Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

I think all the information provided so far has been helpful. I have taken all other questions to Pinterest, Google, and Youtube. ^_^ . I ordered a scoby kit from Etsy and will start my process next week.

PS where is a cheap place to get glass bottles/jars from? I plan on hitting up the thrift store and have already asked my parents to put theirs to the side.

PPS what if my scoby is too big to fit into my jar? Can i cut it?

Any kitchen appliances stores, home/gardening, Target, IKEA or thrift store. If you need bottles I'd check beer brewing stores, they usually have them sold by case.

Cutting scoby!!!! Cruel lady, please don't do this. It will fit in perfectly and will morph and grow in the given jar.

• Like 1

Ok, fun time. Note to self - bottling booch in a morning rush in a white dress is a nono. My kitchen is covered with sweet tea and fruits. Dress got a very cool pink print too. LOL. I hope I won't scare anyone. I've just opened it too quick instead of burping it slowly first. It's a cantaloupe basil and it's good!

null_zps8e5e6ae7.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, fun time. Not to self - bottling booch in a morning rush in a white dress is a nono. My kitchen is covered with sweet tea and fruits. Dress got a very cool pink print too.

Maybe that's the price of getting lovely fizzy kombucha? The occasional sacrifice of a dress?

Okay, I just see these very large scobys and cant imagine fitting it into my applesauce jar.

Since you're ordering a scoby, won't that mean you'll start brewing your first batch straight away? Will an applesauce jar be big enough?

Heh, I found a Kombucha sub-reddit on reddit.com and I've seen some pics of MONSTER scobies on there!

Maybe that's the price of getting lovely fizzy kombucha? The occasional sacrifice of a dress?

Since you're ordering a scoby, won't that mean you'll start brewing your first batch straight away? Will an applesauce jar be big enough?

Heh, I found a Kombucha sub-reddit on reddit.com and I've seen some pics of MONSTER scobies on there!

I have the large jars from BJs .. I think 48oz. and I think its big enough? I guess I dont know.

It is ok, but it just seems so terrifying...cutting a scoby.

Msssjenna, you have a 1 gallon applesauce jar? Wow. If you are concerned that the mouth of the vessel is not big enough - scoby is flexible. Your starter kit scoby won't be a monster size most likely.

I have the large jars from BJs .. I think 48oz. and I think its big enough? I guess I dont know.

You guys must get bigger jars than we do :) I was picturing this teeny little jar in my head because that's the size I always see apple sauce sold in here!

I just had to run the numbers through a converter because I can only do metric. Those jars would be a bit under half a gallon each? I don't know what the ideal size is either! I saw someone saying their jar was 1 or 1.5 gallon here somewhere so I found a jar that size too, but maybe I am just greedy and want lots of kombucha! (Actually, there's no maybe about it!).

• Like 2

Sophie, you crack me up. I have converter app opened all the time, I will never speak feet, inches, Farenheits or ounces. No offense people, but measuring veggies in cups is the most ridiculous (and inaccurate) thing ever :D Grumpy me today heh.

Basic recipe calls for 1 gallon. You can scale the recipe accordingly I guess. I've only doubled it, no scaling down :D I'd def get a bigger jar, because if you are not doing a CB it will leave you with like 3 bottles of booch as you'll have to save some for the next batch.

• Like 3

48ounces is a little less than half a gallon. I will try to find a bigger jar before the scoby get here.

I got my 1 gallon jar at Target. It wasn't that expensive. I almost got wooed by a spigot jar that was twice the cost, but I'm not ready for continuous brew yet (or regular brew yet as my kitchen keeps exploding keeping me from getting it more clean to have a place to put my brew). Someone beat me with a wet zoodle if I don't get this set up by the end of the weekend.

As far bottles for your finished product I've just been saving the bottles from the booch I've been buying. Helps me justify the cost of the pre-brewed when I remember the glass bottles will get lots of use. (assuming I ever get it done)

• Like 1

Wow what a stroke of luck! My friend is a manager of a charity shop and I was in with her this evening and asked her if she ever got in bottles. She was about to take home the dozen plus flip top lemonade bottles she had in the shop from customer evenings for recycling! But now they are my booch bottles!

• Like 4

For the Aussies, I've seen a lot of really giant glass jars in places like House, they're Maxwell WIlliams I think, but they're often on sale. Will keep my eyes peeled.

That's where I got mine from! I got this one here:

http://www.maxwellandwilliams.com.au/mw/maxwell-williams-storage-canisters-jars-candy-jar-6-litre-lh6549.asp

$19.95 full price, but I had to have it because I'm terrible at waiting for things.

• Like 1

For sure. But really ... base 10 makes a lot of sense!

We seem to be doing okay. Arrgh on why y'all care. Feel free to leave it to us to translate. I shall now bow out and busy myself with things that truly matter. :)

Because it's confusing for my very non-mathematical brain

But you're right, there are much better things to think about/discuss

I understand. Sorry. My goodness, I feel a bit picked on..I do not adore the feeling. I will try to convert before I post recipes or amounts.

I understand. Sorry. My goodness, I feel a bit picked on..I do not adore the feeling. I will try to convert before I post recipes or amounts.

The beauty of the whole30 template. A palm size is a universal measurement we all can understand!

• Like 1

The beauty of the whole30 template. A palm size is a universal measurement we all can understand!

Lol..so that is why the Hartwigs came up with the template. They were crossing borders. Leave it to you to lighten the moment. :)

• Like 2