Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

I decided on a green & white tea combo... but now you two are making me wish I'd gone for just the white tea.

I keep having a look at my kombucha every time I walk past it, even though it's not meant to be ready for 10-14 days, I just want to see if it's doing anything exciting.

You might be onto a good thing Annabel, I'm a bit worried about this second batch of white as it doesn't seem to be growing baby SCOBY as quickly as the first one did.  I'm going to try a mostly white brew next with a bit of green as a caffeine insurance policy.

It's SOOOOO good though.  Hubby loved it.  This is the man who stopped drinking kombucha because the SCOBY was too disgusting.  Now he is not only drinking it, but going back for seconds and saying it's delicious.  Blackberry was total win.  Black tea booch making will probably cease after I've bottled the batch currently fermenting.

Will definitely put mango on the list to try Nadia!  Will get a fresh one this time instead of using frozen :)

Heh, and Annabel, I did that too.  We have a designated pocket torch which is only used for SCOBY viewing.  It sits on the shelf right above the jars.

Hey There,

After getting impatient and excited to try this I started to attempt to grow my own Scoby.

I'm about a week in.  I checked last night and there seems to be a delicate white type flowery blob growing at the top of my jar (it's rather shy and likes hidding) but I also noticed a darker fuzzy layer forming on the bottom of my jar.  I was certain that the white thing was my scoby but now I'm not sure.

I'm sorry I'm a little bit technology defincient and don't have something to really take a good picture with so this is the best info I give out for now.  So question 1) Is what I am explaining on top normal for scoby development and 2) which one is the scoby?

That sounds normal to me Carlaccini!  The scoby is the white thing on the surface and the fuzzy stuff at the bottom is yeast growth.

Welcome to the rabbit hole :)  Brewing booch makes you crazy but it's so much fun :)

• Like 1

Thank you PP!  I've been reading this thread on and off a little and it looks like fun....

Now that I know things are "normal" I can relax a little.

Now how big should little miss Scoby be in order to make booch?  I would say she's a little smaller than my thumb at the moment.

Nadia-you confirmed what I thought, Scooby is pretty thin for 3+ weeks.  I'm not even sure I could move him-he is so skinny and wide (5 or 6 inches across) that I'm afraid he would crumble. 

But PP-you said your first was similar and it worked, right?  Should I add another bottle of booch?  Should I just give it a try?  Maybe grow another in a smaller jar just in case?  I don't know how long I should let him go before I either give it a shot or dump him and start over. 

Holy cow!  I just got butterflies when you said to start brewing, Nadia!  I'm so much farther gone that I realized-LOL!!!

Okay, so now I need specifics about how to get the old tea out and the new tea in.  I'm afraid to move Scooby (although I bought a lovely 2 gallon jar with a spigot for my someday CB plan) because he's not that stable.  Can I just pour off as much as I can of the old tea and add new on top?  I do plan to re-read all (yes, all) the posts on here over the weekend, but I don't remember anything this specific being asked.

I told my hubby and daughter last night that I was going to taste the tea that was in with Scooby (mostly kidding) and they both screamed!  It's kind of fun to gross them out about this.  :)

Meg, the SCOBY is stronger than you would think.  I typically place mine on a plate with some tea from the jar poured over it while I bottle.  Then I can slide it back in after I have added the fresh tea to the jar.  I highly doubt it will rip or break as long as you are slightly careful.  And yea, fresh tea and sugar will do lovely things for it!

BTW Nadia, yes I have done the SCOBY mask thingy but no I have not been doing it for ages.  I love the effects but hate using a baby for it!  I use it as a special treat every once in awhile :)

• Like 1

I would prepare tea first, remember, it needs to cool down first. It might take some time.Then, I'd pour everything out to any mixing bowl - liquid and a scoby. Fill the jar with fresh tea, pour the starter liquid with scoby and cover. It is like rubber, nothing is going to happen to it. You can't ruin it. If you are grossed out to touch it understandable, I just move it around with clean hands. Good luck!

P.S Def try the liquid from the scoby jar before. I use straw to get underneath the yeastie. If it's sour and not sweet - start the brew 200%.

Not grossed out to touch it, but tasting the tea will be a challenge.  I smelled it last night and it was interesting to say the least.  Earl Grey is such a specific smell, and it's pretty much gone. 

I will start brewing tonight!  Best Friday night plans I've had in a while!  :):):)

Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

Earl grey?  I am wondering if that is the issue Meg, since we have seen a variety of opinions on whether or not that can be used for kombucha.

Make sure you rinse your hands with distilled vinegar before handling your scoby!  Happy brewing!  It really is a joy!

• Like 1

Yup.  That's what I was thinking.  I got the okay to use it, but it has been a question in my head all along.  I guess we'll see what happens when I use regular black tea for my first batch.

post-30497-0-52954100-1373067171_thumb.j

Day three after bottling. It tastes legit! One thing that has helped is having some commercial kombucha on hand. I can compare mine. When I was testing from the gallon jar I thought it was vinegar. But compared to GT I could taste the sweet.

post-30497-0-66187700-1373067380_thumb.j

This is the next batch. Now that this helicopter parent has some bottles I'm content to leave the big one alone.

post-30497-0-23554500-1373067501_thumb.j

• Like 1

I think I might have killed him. This morning he was folded up trying to float, and now I don't see him at all. I've got a new batch started with the right tea, but should a throw a bottle of booch in with Scooby to see if I can resurrect him? I guess it can't hurt-just a $4 bottle of booch to lose.

I'm doing a smaller batch this time.