Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

If you open one, I am totally moving to Portland. I will be a good barmaid, promise!

Beets kombucha outta control!!! Haha

Omg...perfect example of pixie dust. That is beautiful. You roasted right? Then did you puree it or chop it or just wave your wand. :0)

• Like 1

I think it's ready!!!

It tastes and smells like booch (I never got round to getting the pH strips so can't confirm that way), it's sour, doesn't taste sweet at all.

It tastes a bit weaker than the store bought stuff, is that ok?  Or does it mean I've made a weak brew that might have other stuff growing in it as well?  It looks ok - can't see any invaders of any kind.

I'm boiling off some water now to brew and cool down so will either bottle tonight or tomorrow morning if it hasn't cooled to room temperature.  I thought I'd try and combat the weaker taste with more tea bags and sugar.  Does that sound like a plan?

*excited dance*

Also, still have thin pancake film - it held together just fine when I pushed it around to get my straw into the liquid for pulling of a bit to taste.  Should I just put that into the new brew with Frank or put it in its own jar with some of the booch and some sweet tea so it can do a bit of growing on its own?

So many questions!

• Like 1

Yeasssaaasas! Congrats. Yes, put this film with Frank to the new brew. Second fermentation will add a bit of stronger flavor. Your observation is righ that it depends on the amount/type of tea too. I fell in love with white tea, very light and fruity. Green tea gives a bit of a grassy taste. Black is the most intense. See how you like your first batch and play around. You can always steep extra bag ir two in a mug and add to the jar.

Little thing - mango didn't translate too well in my bottles, so maybe do one only? Berries on the other side, they work perfectly. Also we've learned that flavored tea works like a miracle flavor agent if you have some.

Good luck!

It's the insanity that attracted me. Birds of a feather, don't you know.

Bought my jar and my tea today. GT plain will have to wait until Saturday, unfortunately. I only have flavored here.

Well, we're definitely not short on insanity here!   :D

Congrats Percy!  Don't wash your jar, I do mine every other batch or so but it's really not necessary, I just can't stand the idea of not washing it ever!  Can't wait to hear how it comes out after 2F. 

I am so trying beets in my next bottling, never thought to, but I will have some ready in the garden by then.  I wonder if the spent beets would be good in a salad, kind of like fermented beets.  I also love to make a salad dressing out of the 1F, some walnut oil, and allspice.

So I drew off another bottle this morning, 36 hrs approx, after it's top up. I squashed some fresh blueberries in first and I'm leaving it in the dark cupboard for 24 hrs - is that long enough for 2nd ferment/flavouring?

I am using 3 tea bags + 100g sugar (approx half cup according to conversion) for each litre (34fl oz) of top up tea for my CB.

Susan, popsicle mold is adorable! I have one with Sesame street handles and pretend it's for my cousins in case they come over :D Now, have you tried using it? I've had some of booch in ice cube trays. It becomes uhmm grainy? I wonder if there is something to add to improve texture.

Beets kombucha. I've baked it, chopped it and added for second ferment. I've mixed it with orange juice, but it didn't add much I think. The drink will taste exactly like baked beets. Phenomenal translation of taste. I ate boozy beets after :) I would actually mix it with something sweet (strawberries) or some flowery tea (hibiscus?) next time. I loved carrot booch. Baked carrot and added chooped pieces. Carrot ginger! Love.

We were talking about the dressing with Susan, but haven't tried it. What a luck, I have walnut oil.

D, pretty fizz, congrats. I rarely keep them more than 24 hours. I found that it gets too boozy after this time. However I know that some people keep it for the second fermentation up to 5 days. Dunno, if I'd do that my bottles would explode.

So I'm mid W30 #3 and am not sleeping.  That is very unusual for me.  And then it hit me (sometime after I bought my black tea)-does Kombucha contain caffeine?  Is my late night Kombucha consumption the reason I'm taking so long to fall asleep?

I'm going to feel pretty dumb if that's the answer...

Yes it does. Now I feel dumb too. I love to take my magnesium with a nice glass of booch :) However, the content of caffeine is smaller than in a regular cup of black tea it's still there.  

