30 Days of Awesome

shelley417

I had a dream run the first week then kept wanting to snack over the weekend which I was disappointed with as its way too early for an extinction burst and I didn't think I was so psychologically fragile as to be affected by a long weekend.... Anyway turns out it was hormones, that TOM a little bit early and since I have had 5 week cycles the last few months I wasn't really thinking about it being due... So I over ate a bit but not too much considering... I think I mainly just felt a bit antsy and unsettled and extra hungry!

I'm not counting days, just thinking about getting through to the end of the month

Keep up the good work all

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bloat is almost all gone.  Between yesterday morning and this morning, I'm down 3.5 pounds.  I spent a good amount of time in the restroom yesterday going #1, including 3 times in the middle of the night.  All that weight in water.  I've heard each liter of water is approximately 2 pounds, so I expelled about 1.5 liters in a day.  My body works in weird ways...  

Good news is that I ovulated on time this go round!  Typically it's delayed by weeks during a whole30.  I think the additional carbs are helping.  :)

Hope everyone else is well!

holy god this house needs to be decontaminated. the baby is still sick, at least her fever is down. it was up to 102-103 the past two days, I think it's about 100.5 today. she was up in the middle of the night and I gave her meds, so it might go back up today, I'll just have to watch it. she has spent the past 3 nights waking up constantly so no one has gotten any sleep. I am completely exhausted. I am scheduled to work today and will call in sick. try to take an early nap with her. and try to get to work out. this means I don't work again until next Thursday and I hate using sick time so I will most likely pick up a shift in between there.

I had a serious off road dream last night. haven't had one yet this whole30. I was eating frosting and everything. sigh.

with the sickness in the house I haven't made the best choices but I have stayed compliant, which is all I can do at this point. I can't cook anything - she won't get off me. I did make a run to WF yesterday and picked up some of my favorite buffalo wings. compliant. and some green beans. I steamed some beets and had that for dinner last night. I have the makings of some cauliflower rice. my big struggle right now is figuring out what I'm going to make for a protein. might be time for another chicken with gravy. love that stuff. better go pull my chicken out of the freezer right now! oops!

daughter has gymnastics tonight from 5:15-8:45. it's going to be another long night. husband just came off two night shifts and goes back for another tomorrow night, then he has some time off (4 days). I am still fighting my cold. ugh.

Yeah Maryann!  No wiggle butt dance.  That's worthy of a big fist pump.

Jess, I feel for you.  I hope you are able to catch up with yourself and get some rest.

Justine, ahh hormones.  They are just SO much fun aren't they?  LOL!  So glad to hear that you are getting some regulation though.

Karen congrats on the big drop, what changed for you?

Physibeth, where do you live in Seattle?  I was born and raised there.

So, here's what's going on with me.  Not very good or really good depending on how you look at it I guess.  sigh.

I've mentioned that I've had this "intestinal" thing going on for about 10 days now.  I thought it was stress.  Then on Wednesday I got home and just had felt off all day.  Horrible vomiting ensued followed by even worse back pain and then I realized that what I was experiencing was not a virus it was a divurticulitis flare up.  A really bad one.  I cancelled work yesterday and was literally in bed flat on my back all day.  No food, I couldn't even keep water down.  Big panic because this was the worst of the 3 episodes I'd had so far.

Luckily I had a refill for my heavy duty antibiotics.  I officially started them today.  It didn't make sense to even try yesterday with my punky stomach.

So I'm eating applesauce, butternut squash & coconut milk and recharge (fruit juice sweetened gatorade type drink).  SO no more nuts ever.  I keep trying to kid myself into thinking I'm fine, cured, better but it is not so and I can't risk ending up in the hospital.

I'm a little freaked out because my doctor told me this morning that I should consult a surgeon.

We agreed that I would give the antibiotics a few days and if it's not better I go see her and possibly the surgeon.

This is just another layer of the onion.  A reminder that you can't do all that damage for all those years to your poor body without some consequences.

I honestly don't look at this as punishment other than self induced.

I guess it's time to move into a space where I'm loving myself enough to accept the facts and truly leave behind that which does not serve me.  In this case today, it would be nuts & denial.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day and feeling grateful that I can come here and talk about this and that you get it.

Hugs,

Linda

Jess, I won't complain about my last few days, a breeze compared to yours, on the up I hope.

