Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

When i first started drinking booch I definitely felt a little buzz, but it was less of a boozy buzz than a general well being feeling.  I occasionally still get it but it's rare.  It's hard to really tell the amount of alcohol in homemade brew but typically less than .5% (next to nothing).

That happened to me during my W30 with the store bought stuff.  Only I liked it.  :)

It hasn't happened to me and I am pretty sure I would like it.  Maybe I need to start letting my first ferment go longer ...  :ph34r:

• Like 1

SaraG, don't ever be shy when it comes to sharing photos of your booch.  Some of us (ie me) are nosey parkers and love pictures  ;)

I bottled tonight too!  Getting braver and filled the bottles right up this time.

I burped mine twice the first day--taking no chances. I tried to leave them alone today so they could possibly just maybe develop some fizz. I don't have super high hopes for this batch--too much attention!

I haven't taken pictures of mine yet but I did google scoby pictures with which to compare mine.

• Like 1

Uses and Storing extra SCOBYs: they are great for facials. Sounds gross but results are worth the ick factor. Take all or some of a scoby, mush up ( technical term) and schmear on your face. Let sit for 15-30+ mins, you'll feel it feeding on the bacteria on your skin. Rinse off and voila, smooth soft skin. They are great to add to garden, compost, or in food.

Can store in liquid, just make sure they dont dry out, for months. And of course, passing them on is a great gift.

When brewing: clean vessels and utensils with white vinegar, NO SOAP. Distilled water for tea and dilution. If youre using metal lids during second fermentation, placing a bit of wax paper under metal lid helps. I started brewing a few months ago and LOVE the tea and the process.

• Like 3

Oops one more hint, dont use earl grey tea. Its got oils and such that can kill or negatively modify the scoby. Black and green seem to work well together. My favorite flavor so far for second fermentationn: ginger ( loads of it), blueberry, mint, and st johns wart. But I also do continuous brew and drink it right outta the big ol jug. Yummy

• Like 1

megmac, my first was quite like that.  Skinny, but he totally did the job.  It's grown over the whole surface, hasn't it?  Let's wait for a couple more opinions but I don't think you're too far away.

Facial! Whaaaat?! I know that Liz will probably say "yep, have been doing it forever". I wonder how can you mush it up, blender? So cruel, my heart will be bleeding to watch that  :o I am curious to try tho. Just when I thought I couldn't gross out people more with eating kidneys and hearts. Thanks for heads up! 

Megmac, it's kinds thin-ish for a 3 week, tbh. But it's not abnormal and like Sophie said, it will do the job. Have you added a bottle of store booch to fatten it up? Did you move it from the light? Oh poor you, waiting must be killing you. Give it couple more days and start brewing I say. 

• Like 1

Someone suggested the SCOBY facial on my blog!  I'm still too squeamish.  Apparently I'm ok with eating its bi-products but not putting it on my face.  Also, I don't think hubby would want to anywhere near my face if I started doing it!

I started it with 2 bottles of Gt plain, but did it in a gallon jar-probably too big. More booch? More tea? More sugar?

I'm a bit anxious, yes, but don't want to let on my disappointment. You know how boys are...:)

I can't decide what tea to use to start my kombucha...  I have white tea, green tea and black tea.  Maybe the black-green combination is the way to go.

My kombucha kit is sitting at home... and I'm on sat here on a really dull course browsing the internet. :(

Tried my first bottle of white tea kombucha yesterday and LOVED it.  Hubby too.  More than black tea booch.  Switching white tea to the big jar once we've vacated the black batch which is currently in there.  

SO nice for fruit flavours.  Excited about opening next bottle (in about half an hour :P )

• Like 1