Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Okay got distracted. I live in Oregon and my 88yo mom lives in San Diego where I grew up. We talk often. She thinks that I am foid obsessed. Oh well. So I asked her if she knew what kombucha is. She vaguely knew. I told her I was making my own. She said she knew about it because John W's mom swore by it. I was a little excited.

Desert Rose pottery. I have all the plates too. I grew up with it and my mom was going to give it to the Goodwill. I said uh uh..I'll take it. I've used it as my only dishware for 30 years or so. :)

••••••••••••••••

Beautiful pottery. Agreed.

Scobes has been rehomed!

CAM00110_zps1131d49d.jpg

Straight down to the bottom.  Submarine SCOBY.  (Sorry it's hard to see).

CAM00111_zps2ea6e69b.jpg

No photos of hubby, sorry guys :(  He was not in the photo mood.  Wouldn't touch SCOBY.  Pulled faces, just as I suspected he would.

Ok so I should be receving my SCOBY tomorrow - excited and nervous!  I still need to find a gallon jar.  Also, I have lots of different fabrics - should it be covered with 100% cotton, or I have cotton muslin as well?

Ok so I should be receving my SCOBY tomorrow - excited and nervous!  I still need to find a gallon jar.  Also, I have lots of different fabrics - should it be covered with 100% cotton, or I have cotton muslin as well?

I just use a paper towel.  A pretty cloth towel would be prettier, though.

• Like 1

I just use a paper towel.  A pretty cloth towel would be prettier, though.

Re quantities this is from the instructions I got with my kit and followed myself

Okay, boil 4 litres of water. Put 12 tea bags into your container, and then add between 320 and 400 grams of sugar to the container. We usually go for nearer 340 grams, but this is preference. (If you are using several smaller containers divide these quantities between the containers).

Re quantities this is from the instructions I got with my kit and followed myself

Okay, boil 4 litres of water. Put 12 tea bags into your container, and then add between 320 and 400 grams of sugar to the container. We usually go for nearer 340 grams, but this is preference. (If you are using several smaller containers divide these quantities between the containers).

Wow, your recipe is different! So much more sugar. Basically it's 0,8 gallon and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. More tea as well. Interesting. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have SCOBY envy.

Mine has been going for 10 days I think. I have very little happening!!

KB, I think you and I started on the same day. We're in the same boat. No SCOBY sightings yet in my jar. :(

I have SCOBY envy.

Mine has been going for 10 days I think. I have very little happening!!

KB, I think you and I started on the same day. We're in the same boat. No SCOBY sightings yet in my jar. :(

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm pretty sure my first scoby took 30 days. in Minnesota. during the winter.

Be patient. :)

If you can't see anything developing you can taste a little- it should taste much less like sweet tea- if it still tastes like sweet tea you could try agitating it, warming the vessel in a sink of warm water or adding a bottle of plain from the store.

I will sneak a SCOBY photo op later. mm - that is VERY helpful info! With the mild to chilly weather here I have no doubt it will take a while. I am trying to be patient but with such SCOBY success all around it is hard!

LadyM - clearly ours is going to be well worth the wait!

It will happen KB and LadyM, there is something going on at least, isn't there?  Something a bit scummy looking?

I just found the prettiest SCOBY ever on reddit.  Apparently this is what happens when you use green tea and hibiscus tea to brew ...

http://imgur.com/a/lPBAx?gallery#ReblCOu

I think my SCOBY would probably try to jump its bones if it saw it.

• Like 1