Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

My goodness, I feel a bit picked on..I do not adore the feeling. I will try to convert before I post recipes or amounts.

Oh dear. Don't feel picked on. I measure in cups as well (though metric is more appealing to the part of my brain that wants my computer structure to be perfect and all my spices exactly alphabetized). Jacques Pepin uses cups in his cook books. Maybe not at home. Whatever. :)

• Like 2

I understand. Sorry. My goodness, I feel a bit picked on.

Oh no no no! That was so not the intention! I guess sometimes the forums feel a bit US-centric, so when a few of us metric-users come long we get a bit overexcited and cocky. Taking off my big britches right now :)

• Like 2

Hmm, are swing top bottles good for bottling booch? Cos the swing top bottles I like most come with beer in them (I don't drink the beer, I just like the bottle). Not sure on the spelling, but it's German, Grolsh I think. Gotta be careful cos not all the bottles are reusable, but the swing top ones are water tight lying down. Reckon they'd be alright with fizzy booch in them? If you can find someone who likes the beer, you may get lots of free bottles.

Grolsch bottles: my aren't they useful! In high school we used to use them for another recreational activity. I can't even remember how exactly but it was something to do with smoking grass.

• Like 3

I want my booch in fancy bottles! Alas, recycled will have to be my way to go. The part of me that loves to shop and gather wants the new and cute; the part of me that needs to get rid of shite is recycling!

SCOBY update: I think it is simply not warm enough. I peeked under the cloth this morning and I have not seen any SCOBY progress. I may just go ahead and order one to get this party started!

Anyone know how long it should take for a new baby to start forming at the top of a new batch? My mama sunk to the bottom and there doesn't appear to be anything going on at the top after 3 days. Am I just being impatient?

Kb - not warm enough for anything, let alone scoby growing. That could be my issue, too.

• Like 1

People relax. Stop touching it and peeking. Sinking to the bottom is fine :D

Ok, so today another bottle just blew up into my face. Like all this crazy fizz right onto another dress and wet hair. They smell like booze because I didn't have time to wash them again. Speaking of booze, is it possible to over-second-ferment them? My bottles sat there for 4 days. That's way too much probably? I just didn't have time to bottle them. I don't drink alcohol and I taste it in my booch. I am not paranoid. I actually think I feel a bit drunk :D :D

Well supposedly kombucha is what made Lyndsay Lohan (no idea how to spell her first name and refuse to google) violate her parole mandated BAC test.

I've definitely felt a buzz from even the regular (not 21+) GTs.

So maybe I shouldn't let my 8 yo drink a bottle a day? :D Luckily, I'm too cheap to buy him a $4 bottle so he only gets occasional sips. I have never felt a buzz from kombucha, though...

That's the thing, I've tried all the possible brands of booch and this is my third batch. I've never had anything like that. I walked to the office kitchen after I sipped a bottle I brought from home. People, I swear I am drunk :D It's 11 AM ahahah

• Like 1

People relax. Stop touching it and peeking. Sinking to the bottom is fine :D

Ok, so today another bottle just blew up into my face. Like all this crazy fizz right onto another dress and wet hair. They smell like booze because I didn't have time to wash them again. Speaking of booze, is it possible to over-second-ferment them? My bottles sat there for 4 days. That's way too much probably? I just didn't have time to bottle them. I don't drink alcohol and I taste it in my booch. I am not paranoid. I actually think I feel a bit drunk :D :D

Says the woman who asked a daily SCOBY question! :lol:

Now you have become an old pro!

So this is a question about purchased booch but I assume it's answer will apply somewhat to my own. I bought about 6 or 7 bottles last week and when I got home noticed there was booch on the bottom of my cooler bag. I opened the last bottle today and realized it was the one that somehow leaked (it still had the plastic safety seal so not sure what happened) as when I took the plastic off there was droplets of booch on the cap. I opened it up and there was brown grey gook on the inside of the cap and inside lip of the bottle. I wiped both and than looked at the bottle and there seems to be more gook than normal at the bottom of the bottle. All this to ask - is it safe to drink this still or should I toss it?

Ok, I guess I'll drink it and if I get sick I'll blame Nadia. ;-)

Hate to dump almost $4 down the drain after all.

Beth I think its fine too. Sometimes they simply over ferment and can actually go so far as turning to vinegar.

Reporting on my two babies. Solid white and getting thicker by the minute. The one with the .5% alcohol content is more robust looking. I should have written the date I started them. I think the heat strip helps.

• Like 4

Dad has called and said his batch is ready. I said that I told him to test it after 5 days, not bottle it. He said nope, I love it like this. I thought that the vessel is in some powerd spot over there and told him to drink up :) Mary! Susan! Thank you so much, he has something to be excited about and something to play with during his "home arrest". He was so cute yelling "Nadia, it's ready! The blob has eaten the sugar! It's growing too. Do I bottle first or make new tea? Is it wrong that I like it plain? I want it plain! And yes, Mom said we need to add sugar to it to taste good. I said that she can't have sugar, right?! I mean if she doesn't like it more for me! Anyway, I don't see a baby you were talking about. Maybe we have a male scoby!!!" Shedding a tear.

Flavors update.

Cantaloupe. Don't waste kombucha, doesn't translate well at all.

Cherry. Always good. Cherry vanilla is the bomb. Cherry basil is awesome too.

Pear. Superstar. Pear vanilla and pear ginger - both are fantastic. Pear strawberry is lame. I am surprised.

Cranberry - good good.

Carrot - needs more experimenting. Carrot ginger blew me away.

Cardamon. Weird but I love cardamon. Will be perfect Christmas drink. What's gonna happen if you heat booch? I assume all the good stuff will be destroyed?

• Like 3