Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Thanks Meg :)

"I just burped my 2 bottles.  One geysered already!  Should I move to the refrigerator now?  How do you know when your second ferment is "done done"?"

If you are geysering KB, I would say it's safe to refrigerate.  Once it's settled a bit from the fridge you can open one and taste, if it's not flavored strong enough to your liking, keep it out for a few more days. 

The anticipation was just too great!  I opened the peach raspberry and put the strawberry in the refrigerator.

Check this out!

post-6147-0-00234300-1371943800_thumb.jp

post-6147-0-21300200-1371943812_thumb.jp

The flavor was good, but likely would have been better cold.  

I also picked up some more "additives" for more bottles, including a blueberry concentrate.  The ingredients were "blueberry concentrate". :)  That with some ginger I hope will become my own gingerberry!

Lizzard - that sounds amazing!!

• Like 1

Dried fruit and concentrates are always available/cheaper. Dried fruit have high sugar content = fizzzzzz. I guess that's it.

Kb, forgot to tell. Taste comes out way more after a night in a fridge, you are right!

Note to self and others - don't forget to label. Barbie drinks. Fresh figs make booch pink <3. Now what. post-12442-13719546857256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful bottles from eeeeeveryone!

Brewing vat of white tea, pale girly SCOBY looks ready to get to work.  Off to shops in a bit with hubster to buy another big jar.  (He announced this morning "Might have to have a bit more kombucha today!" - the progress, it is happening).

• Like 3

So the answer on white tea was that you can brew with it, it's not just for flavoring? As I get closer to starting I think I'm going to go back through this whole topic. There's so much I missed because I wasn't there yet!

Scooby is progressing nicely. Today is the 10 day mark, thick clear bubbly stuff all over the top. Picture later.

• Like 1

yes you can brew with it, supposedly makes a lovely floral brew.

The ginger bottle I made turned out great - just a smidge of grated ginger is enough, maybe half a tsp. I made another bottle of that todayy but added some bits of lemon flesh too.

I have a bottle ferementing with raisins in it - looks funny - I bet the booch engorged raisins are going to taste amazing even if it dooesn't flavour the batch much.

Speeaking of fermented goodies a FB friend hooked my up with a Korean lady who makes her own kim chee, meeting her tomorrow to get some.

Yes, white tea works, but some of green tea has to be added to be safe. I would brew a standard recipe for the first time and figure out the details of the process first. It is a matter of personal preferences too I think. Black tea gives bold flavor and I love it plain. It gives interesting results with flavoring, but I find that it takes bold flavors best. My fav were strawberry, apricot and cherry. It flavors with teas good too. Green gives grassy flavor. I don't like it plain, but maybe it depends on the quality of tea. I had non fancy teabags. Ginger and mint were the best pair. White tea (with a tad of green) was super light and took all the fruit flavors well. Now I am brewing hibiscus/black and green/white.

Sophie, she is sooo pretty. Ah my ugly monsters want to be like her.

Derval, so exciting! I have ordered water kefir grains and want to play with it. Restless crowd, always keeping busy with food projects.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried garam masala in their booch. I was smelling my spices to try to find something that reminded me of third eye chai, and that was the closest I could find.

I just realized how ridiculous that would sound anywhere but here.

Kb-you've put ideas in my head for an Independence Day cocktail!

• Like 1

Tonight I FINALLY bottled the mango blackberry lime jalapeño! When I had leftover purée, I heated it and poured it over salmon. Quite good!

I also made blueberry/ginger, raspberry/lemon/ginger and watermelon/lime/mint.

Will keep you posted!

• Like 3

Kb, I am super interested in hearing how the watermelon/lime/mint comes out, it sounds so refreshing!

I opened my Orange Beet Spice today and it was really tasty and the color made me really happy!

post-13029-0-12753200-1372201625_thumb.j

*edit, sorry for the sideways pic, didn't send this from my phone and couldn't wanna take the time to change the orientation ^_^

• Like 2