiment a shot!

Did a big cook-up today and have some other things marinating in the fridge. I should be set for the week!

Hi Everyone!

So happy to be meeting all of you. I too have to say that daily movement just makes everything better for me. I try to have social time for walks or hikes with friends 5-6x a week. I'd much rather walk and talk than sit around on my tush.

Linda, it sounds like you've made fantastic progress. I'm glad to see affirming that!

It's great to see some old friends here!

Day 33 for me. I find the temp,ate to be so comforting. I just need to pick a protein, veggie and fruit. What could be simpler? I don't really add fat except on a salad. I think I get plenty from fatty meat, EVOO that I cook in, and avocado. I find myself becoming less and less interested in what I eat. That said, this can easily turn to boredom. I want to grow up to be a cook like percypat or Nadia or Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo.

I went for a long walk this morning then came home to do some weekly cooking.

Daily Bites: AIP

1. chicken wings, apple, baby carrots, jasmine green tea

2. Chicken wings, sautéed cabbage, watermelon

3. GF ground beef over a green salad, sweet potato

This is my first beef in 33 days. I hope I don't react to it. I'm going to test it for a few days.

Hi, all! Guess I'm figuring out why I didn't lose anything all of May. Yesterday was Day 1. I got home, fed the dogs and started dinner. There was the bag of pistachios, right there on the counter. I had to stop myself from reaching for it and snacking on them while I cooked. I wonder how many times I've mindlessly done so recently? And 'tasting'. I kept wanting to pop something into my mouth.

Linda, I pick up Sadie tomorrow if all goes well. She spent the weekend at the vet in case she picked up anything at the shelter that she could transmit to my other dogs. The vet did x-rays, and in addition to the mammary tumors, the cancer is also in her chest cavity and possibly her lung. Prognosis not good, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. The vet wants to remove the biggest tumors, because they interfere with her quality of life. I will know more tomorrow. How is Tess?

Hi All! Thanks for the exer-encouragement! I'm grateful for the advice; it sure does help to have support, doesn't it?  :)

DAY 2:

Food-wise, things went well. I felt better about how I put my meals together. Tonight, after dinner, I made a couple of the "mocktails" that I found on the Whole9 Blog. My husband and I enjoyed "Blueberry Bliss", and her sister, "Cherry Lime-ness" (I made that one up myself!) It was a nice little refresher; it is hot here and a cool drink was a good way to end the evening. We went on a bike ride, too! YAY! Two days of purposeful exercise. 

I'm still feeling really good. My moods are so stable and I seem to be craving free. I don't feel threatened by chocolate, pizza or anything of that sort. I did buy raisins today. I have seen some recipes for salad that use them as a topping. I think maybe it was a bad idea. i found myself ready to open the container and eat a "few" after we got home from biking. HA! I stopped myself because i'm not sure that I'm ready for that level of sweetness. "Natures Candy" and I have gone round in the past, and I think I'll wait a bit before I try to open myself up to that again! My little Sugar Dragon needs to stay asleep until I get more battle ready!  :ph34r:

I hope everyone had a good day! 

Hi, all! Guess I'm figuring out why I didn't lose anything all of May. There was the bag of pistachios, right there on the counter. I had to stop myself from reaching for it and snacking on them while I cooked. I wonder how many times I've mindlessly done so recently? And 'tasting'. I kept wanting to pop something into my mouth.

Yeah, sure that's been my problem too. I know we are not supposed to think about calories but as I was unpacking macadamias I saw that 25g was 200 cal! OMG. I can eat a large serve of meat and veg for that...... Glad to say my motivation to stay away from nuts and dried fruits except as condiments has just got stronger!

Day one (again). Will end on July 1. My husband has 5 kids ( 3 his and 2 of his sisters that he raised after she passed away very young). His nephew got married last night. He made the ceremony but not the party. His family never includes me-- in fact they make me feel,like a stranger. My kids were there (thankfully) but they were basically ignored as well. I had a glass of wine. Ughhhhhhh!!! Today I feel like crap. Good to remember how bad wine makes me feel. It's funny how wine and sugar really the only non compliant things that make me feel really bad.