Linda, so horrible for you. But I am going to tell you off! You did not cause the condition no matter how poor your choices might have been. Many people make poor choices every day of their life and never suffer one bit. You are doing the best you can to cope with the situation you find yourself in, and it is a horrid one.

I lost my gall bladder at 23 and if I knew then what I know now I reckon I could have saved it! But for what ever reason I was born with gall bladder problems and the rest is just life. Manage as best as you can, and if you are one of the dedicated people trying to be as healthy as you can with the limitations you have then hold your head up high!

End lecture LOL

Linda and Jess - I hope you're both feeling better, and soon.  

Jess - sounds like it was a good idea to stay home from work.  I hope it gave you some time to recover from the week.

Linda - I, too, know what it feels like to ingest something you know will provide an awful reaction.  But, sometimes we need the reminder so we're more resolved in the future not to.  We can't all be perfect, and I'm hopeful you'll be able to turn this around so you don't need to talk to the surgeon.  I'm glad you can share with us about this.  

Re: the weight loss - it's only the result of water weight gain due to eating something that my body didn't like.  After making every effort to eliminate any other contamination, my body decided it didn't need to hold onto the excess water.  I felt like more passed through today.  It's a good feeling after such an awful feeling.

I got my first veg CSA today!  There's more than I expected, but I'll do my best.  

And, I talked to my meat CSA.  They've been sending me stuff every month that has cane sugar in it - things like brats, bacon, etc.  If I were just doing a whole30, I'd keep them in my freezer until I was done.  But, since I tested positive to a reaction to cane sugar, I'm never going to eat them.  I appealed to them today regarding this and they agreed to exclude cane sugar items from my box!  Woo hoo!  The stuff that I still have in the freezer will be used when company is over.  Phew.

Feeling pretty good today.  Have felt a bit scatterbrained the past week, but I think that has more to do with sleep than anything.  I don't feel as sluggish and tired as I did during my last Wholewhatever.  I'll take it!  I think technically I'm rounding out week 4, but in reality, I have several more months of this to heal my gut.  

Karen - so happy your CSA worked with you! we don't have a local meat CSA (I don't think - note to self - check into that)

we are doing fine here. both girls are on antibiotics, the baby has an ear infection, the older one has a sinus infection. the baby FINALLY slept last night, I felt amazing this morning! she is on her second nap of the day right now and I am hoping she is finally on the mend. her fever is down (more like 99 without meds) but she is still not really acting herself.

my food hasn't been great. I didn't make any meat the past couple days and that's the problem. I have a chicken in the crockpot right now and will make it with the gravy so I will have some good eats for at least a couple days. maybe I'll make some meatballs, too...or something else. I still have some beets and made some cauliflower rice yesterday. pulled my thai curry out of the freezer, too, so I have that.

can't believe I'm almost 1/2 way through...seems STRANGE. there have been times of "OH I should just quit, this is fine, I'm OK" but I am so happy to be here with you guys. phew.

I am so ashamed of my lunch today. a lara bar and some macadamia nuts and a banana. know what's missing? ANYTHING NUTRITIONAL. seriously. no meat, no veg. I need to get up off my arse at this moment and go eat something with nutritional value. I am going to CF at 4 and don't want to pass out. we do birthday WOD's on people's birthdays, one of the members turns 30 today and I know she loves sit ups, double unders, and rope climbs. so I will be doing at least those things. and at least 30 double unders and sit ups. (it always correlates with their age). I much preferred when one of the members turned 23. but they will hate me on my birthday when I turn 40! HA!

I am struggling a bit... Also keep thinking why can't I have some chocolate again? Or wine? Sugar is calling my name again and I am not sure why.... Although its probably because I started drinking cocoa and eating some nuts which seems to mess me up like coffee does. Sleeping well but busy and rained all week so didnt get any lunchtime walks in or daylight (mid winter here). But my meals have been well balanced in the main and meeting the template so I just need to get back in the rhythm again.

Hi, all!  Been pretty quiet around here lately.  I am still hungry.   All.  The.  Time.   I'm eating to the template and then some.  Having a giant salad in addition to my lunch of pot roast and veggies, starving 2 hours later.  And I have never had a sugar dragon, I prefer salty, spicy, and/or savory, until now.  Last night for dinner, all I wanted was...a Lara bar.  Of course, I didn't give in, but I wanted to. 