I wonder if decaff tea will work for brewing. I assume so. I am reading that you can do it yourself by steeping tea for a minute, discarding this water and steep in the water for brewing as usual. Per multiple resources approximately 80% of the caffeine is released in that first minute of steeping.

Heyo!

Here is my very first bottling ...

CAM00133_zps803099a7.jpg

1 ginger, 1 ginger-lemon, 2 raspberry, 2 raspberry-vanilla, 1 mango and the big one is plain.

We left quite a bit of space as we are scaredy-cats.  We'll leave less space and try for more fizz as we get braver.  I say "we" as hubby helped with the bottling but is still refusing to taste.  (And he still wants me to get clearance from doctor about drinking this because of my immuno suppressants.  I bet doctor won't know what kombucha is).

I'm so impressed with how robust my skinny pancake baby is.  It's so thin but sturdy as can be.  It's back in the brewing jar with Frank.

CAM00130_zps7f278194.jpg

Super dark second brew.  Hoping baby thickens up so I can get a white-tea batch going soon (hubby said he would try that).  Come on boys!

• Like 2

So much to catch up on. :) Sophie congrats. :) I remember something about CB. It gets stronger as you go along.

Aack..remember, I am the one who wanted to wash and fold my SCOBYs. I washed my jars. It makes so much sense not to. Oh well now I know.

Derval, you can second ferment anywhere from 2-14 days. I think 2 is good start. After 2, you can stick a straw in to test for flavor and keep going if it isnt how you want it.

Nadia..I just got these ice pop molds. Derval's Lily was eating a pina colada ice pop in the garden so I had to get them for booch. I will freeze a cube of it first and check out grainyness. Grainy would not be good. I wonder if its because yours is so fizzy. I will play around with it. Hmm...pineapple booch mixed with coconut milk and then iced.

Must try carrot and beet with this next batch. I got carried away with the tea flavoring and didnt do either of those.

So I drew off another bottle this morning, 36 hrs approx, after it's top up. I squashed some fresh blueberries in first and I'm leaving it in the dark cupboard for 24 hrs - is that long enough for 2nd ferment/flavouring?

I am using 3 tea bags + 100g sugar (approx half cup according to conversion) for each litre (34fl oz) of top up tea for my CB.

Derval, I do 1.5 litre tea 3-4 tea bags and 100g sugar so yours sounds close enough to call it Pete (old family saying..Uncle Pete was always right :) ).

• Like 1

I was thinking about letting it sit without the cap to unfizz and mix with coconut cream or avocado or banana. If no success I'll make granitas :D I've seen kombucha mixed with nuts into creamy drink, but you and I are on a nut'free strike. 

Yes, thanks to Lizzard (I wish I could refer by name)) we've learned about tea flavoring. It is so much easier to make. It's so delicious too. I took a sip of my lemongrass/cardamon/peppercorns one called Exotica. Soooo good. 

2 days, really? I had my kitchen covered with sweet tea after two days as I tried to open my bottles. I'd say experiment it is.  

• Like 1

I was thinking about letting it sit without the cap to unfizz and mix with coconut cream or avocado or banana. If no success I'll make granitas :D I've seen kombucha mixed with nuts into creamy drink, but you and I are on a nut'free strike.

Yes, thanks to Lizzard (I wish I could refer by name)) we've learned about tea flavoring. It is so much easier to make. It's so delicious too. I took a sip of my lemongrass/cardamon/peppercorns one called Exotica. Soooo good.

2 days, really? I had my kitchen covered with sweet tea after two days as I tried to open my bottles. I'd say experiment it is.

I go 2-4 days and get a little zing on my tongue but thats it. Must be that Canadian water of yours. :0) I burp them every couple of days. That allows the carbonation at the top out so no explosions..not that an explosion would happen with mine. I am going to let a couple of my bottles sit for 6 days and see what happens.

Eureka...I just checked on my bottles and I have fizz. So much so that the ginger sitting on the bottom flew up to the top with the bubbles. The bottles starting with the .5% alcohol have the most fizz. Interesting. I dont think I need to strain it since the only thing in them besides tea is ginger and it politely sits at the bottom. Happy days.

• Like 1