Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi! Susan had a wonderful idea of having one place where it is all things related to making/brewing Kombucha could be asked and answered. There are several of us that are newbies at this (me) a

Awesome idea! Plus one for the n00bs right here ... Three weeks ago I didn't know what kombucha was, and now I (hopefully) have a pet SCOBY growing in my kitchen. Either that or I am farming mould.

Just thought I'd share a pic of my 2 1/2 gallon SCOBY and brew, Denver, started by a dear friend and jazz musician several years ago from a bottle of GT's. He passed it along to me when he moved

Posted Images

Mo, goat doesn't do the job? Sorry :D

We sold that goat! A single goat is a lonely goat is a destructive and needy, whiney, crying goat. She had attached herself to my husband so much so that he had to stay in the yard morning to night. We had read this about goats but didn't believe it until we saw it for ourselves. When we move to our land we can have a whole herd of goats.

Susan. I was doing tablespoons. OMG. Fizz secret revealed?

I do same method as Michele. Brew it and let sit overnight. Any way works as long as there sweet tea there. Touch scoby with clean hands and you are good.

Oh no, needy goat. That doesn't sound like fun. Who would have thought that they are like that?!

post-12442-13703102214268_thumb.jpg

Susan, they are so spongy and cute! So are the floral pots and jars.

Desert Rose pottery. I have all the plates too. I grew up with it and my mom was going to give it to the Goodwill. I said uh uh..I'll take it. I've used it as my only dishware for 30 years or so. :)

Have we really figured out the fizz secret?  So Nadia, 6 TABLESPOONS of tea?  For a 6 litre jar?  How many bags is that, I wonder?

Thanks ladies!  I might brew up now and let it sit for the rest of the day, Scobes can move house tonight.  Then hubby can be there to wrinkle his nose when I touch it.

Clearly I need a heat thing.

Or to move to Australia or Canada.

When do I wave the white flag and declare my SCOBY experiment a bust?

Noooo, keep going.  I've actually been facilitating a bit of SCOBY migration down here.  On sunny days I've taken the jar to the laundry which gets more sun (making sure it sits out of direct sunlight) so that it can enjoy the warmer room.  Then in the evening when I'm cooking it comes back to the kitchen.  I think that may have helped it along.

Have we really figured out the fizz secret? So Nadia, 6 TABLESPOONS of tea? For a 6 litre jar? How many bags is that, I wonder?

Thanks ladies! I might brew up now and let it sit for the rest of the day, Scobes can move house tonight. Then hubby can be there to wrinkle his nose when I touch it.

Nadia may have figured it out. So exciting. One tea bag = one tsp. 3 tsp = 1 TBS.

They are super fun to touch. Very spongy and slick. Hubby should touch it too. It will be fun for him.

Ok, so Hannah at KombuchaKamp reckons 4-6 teabags per gallon of water ...  Bump it up to 18 teabags?  Holy moly  :o

I have extra-strength teabags chez moi ...  I reckon 12 might be a good starting point.  Argh, so excited to see what happens.  If it's true, tea sales will go up everywhere!  (Well, we're all situated anyway).

Ha, I'll try and tempt him.  I know where he'll be.  Hovering behind my shoulder pulling faces and making "ew" noises.  He;ll have a lovely time just doing that!

Ok, I'm scaling the KombuchaKamp recipe for about 5 litres so that'll be 8 teabags and 1 and 1/3 cups of sugar.

If there's no fizz after 2nd fermentation you can bet I'll be upping the tea though!

I'll try and snap hubby for you :)