Tonight, customers of mine picked up their cockatoo that I was boarding and tipped me with an 8 oz bottle of maple syrup.  Why couldn't they give me cash like every other time?  And I keep wondering how the coconut manna I have would taste with the watermelon chunks.

Other than that, things are fine.  One of my foster dogs got adopted yesterday, and Sadie gets her stitches out on Wednesday.

Good Morning All and Happy Fathers Day to any men reading this post!

It has been quiet and although I've been reading along, I have been so ill since Tuesday that I haven't had the energy to do more than walk from the bed to the bathroom.

Justine thank you for the little "talking to" you had with me.  It was greatly appreciated and needed.

Turns out that it was not a divurticulitis flare up.  It was the intestinal flu (they think).  It got so bad and I got so dehydrated by Friday that I had to shut everything down at work or get to an urgent care.

I gotta tell you, they were kind but so incredibly impersonal to the point of rudeness.  When they asked about allergies and I shared that I had an extreme grain allergy (diagnosed) and a hyper-sensitivity to sugar, the doctor started questioning me about where I had been diagnosed, was it by a gastro doc, etc. etc?  OMG, I was ready to haul off and smack her.  Thank God Dan was there.  He was a rock and interjected when I would have gone postal on her analytical self!

Some people just don't get it and that's ok, the important bit here is that I DO!!

So, I was prescribed anti-nausea medication that have turned out to be a godsend.  I ate a little lobster salad yesterday (compliant), smoked trout, sweet potato chips (compliant ingredients) and chicken broth.  Fish seems to be the only protein that's marginally attractive.

I want to interject here that the chips are not what I would normally choose on a whole 30 but I was desperate for something starchy to stay in my stomach and thankfully it did.

I am laying low again today and have a WF chicken that Dan brought over yesterday that I am going to try to nosh on a little.

The upside of all of this is that the hideous bloating I was experiencing is gone and my belly has shrunk to it's normal size.  Not how I would choose it but grateful that my clothes are fitting again.

Wishing you all a lovely day!

Linda

hi all. sounds like we have all been through the ringer lately, huh?

Maryann - glad you didn't give in to your lara bar craving. I haven't been so lucky...I know they are not great for me and to be used only in emergency, but I will admit I have taken "emergency" pretty liberally lately.

Linda - sorry you had such a nasty experience at urgent care. I work in the ER and know before changing the way I eat I would roll my eyes. a lot. for no reason. (not specifically about food intolerance, actually I would probably NOT roll my eyes about that...) but I have found I am SO much more patient and respectful after changing my food. one more way how what we put into our bodies affects all aspects of our lives!

if I was going to go off this past week would've been the time for me. I am so stressed and overwhelmed with everything going on, I don't want to eat compliant, I want to eat some chocolate, I want a big salad at a restaurant without worrying about the dressing. you get the idea. my baby is STILL sick. we went to the ER yesterday because she was so lethargic on Friday and again in the morning on Saturday. they ran all their test, blood work, urine analysis (which they get with a catheter in this age), chest x-ray, IV fluids. it was great. I went by myself with her because, realistically, my husband is not helpful at all. instead of caring for the baby I would've been trying to reassure him. so in a sense it could've been worse. her ear infection she had been diagnosed with a couple days before seemed to be on the mend. all her tests came back normal (it didn't look like a bacterial infection, more viral - chest xray and one blood test pretty much confirmed this) so we went home last night. she slept pretty much all day yesterday and all night last night, waking up every couple hours. I needed to go back today for a re-check and she has been more peppy, even played with her sister this morning. the doctor today said that she now has a DOUBLE ear infection. sigh. so I am having to change her antibiotic and start all over again. her temperature is sill hovering around 100 after all meds (Tylenol and Motrin) so it's basically just still a shit storm here. throw in the fact that I forgot father's day and my husband started a fight with me because our bedroom is a mess and you can imagine "fuck you" was the first thing out of my mouth back to him. oh happy day.

ANYWAYS, I have stayed compliant as far as what I've put in my mouth. I have NOT stayed compliant in that I haven't been adhering to the template as I should. I ordered pickles on my burger last night (my dad went to pick one up for me) and for some reason they didn't put them on there...serendipity? I don't know. so I didn't ruin my whole30 over pickles.

