hey!

I was wondering: I'm in Day 19 and doing really good and loving it. For weeks before starting I had annoying tummy issues with bloating, stomach ache and stuff after almost anything I ate. I am much better on the diet. The first week was perfect, the second slightly worse, but I'm assuming it's all the cleaning process. My question is: I started adding small amounts of balsamic vinegar with natural sulfites to salads and I think it caused the return of my problems, bloating especially. Is it possible that this means a sulfite intolerance? Is that a common symptom? Or is it contingent maybe? I don't seem to have other symptoms, except itchy rash but I think it started once I started using tide so my plan is to get rid of that and see if it helps with rash. But is this enough evidence to assume sulfite intolerance?

And another thing: I found a sort of honey balsamic vinegar which is supposed to be a sulfite-free substitute. Is it whole 30 compliant? I know honey itself isn't but maybe?

Thanks!

o.

You know, I have wondered that myself. Not because I have problems with it but I wondered about others.

Somewhere in my memory, I think I read something about some people being sensitive enough to react to naturally occurring sulphites. Otherwise, why would the labels mention them? Maybe give it up until your symptoms subside and try it again?

I have never heard of honey balsamic, but it sounds like a balsamic sweetened or made with honey which would make it a no on W30 if that is the case.

Okay, I just googled honey based balsamic. There is a company in Washington state that makes it. They make a mead with the honey and then let it ferment to a vinegar. It just might be okay since the alcohol in the mead and sugar from the honey would be eaten up in the fermentation process like Kombucha. I would email the company to find out for sure. Very interesting product.

What about histamine intolerance? Apparently somewhat common and balsamic vinegar has high levels of histamine. I read about histamine intolerance and realized that's probably part of my problem. Unfortunately, the paleo diet has a lot of high histamine foods! Check this out:

http://chriskresser.com/headaches-hives-and-heartburn-could-histamine-be-the-cause

What about histamine intolerance? Apparently somewhat common and balsamic vinegar has high levels of histamine. I read about histamine intolerance and realized that's probably part of my problem. Unfortunately, the paleo diet has a lot of high histamine foods! Check this out:

http://chriskresser.com/headaches-hives-and-heartburn-could-histamine-be-the-cause

Hmmm...maybe I am having a kill all the things moment, but in general, W30 will not ever be able to cover each and every sensitivity or none of us would be able to eat..ever.

I think at some point, it is up to the individual to figure out if they have sensitivities outside of the norm. Paleo/W30 is not for everyone, but I have to say it seems to work for more people than not, IMHO.

Hmmm...maybe I am having a kill all the things moment, but in general, W30 will not ever be able to cover each and every sensitivity or none of us would be able to eat..ever.

I think at some point, it is up to the individual to figure out if they have sensitivities outside of the norm. Paleo/W30 is not for everyone, but I have to say it seems to work for more people than not, IMHO.

Absolutely agree. My point is that some people have other issues that will not be completely helped by Paleo/W30 unless they do more detective work. It may take a lot of time and determination. I am totally in favor of Paleo/W30, sorry if that didn't come across in my previous comment.

I know I am often frustrated with my own experience after reading testimonials where people say, "I started the Paleo diet/Whole 30/Primal diet/whatever variation and ALL my symptoms were completely resolved in a day/week/month/whatever." I had incremental improvements with each change I've made, but I guess I'm one of those with a seriously f'ed up gut and after 18 months I'm still doing detective work. I'm not giving up and I feel soooo much better than I did in 2011. Whole 30 is my latest foray into aggressively pursuing optimal health.

Try and eliminate suspicious things during your Whole30, you'll really notice adding them back if they make you feel sick (plan your reintroduction carefully, including recovery time between additions). Before Whole30 I'd have said I had no intolerances. Now I'm sure I've got a big problem with wheat and lesser intolerances to corn, dairy, even rice a little.

Archived