Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

I wish I had more fruit at the time so I could try new flavors.  I think that is the best part of this whole process.  Next round will include pineapple, mangos, and strawberries :)  I was also thinking coconut-lime.

percy - thanks!!

Jenna, you're welcome!  I love girl guns!

I had one bottle of mango in my first batch and while I couldn't taste the mango (it was frozen mango - I think fresh would be better) the fizz was the best of all my flavourings.  I'm guessing high sugar content.  Pineapple would be good like that too I should think.  I have one strawberry in this batch so hopefully that will turn out nice.

Lime and mint sitting in the fridge atm, fizz looks promising.  Hubby keen to try this one (mojito lover, maybe we can call this a kombito?).

I gave away a piece of scoby for the first time today, was a bit odd having to tear a bit off my dinner plate one - it was quite tough and I couldn't use a scissors of knife ecause of the metal. Hope it recovers quickly from my tampering!

Thanks Liz-I think if I don't see real progress in the next few days I'll try that.  It's definitely coming along, just not fast enough for my booch guzzling self.  :) 

I'm still wondering if the Earl Grey tea had something to do with it.

Ok, action here again, love it. 

Liz, good to know. I love using little doughnut peaches, best flavor so far. I suspect that booch is giving me a bit of a trouble (oh no no no please not be true), so I want to try yeast free fermented stuff. Looks like same process as with booch, but way shorter brewing time. This is a disadvantage, I like to forget about this for a week. I also really want coconut kefir. I bet you've done it too. 

Jenna, I like to puree ot cut fruits, seems to release juices way better. Just saying. 

Dried stuff works very good in my experience. I've tried prunes, cherries, turkish apricots and raisins.

Coconut. I've added coconut water to booch, nothing exciting. I've added young coconut flesh - beeeh. Coconut extract - YAY. So is almond extract. 

Sophie, white tea and fresh mango are meant to be together. My couple mango trials failed before, but this time!!!! Oh my. Strawberry is my favorite for all the times and a staple flavor. So comforting. Especially with mint. 

Pineapple didn't translate at all, again it might have been just too strong of a plain booch to start with. 

Derval, getting Ireland hooked haha! 

• Like 1

Nope, no coconut kefir.  I love all things coconut except coconut water, it makes me gag a little :P   I will keep an eye out for the doughnut peaches.  I can't wait till they come in season round here, will buy lots and freeze and dehydrate. 

Oh damn, I got all confused. No coconut kefir for me, coconut water is so effing sweet. I meant coconut yogurt, but I am not sure that water grains would ferment it. I have to research dairy-free options. I've made coconut yoghurt with the young coconut meat and a starter I had from a vegan girl. I ate it all, licked the jar clean and though "oh you, stupid, you don't have anything to start next batch". Ok, too much rambling about non booch stuff. 

Fellow, brewers, what's your best advice for grapefruit? I've done ginger, sage and lavender. Not bad. What else can I do with it? 

I am thinking of buying a big jar with a spigot to make bottling easier, and keeping my glass gallon jar for my hotel.  Does this sound about right?

And yes...I don't even have a grown scoby and I'm talking about my hotel.  I have faith.

Where do you get lavender and it what form?

• Like 1

Meg, it's always good to be prepared!  I have a lavender plant in my garden.  You can order lavender flowers online, not sure about the leaves, which I prefer for booch.  If you have a farmer's market you can go to ask around for farmers who grow lavender :)

I had read to have your scoby and booch in a dark yet warm place.  I have mine in the cabinet over the refrigerato; the door in front of the booch is closed, but the other door is open as you still need ventilation.

Nadia, you can make yoghurt with dairy free probiotic capsules.  I've done that with coconut milk, though I did add tapioca starch and agar agar to thicken it up.  I know you do it with coconut meat so you wouldn't have to.

megmac, I think the most important thing is to keep it out of direct sunlight.  I haven't kept mine in the dark and they're growing like the clappers now.  But it's definitely worth a try, KB's is thundering along too, so I'd try what she says.

• Like 1

Meg, I don't know if this is helpful but, I keep mine in the second bathroom cabinet along with ferments. The cabinet stays closed. SCOBYs surprisingly are tough little boogers. It"s all gonna be fine, it will grow, they grow in a teacup of dirty water if you'd let them. It may take yours a bit more time for some reason or another, they are all individuals just like people. You have a good solid cover going now it just needs to thicken a bit. No worries and don't stress it sooo much, really it will get there. Big virtual hug :)

post-13029-13725108811376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just wanted to pop in and say hey, y'all. I have more booch than I know what to do with at the moment. My most winning flavor so far is cucumber mint lemongrass kumquat. Incredibly refreshing, subtle, and not oversweet. I feel so fancy!

• Like 1