Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

1 1/2 gallons- pot of hot water, dissolve 1 1/2 cup of sugar (or little less), then steep 9 tea bags. I make this the night before and leave it on the stove to cool to room temp (take out tea bags after a while). In the morning add to scoby jar and fill the rest with room temp water.

• Like 2

Mo, goat doesn't do the job? Sorry :D

We sold that goat! A single goat is a lonely goat is a destructive and needy, whiney, crying goat. She had attached herself to my husband so much so that he had to stay in the yard morning to night. We had read this about goats but didn't believe it until we saw it for ourselves. When we move to our land we can have a whole herd of goats.

Susan. I was doing tablespoons. OMG. Fizz secret revealed?

I do same method as Michele. Brew it and let sit overnight. Any way works as long as there sweet tea there. Touch scoby with clean hands and you are good.

Oh no, needy goat. That doesn't sound like fun. Who would have thought that they are like that?!

post-12442-13703102214268_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Omg...fizz totally figured out. One tea bag = one tsp loose leaf tea. When Hannah at KK was trouble shooting the fizz factor, she asked me if I had tried to increase tea strength. I didn't know she meant triple it.

• Like 1

Susan, they are so spongy and cute! So are the floral pots and jars.

Desert Rose pottery. I have all the plates too. I grew up with it and my mom was going to give it to the Goodwill. I said uh uh..I'll take it. I've used it as my only dishware for 30 years or so. :)

Have we really figured out the fizz secret?  So Nadia, 6 TABLESPOONS of tea?  For a 6 litre jar?  How many bags is that, I wonder?

Thanks ladies!  I might brew up now and let it sit for the rest of the day, Scobes can move house tonight.  Then hubby can be there to wrinkle his nose when I touch it.

• Like 1

Clearly I need a heat thing.

Or to move to Australia or Canada.

When do I wave the white flag and declare my SCOBY experiment a bust?

Noooo, keep going.  I've actually been facilitating a bit of SCOBY migration down here.  On sunny days I've taken the jar to the laundry which gets more sun (making sure it sits out of direct sunlight) so that it can enjoy the warmer room.  Then in the evening when I'm cooking it comes back to the kitchen.  I think that may have helped it along.

• Like 1

Have we really figured out the fizz secret? So Nadia, 6 TABLESPOONS of tea? For a 6 litre jar? How many bags is that, I wonder?

Thanks ladies! I might brew up now and let it sit for the rest of the day, Scobes can move house tonight. Then hubby can be there to wrinkle his nose when I touch it.

Nadia may have figured it out. So exciting. One tea bag = one tsp. 3 tsp = 1 TBS.

They are super fun to touch. Very spongy and slick. Hubby should touch it too. It will be fun for him.

• Like 1

Ok, so Hannah at KombuchaKamp reckons 4-6 teabags per gallon of water ...  Bump it up to 18 teabags?  Holy moly  :o

I have extra-strength teabags chez moi ...  I reckon 12 might be a good starting point.  Argh, so excited to see what happens.  If it's true, tea sales will go up everywhere!  (Well, we're all situated anyway).

Ha, I'll try and tempt him.  I know where he'll be.  Hovering behind my shoulder pulling faces and making "ew" noises.  He;ll have a lovely time just doing that!

• Like 1

Sophie, how about you go with the recipe for the first time? There is a reason this recipe is everywhere. I am just a happy loser who fails to convert and read attentively.

Your description of hubby is hilarious. I see it so vividly. Haa.

Sophie I agree with Nadia. Just go with the recipe. Nadia and I have had a long running convo about fizz. Ignore us. But..please will you take a picture of your grossed out and flumoxed hubby? That would be so fun for us. :)

I really don't want to spoil the fun but I measured only the first time :) I sort of wing it every time. But my tea is super strong black and green.

########################

Seriously..pixie dust.

Ok, I'm scaling the KombuchaKamp recipe for about 5 litres so that'll be 8 teabags and 1 and 1/3 cups of sugar.

If there's no fizz after 2nd fermentation you can bet I'll be upping the tea though!

I'll try and snap hubby for you :)

We need more photos together.  Our parents are on the "when are we getting grandchildren" train so perhaps a family photo with our new baby will shut them up for a bit.  (Out of terror of what we'll sub in next!).

• Like 2

Lol. My daughter is 27 so I already filled that bill. I have a hilarious story about booch and my 88 year old mom though. Have to take Olivia out before she bites me but as soon as I get back.