Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Lily's so cute!  Photo with beautiful girl + handsome booch = can't miss.

praxisproject, I'm not an expert at all, but does it make you feel sick when you drink it?  If I drink or eat anything which makes me feel sick, my general tactic is to cease and desist.  Maybe try a bit more when you feel better - if it happens again, maybe it is the culprit.  I wouln't have a clue how it interacts with antibiotics, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon :)

Hope you feel better.

Question!

I started brewing my first batch on Tuesday and things appear to be progressing well.  Lots of yeasty threads, brew is quite murky and getting lighter, Frank is a busy bee and has moved around a bit, currently hanging out near the top.

CAM001201_zpsa32b4eea.jpg

Here's my question: a film has grown right across the surface of the brew - is this my baby?  If this is the case, how is it ever going to get thick enough for me to be able to move it?  Or is the baby that big clump?  I thought the clump was yeast as there are lots of yeasty threads dangling down from that point and I thought it was just the top of the thread.

CAM00123_zps05ab1530.jpg

Argh, so anxious!  Looking for Tuesday when I'll start testing!

Praxis just sip and go slowly. It's not typically something that would make it worse but some people who aren't used to it have to start slowly. I don't know if you are new to it or a seasoned booch guzzler. :)

Cheers Susan! I guess I'm worried I'll end up with this paper thin pancake baby which will disintegrate when it's time to bottle and I have to move it! Have to have faith :)

I remember the feeling. Once they form a film like that they thicken up fairly fast. I think it will be fine to move by the time your booch is ready. :)

• Like 1

I taste tested mine last night, nearly ready I think, so hard to judge! I will have another taste this evening, it will be 9 days on.

Exciting!  Have you started thinking about flavourings yet, or are you going to go plain for the first batch?

I have to say that the first batch is so hard to know when its ready. In fact, it takes some time and batches to really nail it. I still struggle with that. Derval because you have the heating pad of some sort (right?), chances are its darn close.

Exciting! Have you started thinking about flavourings yet, or are you going to go plain for the first batch?

I will go plain first batch. My starter recipe was very strong very sweet green tea do it should have a good flavour.

Oh so cool, first batch-ers. I've never waited for that long. Hmm. By day 7 it's vinegary to me already. Maybe i should bottle half and leave the rest for days for testing purposes.

I've made one batch with flavored tea - white tea+green tea+jasmine pearls+white hibiscus. I've just tried it, OMG. I am not flavoring this one at all. Perfect. White/green tea needs to be brewed longer 100%, so I will keep testing. Green tea batch is not that flavorful, so I will add fruits for sure. I am thinking mixing with my giant herbal teas collection.

Have you ever tried it, herb teas fir flavorings., Any new flavors, Susan? Have you made beets/thyme? I am out of ideas for the new jar haha.

Nadia, I am going to bottle my two new batches today. I am going to bottle some plain. I'm making a beet salad for dinner on Tuesday so since I am buying beets..I think I will go with beets and thyme. Or beets and mint? Beets and ginger? I'm kind of over the fruit thing.

Nadia- I love using herbal teas to flavor. Had dinner at a girlfriends last night and sampled 3 of hers- all herbal. One was tulsi rose tea (my favorite, tulsi is an African chill-out, happy times herb), one was a bag of tea called "skin detox" also with rose and other stuff, and the other was coriander and hibiscus (which I was trepidatious with due to AIP. All delicious. I love the color of hibiscus and the flavor of rose is always welcome.

Yes, I've read in your log, M and wanted to ask. She is flavoring as a second stage, not brewing with herbal tea, right? I think I've read that herbal tea doesn't have enough tanins for scoby to eat.I love tulsi tea too, it's on my list for sure.

Yes that's correct Nadia- though I have heard that Jasmine Green tea is suitable for brewing. I took a tulsi rose fleabag from her and dropped it in a quart of booch in the fridge last night and this morning it already has the flavor. If you want your herb tea flavored to do a second fermentation for carbonation just add a little honey or sugar and leave them out like you would for fruits.

Maybe if they were finely grated. I would probably add raisins or honey too.

But maybe they are fine on their own because beet kvass ferments with only beets salt and whey.

How's that for an answer that's not an answer :/

Yes, green tea totally worked. Thanks, M. I will try my herbal teas and report. I actually have one baby beet baked. I actually think beets + orange. Orange gives fizz and should balance beets out. Hmmm.

SCOBY update:  It is getting thicker!  We are at about an 1/8th of an inch, completely covering the surface.

I think in a week I will be able to start brewing my first batch.  So excited and so jealous of all of you.  At the same time, I am looking forward to getting all of these yummy flavors from all of you!

• Like 1

I am trying to make my SCOBY.  I used CT raw multi green instead of plain and used two cups tap water and two cups distilled.  Should I scrap and start over?  I just wasn't thinking clearly. 

Any guidance would be appreciated.