So, I'm back. Missed you. Welcome to the newbies. Glad you are here.

oh my God so happy to be here today! I  feel like I just dragged myself over the finish line...I had a pretty horrible (food) day yesterday, really the first since our whole100 ended. I'm pretty sure part of it was psychological (well...I AM starting a whole30 tomorrow) and I'm not that upset about it, just glad about my awareness. I lay in bed this morning thinking about the difference between being able to move on and restart vs continuously having to restart every few days and, for me, it's going to be the ability to put a day like that behind me, not hate myself, and just move on. and believe in myself and believe that it's possible.

yesterday I had my "2nd Annual Welcome to Summer" party yesterday. I paid for a bounce house and a cotton candy machine for the kids. it was a pot luck. as usual the only things people brought were chips and cakes. sigh. and I didn't plan. I didn't want to spend any more money. luckily a friend stopped by whole foods and brought me some chicken and brought a plate of raw veggies, I had that and two hot dogs (sans bun) and some pork ribs later, but none of those things would've been compliant. and I was still super hungry. can you see where this is going? cotton candy? cakes? well, I did have some cotton candy, and after getting home there was still a piece of cake from my husband's birthday. I'm tired and hung over feeling today, but just so happy to be starting another strict 30 days.

other bad point? I was out all day yesterday and didn't cook anything. I have a chicken and some gravy from the other day, I know I can make it through today compliant, but I will need to get some stuff done tomorrow (I work today)

WELCOME to people joining us! you may find we journal more about feelings and relationships than food, but post whatever you want here!

Maryann - so happy you are here to give those animals a home and some dignity as they pass through this life. you are an angel.

Justine - I know. I stopped looking too. I eat macadamia nuts. a lot.

Karen - YAY for the jeans. I wore SHORTS yesterday. outside. I haven't worn shorts in years. I felt self conscious about my whity white legs and worried about any cellulite going on in the back, but I did it! (and they were a size I haven't worn in probably 14 or 15 years...)

Linda - journey, not race. thanks. I needed that this morning! (btw we saw an old neighbor yesterday who had moved away. they were heavy heavy drinkers and had a young daughter, we were all worried when they left and moved over to Santa Cruz. when I saw them they told me they had been sober 7 months. SO great and so happy for them!)

Hey ho!

Good day so far for me!

Breakfast - roasted butternut squash, blueberries & coconut milk.  yummmm.

Lunch - Leftover steak salad and chicken enchilada soup

Dinner - BLT salad with avacado

Snacks - sunflower seeds.  I have a addiction developing here.  ugh.

I have not felt hungry but have realized that I am unconsiously eating now that I am consiously eating.  Does that make sense?

Walked my girl Tessa about 2.5 miles today.

Red letter day for us.  Tessa tried to engage the neighbors dog in play today!  I cried.  I must have looked like a lunatic!  I was yelling and pointing "Look at her, she's playing!!"  LOL!

I think she's feeling better and I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

How's your girl doing MaryAnn?  Did you get her?

Off to a comedy show tonight.  I really wanted to be with friends and laugh.

Feeling content.  Happy.

Hugs,

Linda

Sounds like a proud mama, Linda!  

Had a variation of beef stir fry for both breakfast and lunch.  For dinner, I made a modified form of this chicken and it was delish (no sugar, no sesame oil, coconut aminos instead of soy)!  I marinated it for 24 hours and threw it on the grill.  It was tender with a slight scallion flavor.  Super yummy and way easy!!  

Also grilled some sunchokes.  Those were a suggestion from my doc as they're high in inulin, which is supposed to be a good prebiotic.  She warned that when she made them, she and her husband found out how incredibly high in fiber they are, so I'm waiting for the eh hem... side effects.  

Day 15 here and I feel like I'm in my stride.  I'm not second-guessing anything, not tempted at all by the huge bowl of chocolate in the training room that I'll be in all week, and I have energy to get through the day.  The only concern is that I'm not falling asleep at night - I'm wide awake when I crawl into bed, so I don't get enough sleep and I wake up tired and grumpy.   :(  Going to have to work on that.  I think it's due to it being light later on at night, but I'll see what I can do.  

Hooray, Tessa!

Sadie came home with me until her surgery Wed. morning.  A couple of her mammary tumors are large enough to make her uncomfortable, so we will try to improve her quality of life.  She is very sweet.  I want to cry every time I look at her.  She's an otherwise healthy dog in good shape.  If her family had taken her to the vet when they first noticed the tumors, things might be quite different.  The cancer will take her, but her real cause of death will be neglect.

post-1853-0-86304600-1370307278_thumb.jp

she's beautiful Maryann!

thankful to be at the end of day one...and one of my co workers is so amped on doing a whole30 - I forgot to email her all the info and when I saw her today she was so excited she told me she ate extra careful this morning since she knew I was starting - but had a shake with almond milk and protein powder. I'm so happy she wants to do this I think she's going to bush the book tonight. I would love to have another partner at my work!!!

day two will be full of cooking...I had chicken and gravy twice today

The fartichokes have been a bother all day yet...  You know when you blow really big bubbles in a milkshake and they pop really loud and slow?  Yeah, that's the noise that's been coming out of my tummy ALL day.  Doesn't help that I was in a quiet room all day in training.  So embarrassing.  

My friend came over to do a cook-up.  She and her husband are in the process of remodeling their kitchen so it's a bit tricky for her at the moment.  But, she's managing and seeing results already and feeling great.  :)

Archived