Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Yay meg!  Before you know it, you'll have baby scoobies taking over your kitchen.

Haven't posted a pic in a while, here is tonight's work:

IMG_20130709_224847_zps8f412c90.jpg

1 batch white, 1 batch green.  Now I have to drink it like mad to free up a few bottles for the big jar full of black!

• Like 1

Aha little scobies running around the kitchen, playing with your spice jars and messing around. 

Or you can just pour pure booch in a big jar and store it in the fridge to slow down the fermentation. When you would like to flavor - take it out and do the usual routine. 

• Like 2

Can we talk about what I bottled from growing Scooby?  I read online that if you like the taste, it's perfectly fine booch.  I've got 8 bottles on their 2nd ferment-day 4.  Has anyone ever done this?  Bottled the stuff they used to grow their Scoby? 

Now that I find that booch makes a fantastic mixer, I'm going to go through it even faster.  These 8 bottles might be perfect for that.

Next up:  continuous brew

It takes a little less time to brew in summer. I start testing after day 5. My usual bottling day is day 7. What you can do is to discard 1/3 or half of the sour booch and add fresh tea. Let sit for a couple days to ferment. Should work.

My first batch (tea from growing Scooby) is ready.  I put it in the fridge last night.  I will try it tonight!  It's grape/cherry/ginger/lemon.  It sounded good at the time. 

I will post a pic tonight!  I have a feeling it's going to be pretty sour, but we'll see.

• Like 1

This morning my hubby was staring at my 2 scobies in the closet and he said, "This really isn't what I was hoping we'd be growing in the closet." :)

..................................... MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

I split a vanilla bean in half and scraped the seeds in for a cherry vanilla batch. Honestly, I didn't notice the vanilla flavor that way. I think Michelle has it right with putting the whole split bean in there.