Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Okay, honestly now.....on a scale of Julia Child to toaster waffle, how hard is it to start making your own?  

I tried my first Kombucha yesterday (GT Cosmic Cranberry), and I'm intrigued.  But I don't want to start a project that I will end up abandoning in a big-yet-messy hurry.

Also, is living in a climate where my coconut oil and red palm oil are always liquid at "room temp" going to be an issue for making my own booch?

First, I think your climate will only help your booch making.

Second, I have found it a very easy process with just a lot of waiting.  If you can brew a cup of tea, you can make your own booch!  Getting the SCOBY started is easy, it just takes time.  Passive, hands off time. 

• Like 3

Kb..lucky duck on your weather and booch happiness. Don't you and MM live in the same area? She is one of the two original Booch experts.

Nadia..your hibiscus looks way chunkier than mine right (it's beautiful)? Easy to break or chop up so you can measure it.

"Question: how big can you make the first ferment batch? I've got my original SCOBY and my baby in a 3-gallon jar but still keep putting in 8 cups sweet tea. I could fit nearly double that in there. any reason why I shouldn't? Would it just take longer?"

LadyM, I would think you could get away with a gallon but I haven't seen the thickness of your SCOBY.  It may take a touch longer depending on the the thickness of the two.  Perhaps wait until your have one more baby, but I wouldn't hesitate then to double your batch.  Kumquat sounds super interesting!  Would love to hear how that turns out!

Hello from triple scoby turned pink in hibiscus pool! Previous batch turned a bit bitter and blah. Missed the point of bottling. Saved most of it with dried berries/apple/teas mix. Still very strong. Maybe I should use it like espresso shots in the morning :D

post-12442-13717744856523_thumb.jpg

I can't stop loving white tea. It translates flavors so much better. Took a sip of raspberry/mint (angels are singing), rhubarb/pomegranate (awesome) and dried rosebuds (very interesting).

Also I've bottled the rest of white tea brew. I ended ip with raspberry/lavender, pear/fig/vanilla, mango/blueberry, mango (second chance), pear/peach/ginger and fig/blueberry/vanilla.

post-12442-13717744985059_thumb.jpg

Lady M, you can brew any amount, it just will take more time. If you won't take babies out it will come to a regular 7-10 days. Faster when warm.

Okay but wait..I read that White tea doesnt have enough caffein to support SCOBYs. Are the white teas a flavoring?

Oh no, I hope not!  I was just going to brew with straight white tea!

Okay but wait..I read that White tea doesnt have enough caffein to support SCOBYs. Are the white teas a flavoring?

What?! You don't read every single post I write?!?! Ahaha

Ok, I brewed a batch with loose tea mix that was labeled as white. It had some of green tea mixed in per label. This time I've mixed pure white tea with Oolong. 3:1 approximately. White tea takes more time to brew.

I have bubbles!

post-6147-0-19066900-1371779537_thumb.jp

Here was the sample I tapped today.  It is tasting quite smooth; no sour at all.  This is different than the last taste which had a vinegar yet sweet note to it.

I decided to tap 2 bottles.  I have one of just strawberry and another of peach melba (peach/raspberry).  I have blueberries, but I really want to wait until I have ginger.  I have them tucked away in a dark cabinet and will give them a burp on Saturday.

This weekend I will get some more fruits and such for flavors.  I have another 1/2 gallon cooling down now and will add that back in tomorrow morning, as I am doing continuous brew.

So tickled with myself!   :)

• Like 2

I took my vessel down from the cabinet this morning to add in my brewed tea.  I was able to peek inside!

Nadia update - baby Susan SCOBY is growing nicely! 

I peeked at my 2 bottles this morning, and decided to give them both a quick burping.  Oh yes, these are going to be fizzy! :D

I am so psyched to NOT buy any $3.59 bottles of booch this weekend! 

• Like 1

brought my kombucha into work today, in an old marina jar.  ^_^  Co-workers thought it was sangria, or wine, or some type of nasty drink.  Didnt believe me when I said tea.

Most of my co-workers have never even heard of kombucha; forget about considering making their own!  Which flavor and what did you think?

• Like 1