Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Sorry! Didn't know it was going to upload like that. I didn't grow it, I bought the scoby off of etsy. My instructions told me to put in apple cider vinegar, so I assumed that was why it smelled that way.

Yes it's a glass jar that I scored at Walmart for $5! :)

Have I said how much I enjoy this thread?  Finally figured out how to add pics ;)!  I have to laugh, I had an Earl Grey geyser this AM, there was a plumber here when it happened and I shrieked cause it surprised me.  He came dashing out of the bathroom to a kombucha covered me.  He was quite perplexed! 

post-13029-0-98384200-1370980263_thumb.j            post-13029-0-59939600-1370980288_thumb.j           

I bottled just a few days ago and they are already ready to go, the warm weather is definitely speeding up the process.  The best part of that is more booch to drink!

Nadia -your lemongrass/cardamom/peppercorn sounds fab.  You all have given me so many new ideas for my next bottling!

• Like 1

Lemongrass, pink peppercorn, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, pineapple, orange peel, coconut are exact ingredients of the tea. MMMMM. 

In case you wonder, there is an easy way to remove nasty GT stickers. Susan is an expert. Fill the bottle with hot water, let sit for 10 minutes and peeeeeeeel off. Voila! 

Well, sipping on a ginger chocolate numi kt. Love the fizz but I cant really detect the tea. Maybe because its basically going into coldish liquid, it needs 2 bags or maybe I will open the bags. I just received 2 boxes of it. Chocolate suntea and booch on the horizon. :0)

Nadia you were the one who taught me the lovely label removing technique. :) Although I may have found the hot water part on google. :lol:

Lizz, you should have seen how crazy I went when I learned the fun art of posting pics from my phone. Make sure you remove the label before you wash the bottles. Otherwise the gum will remain and you'll have to use goo gone.

"there is an easy way to remove nasty GT stickers"

Awesome, I read it was a pain to do so I never tried.  I am trying to move over to swing tops completely but it would be loverly to not have the labels until then :D

"sipping on a ginger chocolate numi kt"

I let my 2F go for approx a week and it infuses pretty well, not as strong as a hot cuppa definitely but still detectable :)

"you should have seen how crazy I went when I learned the fun art of posting pics from my phone"

Oh geez, everyone is in trouble if I learn how to post from my phone!  Right now I am emailing it to myself from my phone then uploading it to the forum.  I'll have to play around. 

-Liz

I may have to take my cloth off tonight and get a nice close up shot of Nadia.  My SCOBY named Nadia, not the other one ;).

Panicked a bit this morning when I saw some discoloration BUT you all have said unless it is hairy, it is not an issue.  Right?

It is probably about 1/4 inch thick now!

• Like 1

It is no secret that the flavors I plan on using in my booch are ones inspired by cocktails.  I just read of this combo of flavors (originally in a bourbon based cocktail): muddled strawberries, rhubarb, cardamom, vanilla and coriander. 

How do you go about adding vanilla and coriander?  Thoughts?

Everyone elses' SCOBYS are so nice and smooth and pale compared to mine.  Frank is all bumpy and brown with tannin and a bit fuzzy looking with yeast.

Is it because he is an ugly boy SCOBY?  With boy germs?

• Like 1

Vanilla you can either use and split a vanilla bean or if not on a W30 use vanilla extract. Coriander...hmm..you can get seeds and toast them and toss them in whole or whack them with a knife and then toss them in. Yum!! One of my favorites was a lime, mint and mango mojito.

Everyone elses' SCOBYS are so nice and smooth and pale compared to mine. Frank is all bumpy and brown with tannin and a bit fuzzy looking with yeast.

Is it because he is an ugly boy SCOBY? With boy germs?

Frank does NOT have cooties.

• Like 2

"How do you go about adding vanilla and coriander?  Thoughts?"

Whole spice.  I would use maybe a tsp of coriander seeds and maybe half a vanilla bean as they can take over.  I love the thought of vanilla bean KT, or even flavors from my favorite boozey drinks, mint mojito KT anyone?

"Frank is all bumpy and brown with tannin and a bit fuzzy looking with yeast."

My baby mama is like that but she's been through many births at this point.  Frank is a young mother is he not?  I say it's character!

• Like 1