Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Baked is better 100%. My boochsicles are not working. I will stick to swypo avocado/cocoa. Someday when I can handle it. Maybe summer will be over by that time ahaha. 

UPD - mix some coconut cream as well and a bit of honey (or dates). Some recipes have added gelatine and bananas. Imagine that. 

UPD2. I am trying honedew cucumber mint 

Well my two batch jars are officially grounded. I will add one of those SCOBYs to my CB and the other will reside in a hotel until I can find more fans of booch. Look at all these. I dont even drink a full one a day. Maybe I should start. :0) Golden beets, hibiscus, dried ginger and figs in all sorts of combos.

post-3818-13716840688173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Susan! That is awesome!

I gave my booch a taste. Hint of fizz (I swear!) and hint of boochiness. I think I will have to bottle Friday instead of Sunday. I have no mango or ginger or jalapeños or cherries or vanilla! Panic!

If you haven't tried boysenberry yet, doooooo it.

Got impatient and cracked one open to have with my lunch ...  Raspberries are my favourite berry, but I liked the boysenberry booch better.

Need to get my thinking cap on for next week's flavourings, all your awesome combos make me feel boring!

Thanks to everyone's inspiration I just bottled:

Rosemary Fig, Orange Beet Spice, Lavender Peach, Pineapple Cilantro, Chai Chocolate Puerh, Mulberry Basil, Tamarind Black Pepper, Cherry Lime Rickey, Hibiscus Mint Mate, and my old standby, Ginger.

Thanks all for the great ideas and help getting the booches flowing, was in a bit of a flavor rut.  Loving this warm weather, booch is ready so much more quickly!

• Like 2

I want them now!  Not a week from now......

Oh yeah, trying to snap a pic but I've got a Booch Pooch!  She knows the sound of the swingtop opening and comes running.  She even knocked a mostly empty bottle off the ottoman the other night when I stepped out of the room.  My fault for giving her some but secretly I love it!

My fav thread, really. Kb, it was a brilliant idea.

Susan, here is my hibiscus, see? post-12442-13717354899395_thumb.jpgI've mixed 1:1 with black tea. Can't wait!

Lizzard, which spices did you put in beet/orange? What's a rickey, pardon my ignorance. 

Sophie, raspberry is an absolute favorite of mine too. White tea+raspberry+fresh mint = heaven. I don't want to drink anything else, hehe.

Mo, I want this jumpsuit. AAAA

"Lizzard, which spices did you put in beet/orange? What's a rickey, pardon my ignorance."

I added clove, cardamom, allspice (prolly redundant) and licorice root, alond with 1 v sm chopped beet and orange juice and zest.

When I was a teen, Snapple made a drink called cherry lime Rickey based off an old school cocktail.  I love it so of course they discontinued it.  I just love the way cherry and lime and fizz go together, add some gin when not W30ing and it's a great summer cocktail!

*****The Rickey is a category of mixed drinks closely resembling a highball made from a base spirit, half of a lime squeezed and dropped in the glass, and carbonated water. Little or no sugar is added to the Rickey. Originally created with bourbon whiskey in Washington, D.C. at Shoomaker's bar by bartender George A. Williamson in the 1880s, purportedly in collaboration with Democratic lobbyist Colonel Joe Rickey, it became a worldwide sensation when mixed with gin a decade later.***** -Wikipedia

Oh, I guess I could explain my picture! Really I just love to make people look at the redic lady-onesie I'm wearing. I'm just showing using a siphon to fill swing top bottles and I'm doing Continuous Brew that way now by just removing a little but not having to tilt the heavy jar.

My fav thread, really. Kb, it was a brilliant idea.

Susan, here is my hibiscus, see? attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1371735485.846599.jpgI've mixed 1:1 with black tea. Can't wait!

Lizzard, which spices did you put in beet/orange? What's a rickey, pardon my ignorance. 

Sophie, raspberry is an absolute favorite of mine too. White tea+raspberry+fresh mint = heaven. I don't want to drink anything else, hehe.

Mo, I want this jumpsuit. AAAA

I can't take credit; this was all Susan's idea!

*****The Rickey is a category of mixed drinks closely resembling a highball made from a base spirit, half of a lime squeezed and dropped in the glass, and carbonated water. Little or no sugar is added to the Rickey. Originally created with bourbon whiskey in Washington, D.C. at Shoomaker's bar by bartender George A. Williamson in the 1880s, purportedly in collaboration with Democratic lobbyist Colonel Joe Rickey, it became a worldwide sensation when mixed with gin a decade later.***** -Wikipedia

You can tell I don't drink, right? Ahahaha

• Like 1

Okay, honestly now.....on a scale of Julia Child to toaster waffle, how hard is it to start making your own?  

I tried my first Kombucha yesterday (GT Cosmic Cranberry), and I'm intrigued.  But I don't want to start a project that I will end up abandoning in a big-yet-messy hurry.

Also, is living in a climate where my coconut oil and red palm oil are always liquid at "room temp" going to be an issue for making my own booch?

I have heard of people having boozy booch but have not tried it myself.  I found this recipe:

The Tomfoolery

1 1/2 oz Scofflaw Old Tom Gin
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz raspberry syrup

1/2 oz ginger liqueur
1/4 oz Gran Classico Bitter
Lemon peel, for garnish

Combine ingredients, then shake over ice and strain into a collins glass with three ice cubes. Top with ginger kombucha and garnish with a lemon peel.

Which sounds deeeelicious!  I may have to try it after it my reintroduction! (love my gin)

• Moderators

I get it now. I am totally obsessed with my own booch. Loving the results of my first bottling. All are nice and fizzy now--I think they just needed another couple days. The only one that's flat is the strawberry vanilla, so I put in a dab of honey and will check it in another day or two.

Second bottling/second second ferment just happened and I'm having hella fun with the flavor. Can't even remember what I ended up with, but I used, in varying combos:

cherries

raspberries

limes

mint

apricots

kumquats (!) (my favorite!)

cucumbers

cardamom

vanilla bean

lemongrass

ginger

lemon

I shall report back when I taste them. OMG is this fun or what? Not even kidding this is better than boozy cocktails. I'm realizing that's the part I love--the experimentation--not the booze, necessarily.

Question: how big can you make the first ferment batch? I've got my original SCOBY and my baby in a 3-gallon jar but still keep putting in 8 cups sweet tea. I could fit nearly double that in there. any reason why I shouldn't? Would it just take longer?

Thanks, experts!

Oh, and thanks, Susan, for the beef jerky instructions. I went out and bought a London Broil yesterday and made my first batch of jerky in my electric oven. SO easy and delicious. Best jerky I've ever had. Ain't no thing! Merci.

• Like 3

Such great ideas!  (And I need to find that jerky recipe.)  I think you guys just showed me how I'm going to give up wine!  (Too much sugar-makes me want to eat.)  I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I'M READY TO BREW!