I have my chicken and gravy that I made the other day in the fridge with beets and Asian rice. I don't want ANY of it. I want coffee and kombucha. and chocolate. and lara bars. and no decent food. but I keep telling myself that when I make it through this illness I will be able to handle anything...right?! at least I got some sleep last night - went to bed at 9:30 and the baby slept pretty much until 7:30 this morning. she's napping now.

there you go - sorry for dumping! :)

Wow, sounds like you guys are having a hard time getting over the hump!  But, you'll get there.  And sooner than you think.  Remember - you did this for 100 days before, 30 days is nothing!

I almost hate to share that I'm doing incredibly well.  I feel like I have energy that I haven't had in years.  Literally.  I got SO much done this weekend, and it's stuff that I've been putting off for years.  It's all grunt work around the house, but it's long overdue.  I almost started crying this morning when I realized how far I got without wanting to stop.  Big, big milestone for me.  When my house is in order, I feel like I'm in control of my life and my home, so big weekend for me!  (I grew up in an unfinished and dirty/unorganized house due to my dad's insistence on building it without any help, so I tend to lean in the other direction!)  Even went out this weekend to make some big purchases this weekend - a swanky new sofa and new carpet in my bedroom.  

To top it off, I spent some time down by our pool this afternoon and my swimsuit actually fit AND my thunder-thighs have little noticeable cellulite.  I tell you, everyone on my dad's side of the family was born with lumpy thighs, so this is quite an improvement!  Still couldn't bare to look at my neighbors in their skimpy little two pieces, but it's progress...

Have some homemade pickles in the fridge, some meat thawing, and some veg prepped for a friend and her daughter for dinner.  

Day 18.  Still hungry, though not as bad.  Still having to eat massive quantities to feel full.  Last night I had 3 hot dogs, a healthy portion of sauerkraut, about 1/3 lb of green beans, and 2 very small sweet potatoes with coconut oil.  First time I still felt comfortably satisfied a couple of hours later, almost since the beginning of the month.

This has never happened to me before eating this way.  On the SAD it happened all the time, but I believe that was my body's attempt to level out insulin spikes.  I can't find a reason for this hunger.  I have upped my protein and fat consumption a bit, and I've re-examined every single item I consume to make sure nothing non-compliant has snuck in.

And I'm once again losing weight.  I stalled in the month of May, probably from all the unconscious snacking, but suddenly all my pants are too big.  I have to go shopping, as I only have one pair left that will stay up without help.  Wonder when I'll find time for that?

Gotta go.  Animals to feed and a dog to get to the groomer.

I am hanging on here. remaining compliant although I was not hungry today and ended up eating breakfast and finally again right now around 6pm, CF workout in the middle there. pulled some chicken out of the freezer for dinner and am off to my parent's house to celebrate my daughter making it onto team in gymnastics...they will be ordering pizza...I will be eating my food :)

I am hanging on here. remaining compliant although I was not hungry today and ended up eating breakfast and finally again right now around 6pm, CF workout in the middle there. pulled some chicken out of the freezer for dinner and am off to my parent's house to celebrate my daughter making it onto team in gymnastics...they will be ordering pizza...I will be eating my food :)

Great news!

I remember going through a phase during our whole100 where everyone was sick of cooking and eating what they were making and wanting to just skip it all. that's where I am right now. I'm so grateful I've done this before because I KNOW I will get through it. but it's shit right now.

Finally not wanting to eat everything in sight.  I reread the timeline and think the sudden desire for sugar was part of the weird cravings stage.  Sugar has never been an issue for me.  I don't even like fruit most of the time because it's sweet.

All my clothes are too big and I don't have time to shop.  I had to run to WalMart the other night for something else, and figured I'd grab a cheap pair of capris just so I'm not hitching up my pants every five minutes.  Of course the racks were full of sizes 4-8 and 14-18, but nothing in between.  Literally.  What's up with that?

grabbed a. burger at in &out burgers tonight on my way home from a hellaciously busy day and got about 1/2 way through before I noticed they put their "sauce" on it. aye. glad it's not my first whole30, I think I would've died. just keep marching my friend.

working all weekend and need to cook something before I head in tomorrow. just some ground beef with cabbage but it'll keep me happy through the next couple days.

