Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

OMG all over orange vanilla.  Did you put any of the orange pulp in or just the juice?

I'm starting with grape, but am going to add something with ginger and lemon (maybe blueberry?) and the orange/vanilla next.

I'm getting way ahead of myself since my Scooby snack has only been festering for 6 hours.

Hi There - I'm kinda late to this booch brewing party....  Been considering to start making Kombucha for a while.  I'm still not convinced that I have enough room to making it.... But with all the fantastic flavours I'm seeing listed here - I think I could get very excited about this.... :)

Nadia - I read in a much earlier post that you have some Scoby babies.... If I make the decision to go through with this project would I be able to get some from  you?  I have a bit of a nomad lifestyle and live between Toronto and Montreal.  So I am in Toronto often enough (generally 2 weeks out of every month).  Plus I would like to get some possible pointers and hints if at all possible. 

Let me know.....

Cheers

• Like 1

Carlaccini, oh for sure, I'll grow a nice one separately for you ;) I hope you are driving aha. Imagine the face of security at the airport. 

Tea update. Went for a walk during my lunch and poPped to the herbs store. Picked up some loose teas and herbal tisanes for booch. I got: Bora Bora Mango Rooibos, Orient Express (apple, almond, hibiscus, rosehip, orange peel and calendula petals), Berry Berry (currants, raisins, hibiscus and rosehip) and dried rosebuds. Happy booching everyone. 

Nadia - Yes I drive mostly - but that thought made me giggle - I can only imagine..... :)

Those teas sound phenomenal....

I have some wonderful Kasumi black and green teas that a friend of mine gave me.  I am assuming that this would work well as a base?

My goodness folks, I go away overnight with no computer and it takes me a good 15 minutes to catch up on what I missed! 

I love to make salad dressing out of my booch sometimes, in place of vinegar, and with all this talk of beet booch I was thinking maybe a beet, roasted garlic, dill booch that is used for that purpose.  Am I getting a little too off the wall here? Thought it might be a fun experiment.  Also I have a fish recipe that marinates in lime and dill, thought that might translate well to booch.

"Lizz do you let your vinegar booch go longer at first ferment? I am ending up with WAY too much booch all of a sudden."

When I bottle I simply set one plain one aside for a few more weeks.  Technically it's not kombucha vinegar because you need to leave it with the SCOBY and ripen quite a bit to make vinegar, so Yes, you can let it go longer at 1F.  One of these days I will relinquish a baby solely for vinegar making. 

I'm getting way ahead of myself since my Scooby snack has only been festering for 6 hours.

Ha!  The word "festering" has been used several time in this house in reference to kombucha-making.  Embrace the grossness :D

• Like 1

Okay..I have one 2 litre jar that is now officially designated as vinegar. Daughter is "over booch" right now (please) and I gifted my trainer with his own SCOBY so I went from "what about me" to "what the heck will I do with all of this booch".

• Like 2

"what the heck will I do with all of this booch".

You could bottle it for a rainy day, or when you are low again.  I am pretty sure it keeps indefinitely, so just bottle it up and put it in a dark cabinet somewhere.  Just remember to burp it every once in awhile, or refrigerate.

Holy cow-there's something slimy on the surface attaching to the side of my jar! Is this the start of Scooby, or just the kombucha sludge gathering all in one place from the original bottles? I can't send a pic b/c I don't want to take the top off.

• Like 2