Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

"Frank is all bumpy and brown with tannin and a bit fuzzy looking with yeast."

My baby mama is like that but she's been through many births at this point.  Frank is a young mother is he not?  I say it's character!

Yep, he just finished his first batch and I haven't taken his baby away from him yet.  Put them both in the second batch together.  (Though the baby stayed at the surface and Frank charged for the bottom of the jar - maybe he has had enough of it already and is trying to tell me something).

I have heard that they will sink if they are a different temperature from the tea but will normalize.  I have most of my babies with their mama, probably 9-10 and then my other brew has 3-4 babies.  They seem to be fusing and getting thicker.  I might have to expand again soon or set up a SCOBY hotel.

Ha ha, poor Frank. No wonder he is sulking at the bottom of the jar, with a mean mummy like me.

#########################

Sophie according to Kombuchakamp, they are fine living wherever they want. They are less likely to develop mold if they live under the sea with Dora. :0)

I just realized I have not named any of my new SCOBYs. Being an ocean girl, Dora is one. Arial another. I will ponder the two babies but at least one should be a boy. Or maybe I will be like House and name them 1,2,3,4.

• Like 2

Did anyone try making any with the jalapeno yet?  Nadia mentioned that the mango did not translate well, but I still want to make mango blackberry jalapeno.  Minus the seeds, of course :).  Imagine a geyser of that in your eye! 

Do all of you experienced folks always use fresh fruit?  My co-op has some great organic frozen fruits that would be easier to keep on hand.  Just wondering if fresh is best?

• Like 1

"Do all of you experienced folks always use fresh fruit?  My co-op has some great organic frozen fruits that would be easier to keep on hand.  Just wondering if fresh is best?"

I have had fine results with frozen.  Much better for winter 'cause I can use my summer frozen fruit and not have to buy mealy tasteless stuff in the markets.  I have tried bottling with cayenne peppers, whoa buddy, that was an experience.  I think I would rather it with jalapeno and perhaps cilantro and lime, or even jalapeno, pineapple, and lime.

• Like 1

Kb, I am fond of mango. Mine was perfectly ripe. You know..when the skin gets a little wrinkled? I did not care for jalapeno. It tasted like green bell pepper. I did like habenaro. I think its all so personal though.

You should try what sounds good to you. You may find you need to adjust the recipe to your liking. I could not taste my chocolate tea booch but I am not giving up. :0)

• Like 1

:D  :lol:

Wouldn't Flounder be a more appropriate name?

Actually, yes.  It definitely would!  :lol:

I used frozen for mine KB, though of course I can't say yet whether I deem this successful or not.  Waiting, waiting ...

Wow. I am not using tapatalk right now but still on my phone. Anyone else having trouble opening tapatalk? I just get a black screen and then a message saying try again. This is weird..it's not tapatalk and there was no place to log in. I may show up as annonymous. It's Susan. :0)

Okay..crisis over. Seems my tapatalk app decided to take a dive with frank. Reinstalled and I'm back in business.

Okay, one of the babies is Shamu. They appear to have become one so before I name #4, I'll wait and see.

Night fellow brewers.

I picked up these today to flavour with, should make it easy & fuss free - €0.99 each. They are freezable too so I will prob use half a pouch for each litre & freeze the remainder for next time.

ec3a4f46d34f11e2a2f822000a1f985f_6.jpg

Eww yeah..banana sounds ick. I think I prefer a less fruity one for the most part. Love the idea of the numi choc tea flavor but I can barely detect it. I will try 2 tea bags next time and maybe just cut the tea bags so it's loose.

Going to the fancy tea store today to get some hibiscus tea (Robin loves her K brew using it) and I want to check out fun flavors.

Funny you should mention banana and ick ...  We have some bananas which are getting to the brown spot stage and I looked at them yesterday before bottling and shuddered.

Might have to go for a walk down the baby aisle when I do the grocery shop on Friday though ...  I haven't even started drinking the first batch and I'm thinking about flavours for the next one :D

Anxiously waiting for signs of activity from Frankie-pants and his baby in their jar of new tea.  Now I'm frightened I've done something which will kill them.  I have no idea what, I'm just being a worry-wart.

Clearly I have a problem.

I played a little hookie from work this morning to go get plain Kombucha so I didn't have to wait until Saturday to start.  I got some decaf black tea, too.  I'm thinking I'll go half caf.

Starting tonight!  I've already decided on a name-can't wait to see Scooby begin to form!

• Like 1