Had a few days where I didn't eat a whole lot, though, so I think those caught up to me.  I moved all the stuff that I inherited from my Grandma to my house, and on moving day, I had the equivalent of 1.5 meals.  I've had low energy since.  Need to get back on schedule.  Coupled with family in town for a few days with very active schedules, I'm exhausted.  

After the move, we managed to cook most of the meals at my house so that helped.  And the family loved the food!  But we ate out twice and I think both times, something snuck in despite careful instructions.  I, too, ended up with a special sauce on my burger after asking for it on the side, and since it was as dark as the burger, I didn't notice until I was several bites in and it was too late.  :(  I hate that eating out is so hard.

Went to the farmer's market today and got some veg to tide me over for the next few days.  And I think I see a nap in my future!

Hope everyone is well!

K

Good Morning!

Day 24 for me!  I gotta admit how much easier this one was for me.  Minus the intestinal bug part but that had it's benefits too.

Turns out the intestinal part may have come from Tessa.  Vet says she has hook worm and as I have come in contact with her poop it may have been transferred to me...ewwww!

Even though I took the horse pill antibiotics and they made me sicker it appears as if it also wiped out whatever malady I was having.  Phew!!

Dan and I went away for the weekend and I was very much at the mercy of friends and a B & B for my food.  I was very nervous but was so pleasantly surprised that my girlfriend grilled chicken sans the sauce and salad sans beans & cheese and it was delish!  Much to my delight the owner of the B & B we stayed at took great pains to make a Linda friendly breakfast, which she did beautifully!

So even though we were away, I was completely compliant!  Woot, woot.

We stopped at the outlet mall on the way home yesterday to buy Dan jeans at the Gap and I ended up buying 2 pairs of size 10 pants that fit me perfectly and 3 short sleeved size M henley tops that were also cute as the dickens.

So we'll see how it goes with the measuring portion of this whole 30 but I can confirm I have dropped a size!

That was one of my goals.  I had to laugh this morning when I looked at my old undies on me hanging so low I looked like I was carrying a load in my pants!  LOL!  They will be exiting my drawers today.

Overall I am very pleased with where I am and how I'm feeling.

Life is good.

How are all of you?

Hugs,

Linda

Linda,

High 5 on the smaller pants!  And fingers crossed your issues were due to hookworm...  Although not ideal, it's better than diverticulitis!  

This weekend caught up with me - not enough rest, fluids, food, and I skipped a few doses of meds/supplements.  I was dragging today.  Have that heavy feeling behind my eyes.  Hope it'll improve within a few days.  Not really motivated to cook in this heat/humidity.

Cleaned out my closet this weekend, though, and was shocked at the number of small size 12s fit perfectly.  I've been out of the 14s for a few months now, but not all size 12s fit.  Even had a size 10 or two sneak in there (though most are still pretty tight).  I'll take it!

How's everyone else doing?

Woo hoo!  Me too, ladies.  I complained a few days ago how my pants were falling off me.  I finally went shopping and got a comfortable pair of 12s, and a pair of 10s for 'incentive'.  Yesterday, I woke up a Size 10!  Sort of skipped the whole size 12 thing.  Now I can't wait to get on the scale, but I'm betting the weight loss won't be that drastic.  I think it's more composition.

Hey, now that I don't have rice in my house, how do I keep my salt from clumping?

Woo Hoo Karen & Maryann!  That's awesome!

Sesame seeds work in salt too.

Been making HUGE salads for lunch this week and not really wanting much dinner.  I'm not pushing things, just listening to my body.  I also started diotomasius earth this morning to rid my body of the hook worms, if I do indeed have those buggers in my body.  Gross!

Tessa is doing really good too so I guess her meds finally kicked in.

Karen, I totally get your lack of interest in cooking.  My cupboards are bare and I'm working really long hours so when the day is done I am very lackluster about cooking for myself.  meh.

Jess, how are you doing?  It's been mighty quiet around here!

Day 26 for me today.  Just a few days to go. 

Maryann, I too am excited to weigh and measure!  This has been a significant 30 days for me.  I let go of a lot of fear and have been able to accept all these wonderful changes in my life and move forward in a positive way.

I am loving size 10 but my goal is size 8.  I hope to keep the momentum and motivation going post whole30!

It just keeps getting better and so do I!!

Have a terrific day!

Linda

Archived